Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Masking Fluid on Clothing: Remedy?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Rcanby

Well, this is embarrassing. I spilled quite a bit of masking fluid on my favorite sweatpants. It didn’t come out in the wash as I’d hoped. Is there a way to remove it? Thanks!

M.L. Schaefer

I’m thinking that once through the wash may have made any attempt to remove it kaput! When it first happened, I would have let it dry and then tried to pull/peel the masking off…not that it would have helped, but thats what I would have tried. Maybe if you googled liquid latex? But, I have made my favorite round-the-house blouses into my favorite painting blouses! They bear the many-colored badge(s) of my art and I wear them proudly :lol: :lol:

:heart: M.L.

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
            Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

LittleSkink

couple of long shot suggestions . . .

I have removed gum by freezing the item, -18C in a domestic freezer makes it brittle but you may need colder for Latex

Latex is damaged by oils, you could try scrunching baby oil or olive oil into it and see what happens – at least stuff will wash out

One way to be sure it will come out is keep it wet until you wash it – stick the whole item in a bucket of water if necc. Once it has dried you have a challenge on your hands

sashntash

I learned the lesson long ago – don’t ask me how :lol:

Have designated painting clothes… mine have splotches of paint and masking fluid and who knows what else all over them….. I’m sure there is some spaghetti sauce on there somewhere… from the pizza I was eating while waiting for paint to dry…. not to mention the dozens of coffee spills…..

yes.. painting clothes are a necessity !!!

Susan
                    in beautiful North Carolina
                    Retired and loving every minute of it !!!
                    Time to play......

juneto

I think anything harsh you use will destroy the fabric, or bleach it .
                        Try Googling or try acetone . Sorry
                        June:( :( :(

Follow your Bliss and the Universe will open doors for you , where there were only walls. Joseph Campbell

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/

Cyntada

Hmm, the mention of oil reminds me of a housekeeping tip I learned about 30-odd years ago, for getting chewing gum out of a kid’s hair. Peanut butter apparently works well. Never had to try it myself but if the sweats are ruined anyway, can’t cost you more that a couple tablespoons of Jif to find out.

Worth noting that in those days, most gum was probably still made of chicle, which is a natural latex. Good luck!

CK =)
                            I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                            DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada
                            querin

I don’t think it can be removed masking fluid is a latex made for cloth to stick it together.My in laws used it for producing handbags they used it to stick lining together.
                                querin

janinco

In the US we have a product called Goof Off. My husband is a contractor and this works on latex paint and caulk:
                                    Goof Off

Jan

MaMuffin

would turpentine work ? just a thought.

I think you now have a pair of Painting Pants…

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Greggo

I agree with CharM,

Congratulations!!

Now you have a favorite pair of painting sweats to wear!

and think how ‘freeing’ it is not to have to worry if something gets spilled again.

if you are worried about how clean your clothes are then you are not focusing on the painting– think of this experience as a positive experience.

Now you LOOK like a painter,

life is good

greg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Shirl Parker

I did this about 2 years ago and after a zillion washings it’s still not out. I think I’ll try Zest-it and let you know what happens.

Shirl
                                                http://picasaweb.google.com/shirlrparker/myart
                                                “Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.” - The Puppy Zone

Horsa

Ammonia might work as a solvent.

But most likely you now have a pair of painting sweats.

I do know hat meat tenderizer works wonders for getting blood stains out of even whites. I worked for a while as a veterinary technician. That trick should work on any protein based stains you get on your clothes.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

Rcanby

Thanks, everyone. I tried everything – perhaps the fuzzy texture (polar fleece) made them especially tenacious, but the pants remain tastefully splotched. With special lines of clothing for people to wear at resorts and gyms, maybe there is a market for one of a kind “custom decorated” artist clothing. Anyhow, I am about to become a trendsetter for the concept!

M.L. Schaefer

:clap: :clap: :clap: A conversation starter! :lol: :lol:

:heart: Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                                                            Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.