WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States
John Singer Sargent

Currently my favorite painter of all time. In my world he's up there with Leonardo, Rembrandt, and Vermeer. THEY could have learned from Sargent, as he undoubtedly learned from them; as Mozart learned from Bach.

Sargent is the Mozart of the canvas for me. Not that they were contemporary of course. Totally different periods, schools, and media.
But to me they are stylistically similar.
Mozart gives your ear exactly what it wants and needs to hear, as the music unfolds.
Singer Sargent does the same with your eye.

I've been to multiple exhibitions (I'm from NYC), some with instructional guides. Not that I'm any "expert" but let's face it - his mastery is beyond question, even it it's not your cup of tea. I'm fickle and sure to change at some point, but I just love every single one of his paintings.

I've studied his brushwork. There are no tentative stabs at the canvas with a tiny brush (guilty). No try and try again to get it, pixel (as it were) by pixel. Not at all. Look where you will and there are 2 or 3 masterful strokes and they do everything. And not much blending on the canvas and I love that. He mixes a color and then, with total authority, lays it down in the absolute most perfect location. Zoom in (or get close if you're privileged to be in the presence of the orig) and you see messiness and roughness. It's uncanny. Step away and it snaps into place - like a Renoir or a Monet - who obviously are also at this rarefied sphere of incredible greatness but right now it's JSS for me.

Love any comments - I'm totally obsessed by his work and style right now.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States
Re: John Singer Sargent

He has been one of my favorites since high school. I've seen several of his pieces in person. I like that period of painting. Thomas Eakins is another master of the same genre, same caliber painter. Of course the sculptors, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi (statue of liberty), cowboy artists like Remington, and others. The late 1800's early 1900's period of realism had some amazing artists, as far as I am concerned.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
E.T., Quebec

Hails from Canada

I am also a fan of Sargent's, thanks for reminding me.
Here's a youtube link to 'The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit'.

http://https://youtu.be/-znOSWfAb_8
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribbey
I am also a fan of Sargent's, thanks for reminding me.
Here's a youtube link to 'The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit'.

http://https://youtu.be/-znOSWfAb_8

An old friend of mine (now deceased) was in her 70's when I was in my 30's. She was the granddaughter of one of the Boit sisters (one of the younger ones). She told a story that the daughter farthest in the shadows died very young. I wonder if the pose reflected that? I wonder if she was sick or ill at the time? It was interesting to actually know someone related to someone painted by a famous painter like Sargent.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I'm very familiar with the Boit sisters painting.
It's one of my very favorite paintings of all time.
It's absolutely flawless - which is not what makes is so great - but it is.

There are specific strokes on specific paintings that I love. Can you imagine getting that intimate with a painters work, that I can think of individual strokes. One is in his mustache in his self portrait. One is the far off finger of the dancer on top of the roof (not the flamenco dancer at night in the cantina) but dancing on the roof in Capri. But the Flamenco dancer at night with the three guitarists? Don't get me started. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2019, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Idaho Falls, Id.

Hails from United States

I'm awed by the vases every time I see that painting. I recently got an original printing of Charteris's book about him and it is now one of my treasures.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2019, 06:27 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

The vases are indeed a high point and I love them too. They are extraordinarily beautiful- as are the girls themselves.
Closely examine any feature on any Sargent work, and itís perfect. Absolutely perfect.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2019, 01:52 PM

I weep in front of Sargents work.

when my friends are overly critical of themselves I always remind them that Sargent erased his brush work over and over until he was satisfied.

It looks effortless and perfect but he worked just as obsessively as the rest of us to make it that way.
My British literature teacher like to remind us that all of the gods of literature were once human.

For every masterpiece there are hundreds of failures we don't see...
😊😎
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:41 PM

To me, Sargent was one of the all time great portraitists, particularly when he was painting more ďordinaryĒ people, rather than commissions for wealthy individuals. However, even the portraits of high society folks are incredible. I mostly paint landscapes, but I still leaf through books and on-line compilations of his portraits fairly often.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2019, 08:46 AM

BTW, I visited the Reynolda House museum in Winston-Salem, NC, last week and they have a large portrait of a society woman. I canít remember her name, but you canít take your eyes off the painting. I was able to view the painting up close, and Sargentís brushwork is simply incredible. The painting looks almost alive from a distance but the brushwork looks so simple and effortless up close ó which of course it isnít.

The guard on duty commented that I must be a painter because I was viewing the portrait so closely and from different angles. If youíre a painter, you canít help but be awed by Sargentís technique.

Last edited by TomMather : 03-18-2019 at 08:48 AM.