Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Painting Brick Buildings in Watercolor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    EarlM

Hello Friends,

I will soon start a painting of a brick church and would like advice on how to paint bricks. In the past I have applied a wash, varing the tone in places to create interest. After the wash has dried, I would add a sequence of bricks randomly across the building. I am really not into painting each brick since my painting style is loose.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

"You see, ya can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself" - Garden Party by Rick Nelson

My Blog:www.tandogart.blogspot.com

ReggieS

Earl,
            Welcome to the Watercolor forum!! There is a really great demo in the Learning Zone under Demos by Watercolor Lover on bricks. It is very well done.
            Can’t wait to see the painting when it is done!

Reggie

Life is short so savor every moment!

Studio-1-F

Here is a video on how to paint bricks. It’s big-time tedious but okay.

Also: Bricks: A Demo

Jan

Check out the section in the Learning Demos on Buildings. There are two demos there on painting bricks. See the link in my signature line.

Sylvia

First of all you often don’t need to paint all the bricks, a variegated wash and patches of bricks will often suffice.

The best way to paint bricks is to choose a suitable flat brush the length of a brick and paint the bricks with short downward strokes, ensuring that you break bond in subsequent courses. Also it’s best to use a palette mix which varies in colour.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Studio-1-F
                    Catwoman2

If you get a chance, you may want to check your local library for books by Richard Taylor. He has written a few books on how to paint buildings, and I believe he also has a DVD available.

Here’s a link to a book that might be of help to you — I have it, and I like it, but you may want to use the “Look Inside This Book” feature to see if the author’s style appeals to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Watercolorists-Painting-Buildings-Richard-Taylor/dp/0715309277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235141724&sr=1-1

Richard Taylor also has other books (much cheaper!) that sound somewhat similar, but I don’t have them, so I don’t have much info about them. Here are the links:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Painting-Buildings-Richard-Taylor/dp/0715320947/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235141280&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Buildings-Watercolour-Collins-Learn-Paint/dp/0007199090/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Ray Campbell Smith has a book on painting buildings in watercolor, and I’m sure I have seen it at either AC Moore or Michael’s, so you might be able to find it there (and be sure to look online for printable 40 or 50% off coupons!) Here’s the Amazon link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Buildings-Watercolour-Step-Step-Leisure/dp/1844480003/ref=pd_sim_b_3

I’m sure I have other books that demonstrate how to paint bricks, but I don’t have time to look right now. If you don’t get enough other suggestions by later today, I’ll be happy to check for you.

Susan

Studio-1-F

Claudia Nice’s book Painting Weathered Buildings in Pen, Ink, and Watercolor has a whole chapter entitled ‘Brick, Adobe, and Stone‘.

Jan

blossoml8

:lol: harveydunn – funny:)

Janice
                                "Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible"

Wishing to do a proper representation, I’d have a look for the mortars value, (same, darker or lighter than the bricks). Be aware that at times masons have left the mortar protruding rather than cut back. I’d see if there are stains coming down the building and how they affect the brick and the mortar, (moss and lichens for instance). Then I’d look for ornamental patterns in the brick laying, (these may be two or three dimensional). Also if the building is not at right angles to your view point you will need to work out some perspective… some vanishing lines to control your pattern. Once you have that figured out then as described above by others, you need only suggest the bricks, (and any patterns) both in some masking, a varied wash and later in some specific shapes. However, if you have been asked to do a very tight rendering you may need to put in some hours detailing the bricks more completely.
                                Have fun, Dave

Here’s one with every brick shown – started as a plein air pen and ink sketch.

This old building was built with alternate red and blue bricks.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Catwoman2

Lovely work, Doug! :thumbsup:

Susan

Great thread. I have rated it 5 Star, adn I hopt the mods will add this to the Learning Demo’s collection too. Too much info here to get lost..;-))

JJ
                                    Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
                                    MY BLOG
                                    My Youtube videos

EarlM

A hearty “Thank You” to my Wetcanvas Friends! I have reviewed the demos, digested the tips and advice and will now work on my painting. ~ EarlM

"You see, ya can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself" - Garden Party by Rick Nelson

My Blog:www.tandogart.blogspot.com

Neeman

Wishing to do a proper representation, I’d have a look for the mortars value, (same, darker or lighter than the bricks). Be aware that at times masons have left the mortar protruding rather than cut back. I’d see if there are stains coming down the building and how they affect the brick and the mortar, (moss and lichens for instance). Then I’d look for ornamental patterns in the brick laying, (these may be two or three dimensional). Also if the building is not at right angles to your view point you will need to work out some perspective… some vanishing lines to control your pattern. Once you have that figured out then as described above by others, you need only suggest the bricks, (and any patterns) both in some masking, a varied wash and later in some specific shapes. However, if you have been asked to do a very tight rendering you may need to put in some hours detailing the bricks more completely.
                                            Have fun, Dave

Dave,

And shadow:
                                            The brick on the mortar
                                            On the stone or slate themselves if they are not flat
                                            Ect, ect, ect….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.