WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#196   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 AM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States
Re: Sargent: Portrait Challenge for April & May - Extended into June!

I am considering this work as a big challenge and still a WIP. I started last weekend and I am still working on it. I became fascinated in how this artist worked with his brushes and a limited palette. He used ivory black according to many experts and I had a hard time using dark colors since pastel does not have deep dark tones unless black is used. I used a lot of black in order to bring the values to a decent level.
I used an Ampersand board, 16x19, gray toned. I started with the hard pastels, then followed by the Unison and Schminke, and pastel pencils occasionally. I would like to have some C & C.
  #197   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Incredible. Do you think you'll do one in oils? Would love to see that.
  #198   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Lyons, Oregon

Hails from United States

It is really good. I like your pastel strokes. Has a painterly feel. Very nice. Terry Ludwig pastels have some wonderful darks. Although I think you did well with black.
  #199   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Moe,

This is incredible! You have excellent control of the light and dark. Like the colors around both eyes, the violet on the our right eye lid. I am very happy with it if it were mine. Do not know too much to suggest more improvement.
Looking forward to learn what more could be done. Thanks for sharing.

Kim
  #200   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Amrits: Thank you for your comment. I wish I could try oils but due to my job I could not find the time to dedicate to oil alone for obvious reasons. In fact, many years ago I painted "Lady Agnew" using oil. I may show it one of these days.
Carmel: Thank you for your comments. Yes, my wife who is my main critique, mentioned to me that the painting resemble an oil work. She is no painter! By the way, I used American Works pastels, but again, I have to use black soft pastels.
Kim: Thank you for your comments. Since you mentioned the darks and lights, I am obsessed on values! I feel that values are probably more important than colors(personal opinion), and I will do anything to render the proper values to a portrait. I have read many books and magazines regarding values, and lately, the use of "NOTAN" for portraits, which is how paintings can use the harmony of the darks and the lights.
  #201   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 PM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Hi,
I decided to give some touches to this portrait especially at to his left ear so it will be less conspicuous and follow the angle of the face. I also increased the values at the forehead, and I think I am now done. Thank you.
  #202   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Moe,

Thanks for the update. I do see the value increased in the forehead and I love both the before and after. You technical skill make the pastel strokes look so fluid. My current teacher has a painting with strokes just like that. I like my teacher, he can do pastel, oil, charcoal etc.

May I ask, in what book the "NOTAN for portaits" are demonstrated. Or where can I read more about this? It sound very interesting. Thanks

Kim
  #203   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Thank you Kim.
NOTAN is a Japanese word that means something like harmony of the darks and lights. In fact, I saw the definition and the application in one of the forums in wetcanvas, and I believe it was in EXPLORE SUBJECTS, FIGURE, THE. Of course, if you google notan for portraits it will give you the different websites that you can attend to. I think that the concept of Notan is mainly applied for still life and landscaping, subjects that I am not very familiar with.
I also believe that the old masters like Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Velasquez, and Sargent, to name a few, use the concept of dark and light to their advantage and to their greatness in portraiture.
  #204   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast
Mississauga

Hails from Canada
Smile Re: Sargent: Portrait Challenge for April & May - Extended into June!