WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
The Scribble Sketch Books

I've got four Art Journals already, each one has a different style, theme and medium except for some overlap between the All-Media Book and Water Folio One. Why I should open up a fifth is crazy, right? Except that before I bought those fancy cool journals, I used something else. ProArt Spiral Sketchbooks from Dick Blick.

These are cheap, $3 for the 4" x 6" one and about $8 for the 8 1/2" x 11" one that fits my scanner perfectly. They have 80 sheets of clean white 65lb sketch paper that doesn't take washes well, but I've washed in them anyway occasionally and let the cockles just happen. Front and back covers are black leatherette over heavy cardboard like the hardback Basic ones, but because they're spiral bound, the front cover and used pages flip all the way around for scanning instead of leaving a shadowed gutter. The pages are microperforated so I can pull out my stinkers or sell good drawings if someone wants one.

The previous wire bound ones I used were Strathmore Universal and cost about the same, but had a paper cover that gets battered fast. These stood up to travel and throwing around the room, cat clawing, all sorts of abuse and so they became my favorite sketchbooks as sketchbooks -- for the real sketchbook purpose of scribbles, sketches, tests, color swatches, notans, thumbnails... in short, all the cool stuff I've been doing a lot of lately in All-Media but also a lot more pencil drawing, charcoal and colored pencils.

The paper has enough tooth for colored pencils. So occasional sparkling small pieces of colored pencils realism emerge between the scribbly pages and it's all in one place.

I hadn't touched either the current 4" x 6" one or the current 8 1/2" x 11" one since the forum started. But tonight I found it again and used the next page. Here it is:

Red Spire
5 1/4" x 8 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pens
White ProArt Wirebound sketchbook paper
Photo reference by Carrollyn for June 2010 Southwest Challenge

Now... question for everyone reading this:

Do you want me to post the best pages from the earlier parts of this volume?

Do you want me to single out and post a few worst stinkers from earlier parts of this volume?

Or do you want me to just post what I'm doing now and let the past stay buried?

Three options, and you can chooose both "some best and some stinkers." I'm not going to try to feed in a few pages a day to put all of the current volumes in, but this is also the thread where Random Other Small Sketchbooks that get found and used will be posted. Just current stuff from Miscellaneous.

That includes the pocket moleskine with the thin pages, the nice Derwent hardback one that came with my Graphitints gift set I got on Clearance, that tiny Lama Li one that is losing pages ... the assorted random other sketchbooks that don't get used enough at once to merit their own thread. I collect sketchbooks and have lots. I rotate them usually. This thread is for the rest of the rotation.

But I'll post some oldies if requested from either or both ends of the extreme.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Re: The Scribble Sketch Books

Well, since I just resurrected an old sketchbook and posted a few old sketches before posting new ones (my old ones are from 1995 and 2000), I think you should post some of the old ones too. Maybe just the best ones. :-), although I suspect that your "stinkers" are probably better than our best.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

I think it would be great to see some of your older work too. A mix of best and so called stinkers. Will be interesting to see if your style has changed. Just so good to see someone so prolific. And willing to share.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you both! Okay, I'll scan in one "best" earlier page and one Stinker today. A lot of the pages in here, I didn't save scans of the whole page, just cropped to a given sketch.

The pretty page is fairly decent with good colored pencil drawings -- and a gap at the bottom that wasn't well shaped to add anything else. I was evolving toward my current page layouts. It doesn't have as much wasted space as some previous pages though. I think I did this on March 29th when that Scavenger Hunt started, though I might have started it in the middle. Very recent.

Now for the stinker. This horse is the first sketch in the book. I think I did it from life and looking at the markings, it might have been intended to be Felony. But the mane is pale like Brownie the pony. I think the legs are a bit too short for the body and don't like the horse's muzzle.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Robert you are so prolific sketching. Other than the fake journal. I have used 1/2 of one sketchbook over 3 years and that thread is only missing 2 sketches to be up to date.

Anyway, the scribble marker drawing is wonderful. I've always been afraid to try markers. Besides I have tons of colored pencils and would really like to add water color pencils rather than add another media, so markers will have to wait.

As to the poll, post what you want, it's always interesting to see what you come up with.

The page of scavenger hunt items is cool. I particularly like the shaving brush.

The horse from life is good. Some horses have shorter legs than others and the muzzle could just be the angle it was being drawn at.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

that old shaving brush is beautifully done

any and all is my vote!

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

See! I knew that your "stinker" would still be a good sketch. I really like that horse.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, thank you! Debby, thanks for pointing that out about my horse. I really wasn't too sure about her, but she was sketched from life last fall. I hope to get better with horses and the last ones I did, the Mother's Day card for my daughter, came out well. I do better with these Pitt Artist Pens than with actual markers, though I bought some. I'm thinking of reselling the Prismacolor markers on the Swap Shop when I get the Big Brush Pitt pens, as those are more permanent.

Michelle, thanks! There are other stinkers in this book though, I promise. I'll dig out another bad page tomorrow. But also another favorite page. This paper's really good for colored pencils.

Viv, the shaving brush is just old fashioned, it's actually new. My son in law bought that for me for birthday or holiday when we lived in Kansas because I liked his set -- and it's a lot cheaper using that and a cake of soap in a cup than to get cans of shaving cream or gel with propellant. The soap lasts and lasts and is just as good for shaving.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I used most of a page for this one, didn't lay it out to have another drawing on the page. But here she is, the cat from the current Weekly Drawing & Sketching Thread up in Drawing & Sketching Forum.

Fluffy Cat
5" x 7"
Derwent Tinted Charcoal Pencils
ProArt white drawing paper.
Photo reference by michaeleric for Weekly Drawing Thread June 7-13.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 09:32 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Cute cat, well drawn, but not as beautiful as Ari.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks! I agree, Ari is more beautiful. But she's sweet and very fluffy.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Cute cat. Interesting eye color she has.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Robert - Your sketches are always great! Yes the horses legs are a little short but some miniature horses have shorter legs like that. As a horse person, I think you gave it a good, honest attempt. I can't imagine you having any "stinkers sketches". Just post whatever you like. We will appreciate them all I'm sure.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you both! Debby, she had very bright orange eyes in the photo reference too, that's why I chose that pencil. It was a very close match. They were so striking, one of the reasons I had to sketch her.

Vivien, thank you! I didn't realize some miniatures had legs even shorter than that. I think I was working from life out at the farrier school, since I can recognize the markings on her.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Haven't been back to this one for a few days! I'm planning a pastel painting of one of the Pastel Spotlight challenge photos in the Soft Pastel Talk forum. Today I did a value sketch and two color sketches using Pitt Artist Pens in the Scribble Sketch Book.

Preliminary Sketches for June Spotlight Bird
8 1/2" x 11"
Pitt Artist Pens
ProArt sketchbook paper, white 70lb.
Photo reference posted in RIL by Scoller