Home Forums The Learning Center Computers and Technology for Artists Digital or classical art?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    EllenRipley

Hi! I started visiting classes for the Art Academy, just to get in shape again. But future is in digital art. Now I wonder if I should go to these classes (that are expensive) or tutoring myself at home with digital art.
        What do you think?

Snow_tabby

Both forms of art are valid. It depends what you prefer. But in the long run I think traditional ways of making art can be more costly while digital art you only pay for the tools every one in awhile when upgrading computers for example.
            Really both forms have pros and cons.
            Actually one big con when creating traditional art is space.
            One big con for digital art is will your eyes take it. LOL😁

Although, classical art is getting rare these days but it has its own prime value and it requires certain top notch skills. Whereas in digital art anyone with knowledge of tools can become artist. If you are passionate about art classical art is the way and if you are looking to earn well than digital should be your choice.

Browse gallery of Arts:
            http://www.pastelartprints.com
            Facebook page:
            https://www.facebook.com/pastelartprints/

ShootingStar

I don’t even know how to describe my art.
                I take a photo, when send it for classic colouring/retouching, when redraw it on my pc.

ShootingStar

I don’t even know how to describe my art.
                    I take a photo, when send it for classic colouring/retouching, when redraw it on my pc.

Upd: got a few questions, you can read about it here

pa-paw

When will the world’s art museums start replacing the framed traditional paintings with digital prints or monitors? Not anytime soon.:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
                        [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

Elainepsq

I’ve been working digitally for years, but I don’t see Windsor and Newton, shutting down!

BlackHand

I have been working digitally for 22 years. I have been accepted into art galleries based on my digital work. It always felt like cheating and I always felt like my contribution was inferior to any painter. until I started painting, I never actually called myself an artist. I can create anything in photoshop but I can not create a good oil painting without a good oil painting robot. I’m not even joking there are oil painting robots now.

EllenRipley

I never knew there were painting robots. It sounds scary to me

DougC138

I never knew there were painting robots. It sounds scary to me

Most of them are no more sophisticated than what happens when you take a picture with a digital camera and then print it out from a printer. They can’t recognize related structures, so they can’t really do anything but general effects.

This is one such example of a drawing robot– https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sketching-robots …It is kind of impressive in a way, but it is also rather generic in its style. The placement and direction of many of the lines it draws has nothing to do with the form of what’s being drawn. I would consider works like this to be more of a novelty than art.

My particular interest is in small sculptures… I have noticed that there are a lot of people (selling online) who seem to have tried to use 3-D printers or CNC routers to bypass traditional techniques. Some of these items look okay, but many bear obvious marks of being machine-made. Others have errors of proportions used or details that are missing, as if the machine method they used could not reliably create tiny details so the person just made that part of the model a bit larger–or just removed those details entirely.

Somehow, I’m not worried.

SweetMonia

I prefer digital art, as it’s more flexible & less costly for the most part. I quite like the ability to fix my mistakes. When I originally started drawing with pencils, erasing too much made the paper a bit dirty, but that wasn’t always the case, fortunately.

Not sure if it’s alright for me to post this here, as I am still new here, but I wrote a post about Advantages & disadvantages digital art[/url] a while ago, which I hope you find useful.

Learn about drawing, digital art, perspective, proportions, graphics tablets & more in Sweet Drawing Blog. [/url]

Mike L

When will the world’s art museums start replacing the framed traditional paintings with digital prints or monitors? Not anytime soon.:)

Already happening. David Hockney‘s work was shown on monitors on the wall at the Metropolitan Art Museum in New York City in 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvR-WBeXtg

Not only are the original works on display, the above link shows the magnitude of digital art – museum-goers can actually watch the works being created in real time.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

ArtyShock

I think it really depends on what a person likes to do. Some of us enjoy looking on the screen drawing with a stylus, others love the smell of gouache and new canvas.
                                                    Personally I like digital art. I love that it has no limits in colors and textures. I like photo editing and enjoy playing with lights and curves. So I was surprised that there are people who can’t do this and are ready to pay to get their photo edited. The photo editing apps like this[/URL] are quite popular.

I think both forms of art will be needed in the future. You just need to think about what do you like to do most and afterward think how to make money on it.

Aaron

spam

https://www.orbitgraphics.com/

Whereas in digital art anyone with knowledge of tools can become artist.

How is it any different in classical art? Anyone who studies the basics of oil painting can become an artist. Maybe not a great one, but an artist nevertheless. :unsure:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.