WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England
Re: Art shows when you don't want to sell the piece. Advice?

Put a reasonable price on it and make sure your mate gets in there first and buys it. Problem solved.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

30% or 40% ??? Where to you live, Ohio?

Trust me, I know how cheap many things related to art are in Ohio... even though Cleveland is a large city with a world-class museum, orchestra, and other cultural amenities. 50%... 60% or more was not uncommon in New York. 40% was the common commission in Cleveland... although we charged 30% as an artist-run gallery and there were several other similar galleries or art institutions that charged a similar rate.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:25 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

In Cleveland... and later in New York... there was a group of artists that exhibited under the moniker, Art Without Walls. The group cut deals with some real-estate developers to help demo and clean industrial warehouse spaces. In return, they were given space within these buildings for a period of time in order to stage art exhibitions. The art wall hung from the ceiling rafters or on temporary rolling walls.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
In Cleveland... and later in New York... there was a group of artists that exhibited under the moniker, Art Without Walls. The group cut deals with some real-estate developers to help demo and clean industrial warehouse spaces. In return, they were given space within these buildings for a period of time in order to stage art exhibitions. The art wall hung from the ceiling rafters or on temporary rolling walls.

I've been looking at such for the last year. Because there are so many empty high street shops here in the UK there is a government initiative to use the empty spaces.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
Put a reasonable price on it and make sure your mate gets in there first and buys it. Problem solved.
only you'd lose 50% of your money that the gallery would take.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
only you'd lose 50% of your money that the gallery would take.

Is that the amount a local art society exhibition charges? If so one could sell it cheaply.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 07:34 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
I'm all for honesty. This sort of thing is what gives artists a bad name online. Many artists put "sold" with their paintings online, when it's clear (something only a blind person or family member would pay for) that's not the case.

I could mention a number of artists in prestigious museums who give art a bad name with something only a blind person or a family member would pay for, and yet there it is on the museum wall, after being paid for with millions of museum money. That is not even mentioning the "art" pieces that have been legitimately mistaken for garbage by custodial staff and tidied up... I would not be at all so sure that those amateur artist pieces have not been sold.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I like your attitude, but in my case, I cannot devote a big chunk of my time and money (for supplies, transportation, overhead etc,) for the joy of creating. I also do not think of myself as a crass materialist. There's nothing like a paycheck to tell you you've done a good job.

I have a few pieces that I have decided never to sell. They just sit in my house. I tinker with them occasionally. They are my version of the classic hobby car in the garage. They are usually my worst pieces and I am embarrassed to show them in public. The kinds of things that have major flaws that I am just too lazy to fix-- or "learning pieces."

Last edited by Use Her Name : 09-20-2019 at 09:04 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Lord of the Arts

I have a couple of paintings that I am glad have not sold yet. I have a few that sold that I miss terribly. Mostly I love selling paintings. It means someone else loves my work enough to want to trade me something of value for it.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
30% or 40% ??? Where to you live, Ohio?

Trust me, I know how cheap many things related to art are in Ohio... even though Cleveland is a large city with a world-class museum, orchestra, and other cultural amenities. 50%... 60% or more was not uncommon in New York. 40% was the common commission in Cleveland... although we charged 30% as an artist-run gallery and there were several other similar galleries or art institutions that charged a similar rate.

Like I said, I was only joking with you, but I figured your defenses would come out anyway. I know Cleveland is a great cultural city. I have been there a few times!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:46 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCrow
I have a couple of paintings that I am glad have not sold yet. I have a few that sold that I miss terribly. Mostly I love selling paintings. It means someone else loves my work enough to want to trade me something of value for it.

Same here, there are two I have sold that I always kick myself for. I miss them. One I sold for hardly anything early on and the other I sold for a lot, and both hurt the same. It didn't matter what I sold them for, I regret it terribly. Now, the ones in my own collection are just marked NFS on my website. I will not sell them, no way. No how!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2019, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
I like your attitude, but in my case, I cannot devote a big chunk of my time and money (for supplies, transportation, overhead etc,) for the joy of creating. I also do not think of myself as a crass materialist. There's nothing like a paycheck to tell you you've done a good job.

Actually, there is-- cash.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman