Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Airbrush Recommendation

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    engine44

I would like to buy an airbrush kit for the purpose of adding finishing touches to acrylic paintings. These would include things like areas of glow, mist, fog, etc. These effects would add atmosphere to the paintings. I don’t need fine line capability. Could you recommend a moderately priced kit (less than $200) that would accomplish this? Thanks.

engine44

I would like to buy an airbrush kit for the purpose of adding finishing touches to acrylic paintings. These would include things like areas of glow, mist, fog, etc. These effects would add atmosphere to the paintings. I don’t need fine line capability. Could you recommend a moderately priced kit that would accomplish this? Thanks.

Edit of Post

serpentixus

I was in the same search as you are.
                I bought a AC100 compressor second hand for 90 euro (new = 180 euro), and a new set of chinese airbrush pistols (Fengda) BD-130 + BD-140 for 21 euro (amazon action price). Total of 111 euro and I am happy with it.
                The compressor AC100 (simair, sparmax, etc) is tankless, but it runs for hours without overheating and is silent. Wearing out this compressor is hard work.
                The chinese airbrush pistols is available under different brand names but are all from the same factory. They are rebranded by stores. I bought these because at first you have to learn about maintenance, technique, thinners, etc. Abusing these pens does only cost you a few dollars or euro’s if you did something wrong. Example: Replacing a Fengda needle = 3 euro. A Harder and Steenbeck needle = 15 euro. A Fengda nozzle = 4 euro, Harder and Steenbeck nozzle = 20 euro. When I get the hang of it, I’ll buy a Harder and Steenbeck or Sparmax and that will cost me 150 euro but I know I won’t destroy it in 1 week.
                You can also buy a compressor of Fengda but then the compressor with tank is very handy = Airbrush Set Fengda FD-186K. The compressor is the same as the tankless Fengda. The Fengda compressor without tank are overheated in 20 minutes and shut off with a thermal protection function. Then you have to wait 30 minutes before you can switch it on again. The factory producing the ac100 (tankless) claim you can run it all day long without overheating and last night I used it 2 hours and the compressor did not complain at all. I did not noticed very hot surface. The FD-186 has a tank for buffering air so the compressor can rest from time to time preventing overheating.

If you want a cheaper aurbrush pistol of a well known quality factory: take a look at Sparmax sp-35 (if you can find them) or Harder and Steenbeck Ultra, both around 70 euro.
                The Iwata eclipse seems to be a very good airbrush but prices are around 160 euro.

- Your best teacher is your last mistake -

airbrushgeek

I suppose you will always find people that prefer to buy a cheap airbrush first to then upgrade later on to better airbrush. It is true what serpentixus said about parts being cheaper for Chinese airbrush…but sometimes it can be difficult to find parts for those airbrush altogether….and they are also more likely to cause trouble than airbrush from more reputable brand (iwata, badger, H&S…). Those cheap airbrushes could also be very frustrating and could possibly turn you off completely from airbrushing..this is a risk.
                    I rather save a bit my money and buy a good airbrush like the Iwata HP-CS or a badger patriot 105…..
                    This is my point of view, I am not saying that I am right or anything, but just wanted let you know.
                    You can have a look at this post where you can find some good airbrush kits (airbrush & compressor bundles) for all budget.
                    Hope it helps
                    http://www.airbrushgeek.com/best-airbrush-kits/

James

If you have good budget, you can try for Senco PC1010N 1-Horse Power air compressor. This compressor will give you consistent air volume for small painting projects. Even the compressor is very popular for air brush painting.

Writer At Air Compressor Agency

I am not very much familiar with airbrush but the one i bought in my initial days was Master Airbrush KIT-SP19-20 which was excellent and cheap as well.

Browse gallery of Arts:
                        http://www.pastelartprints.com
                        Facebook page:
                        https://www.facebook.com/pastelartprints/

sprayingtools

I personally am a big fan of the PointZero Airbrush Dual Action Airbrush Kit, but the ones mentioned above work well too. Check out a summary of other options https://sprayingtools.com/best-airbrush-kit/

James

Air brush are best when doing something very solid

Writer At Air Compressor Agency

Snow_tabby

Why not purchase a used and in good quality set? I’d stick to a nice classic Paasche airbrush. A good all around airbrush. Plus the parts are usually easy to find.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.