Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Standing on the Porch CompDesign Help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NanJoSimp

A friend has asked that I paint the scene of her son standing on the front porch…because this is a photo and nice composition for that, I think for the painting, there should be more foreground and maybe a bit more of the porch on the left. But, I could use help on how to properly set up the scene.
        Thanks

I think it is fine as it is, it shows clearly that he is on the porch staring at the misty background.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

virgil carter

I agree with Doug–the design and composition of the photo is strong as it is.

Adding more foreground and porch on the left simply adds more unnecessary information to the painting, and detracts from the figure who is the story and “star” of the painting.

If you edit anything, I’d soften and reduce the hard edges of the post so that the eye goes directly to the figure and stays there.

Good luck!

sling paint,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

La_

you could get away with adding more on the right, maybe enough to show more of that post, a bit of railing/deck and whatever that outbuilding is … i say this because the photo format is Very tall and Very narrow – what canvas size do you plan to use?

la

NanJoSimp

you could get away with adding more on the right, maybe enough to show more of that post, a bit of railing/deck and whatever that outbuilding is … i say this because the photo format is Very tall and Very narrow – what canvas size do you plan to use?

la

Yes, that’s my concern is the format vs canvas—-and composition is just not my strong suit…..the canvas will be 11 x 14

NanJoSimp

Virgil and Doug
                        Thank you for your input….since comp/design is not my strong suit, trying to get that on an 11×14 canvas is where I’m struggling.

~JMW~

Maybe try some editing ?
                            Of course that still leaves sides to be expanded, but you might need to do that for size anyway.. just a thought. I enhanced colors a bit just to see how it looked..

~Joy~

NanJoSimp

Maybe try some editing ?
                                Of course that still leaves sides to be expanded, but you might need to do that for size anyway.. just a thought. I enhanced colors a bit just to see how it looked..

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/24-Apr-2019/50585-1971111-1723789_10153665565528222_3313478614072168029_n001_1556036513727_002aa.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks…I don’t have a great photo editor program, but tried to enlarge it with what I have, and it didn’t work out all that well. I think that I’ll probably need to expand the top and some on the sides to make it fit on the canvas better….it will be a challenge but that’s how we improve, I suppose

La_

Yes, that’s my concern is the format vs canvas—-and composition is just not my strong suit…..the canvas will be 11 x 14

perhaps something like this … ?

la

(great color enhancement, jmw :thumbsup:

_____________________________________________
                                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

NanJoSimp

perhaps something like this … ?

la

(great color enhancement, jmw :thumbsup:

WOW..that’s awesome…thank you!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.