Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Knight Templar – more contrast?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tmwilliams

I’m doing this for a friend. I like it so far…but sense that it needs more contrast between the lights and darks.

Thoughts? I certainly don’t want to go too far…

9×7 on Arches 140lb using DS tubes.

Thomas

Artchrispy

I agree your instinct about contrast is correct. Plus the fabric is the same color and value as the background which washes him out. If you don’t want to mess with the fabric you could tone the background. He would look more solid against a dark background.

Christophervasil.com

tmwilliams

I was toying with that…that may be the way to go. What color would you recommend?

t

Artchrispy

Maybe a very dark green to complement the red. Here’s a quick flood fill with black for a visual.

I recently got into Iconography (short lived) but did a knight in gold leaf (metallic acrylic) in the Orthodox tradition. St George and the Dragon.

Christophervasil.com

tmwilliams

I wonder…if I do a light brownstone archway off to one side and terminating above his head with a dark interior…

tmwilliams

Maybe a very dark green to complement the red. Here’s a quick flood fill with black for a visual.[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/14-Jun-2019/131690-2022851-IMG_3066_1.jpg[/IMG]

I recently got into Iconography (short lived) but did a knight in gold leaf (metallic acrylic) in the Orthodox tradition. St George and the Dragon.
                            [IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/14-Jun-2019/131690-thumbnail_4.jpg[/IMG]

I played with iconography one, too. Lots of fun…I will return to it one day.

Artchrispy

I was toying with that…that may be the way to go. What color would you recommend?

t

Go for that! You can’t be afraid to take risks, even to the point of ruining a painting. You could always start over and get back to this point if necessary.

Christophervasil.com

Artchrispy

Another thing to consider is dark accents. A few dark accents between his arms and breastplate will make his chest protrude. A lot can be accomplished with just a few well place accents.

Christophervasil.com

Artchrispy

Another thing to consider is dark accents. A few dark accents between his arms and breastplate will make his chest protrude. A lot can be accomplished with just a few well place accents.

Christophervasil.com

tmwilliams

Sounds good. Thank you!

Thomas

tmwilliams

Here’s the latest.

I am not sure if I am dark enough on the background.

I like the figure, but agree the background could be darker to make him stand out even more.

Sylvia

tmwilliams

I did darken it a bit more…posted in the gallery.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.