Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone How to tell what type of hair is in a brush

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to watercolor. One thing that I have yet to try is natural hair brushes. All of my brushes up until now have been synthetics (primarily due to cost). However, I was going through some old craft supplies last night, and I happened across an old paintbrush my mom had given me many, many years ago. I had never used it, though I think she had used it for something (not sure what). The bristles seem to be in decent shape, although they are bent slightly due to the way they were stored. It’s still in its package, though the package has been opened.

Anyway, the package says its a camel hair brush. I’ve never heard of people using camel hair for watercolor, so I was looking up more info on it and….apparently “camel hair” brushes aren’t really camel hair? From what I read they can be squirrel, goat, pony…any number of different things, or a combination. The packaging doesn’t have any info about what type of hair is actually used, and since it’s a very old brush (and a craft brush at that) it’s unlikely I would find any info about it online.

My question is, is there any way to tell what type of hair might be in a brush if there’s no info on it? I didn’t know if there were some characteristics that might help narrow down what it might be. Also, just out of curiosity, are “camel hair” brushes good for watercolor? It seems pretty soft, and it held a fair amount of water when I tried it, so I feel like it might be usable.

Thanks in advance!

indraneel

It’s a catch all term. Could even be ox hair. If the tips are not original, it might only be good for scrubbing. Even with original tips, it is unlikely to perform well since they were made to a price point in the first place. I would keep it as a keepsake in its package.

ErnstG

Der Name des Haares klingt sehr verdächtig.[/COLOR]
            Probieren Sie den Pinsel einfach aus! [/COLOR]
            Wenn er gut ist, kann man ihn weiter benutzen.
            Wenn nicht, dann für niedere Dienste verwenden.
            Im Zweifelsfall, wenn es reines Kamelhaar ist,
            kann man einen Mantel-Stoff daraus weben lassen.
            [/COLOR]

The name of the hair sounds very suspicious.
            Just try the brush!
            If it’s good, you can keep using it.
            If not, then use for lower services.
            In case of doubt, if it is pure camel hair,
            you can weave a coat fabric out of it.

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
            Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
            Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Macarona

I think pony hair is sometimes issued as camel hair.
                In one of my watercolor books list for watercolor different hairs and on of them is
                “zobel” hair, but I have never seen a “zobel” hair brush.

kind regards Macarona
                Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
                Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

oldey

If it is soft and holds a fair amount of water it could be squirrel. Those brushes were made from a variety of material and were made to be inexpensive alternatives. I say if you find that it works for you just use it. I have some cheap brushes that I like and use. For example….cheap hake brushes for large washes. High end larger brushes are way more expensive. Whatever does the job!! It’s cool that you have materials from your mom. How lucky you are!

Thanks all! I will try to do some more testing with the brush, but so far I’m on the fence about using it. I like how soft it is, but of course the downside to that is that it doesn’t hold it’s shape very well. But it might be good for large washes, assuming that the hairs don’t fall out, which I’ve seen a lot with the cheaper brushes I have. Since it’s labeled as a “craft” brush, I have to think it probably wasn’t expensive…and my mom probably wasn’t buying expensive supplies, but that doesn’t mean it’s not good.

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully it will be useful for something. If not, I will be sure to post a picture of the very tiny coat I make out of it. ;)

Amy

jyaan

I think pony hair is sometimes issued as camel hair.
                        In one of my watercolor books list for watercolor different hairs and on of them is
                        “zobel” hair, but I have never seen a “zobel” hair brush.

Zobel is German for sable

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.