WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:00 AM
WC! Guide

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter A quick sketch and other matters...

I'm still waiting for the new term to begin and have been sketching a lot, some plein air on holiday and at home and figures usually from croquis cafe videos and stills. I've been pondering on the value of the very short sketches. I've found that too much of them actually makes me rush virtually everything I do. They are great for limbering up but I now force myself into producing something that takes at the very least half an hour or so every day. Really, what is the rush? i wasnt too impressed by Larry Withers short sketch video, in fact I felt a lot better about my own short sketches after watching it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FDC...has_verified=1

And dont get me started on pencil holding. The basic tripod grip is fine for most of the time and doesnt seem to inhibit me from using my whole arm. I also use my pencil paint brush style and overhand for broad shading but there are so many people saying you should do it this way or that way. Enough of my wandering off, roll on live figure work again !

Here's a sketch from yesterday. It was about an hour or so but who's counting, I have plenty of time on my hands...

Last edited by DavidHH : 04-17-2019 at 11:05 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:20 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: A quick sketch and other matters...

I like this round pose- well done!

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:58 AM
WC! Guide

Thanks Bethany
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Lost in Texas...

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: A quick sketch and other matters...

Hey David, I like this one a lot. one of the many things I struggle with is creating the illusion of nice rounded shapes/forms. My drawings tend to appear flat if Iím not careful. I think you nailed it here. Nice full forms gracefully communicating volume. Itís very convincing. Well done. -E
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 AM
WC! Guide

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: A quick sketch and other matters...

Thanks Earl, I think using conte helps a lot. you can torture it and produce an incredible range of tone plus sanguine always helps the illusion of flesh

Last edited by DavidHH : 04-24-2019 at 08:25 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 PM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

I don't do really quick poses like 15 or 30 seconds, though I can see there could be a value of doing them sometimes... what you have done here spending a bit of time on it is really nice!

Mac
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2019, 03:26 AM
WC! Guide

Thanks Mac, where have you been?