Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Making Liquid white oil paint – Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Jan Stewart

[FONT=&quot]Hello!

I have a problem. I’ve used Bob Ross’ Liquid white paint and now can’t afford to replace it. I’ve been told by an art supplies shop assistant that Winsor and Newton used to have a leaflet advising how to make similar Liquid white yourself, but the shop assistant no longer had the leaflet and had one of the ingredients missing from what she remembered.
        The ingredients were,
        Titanium white paint
        Paint solvent
        and something else?!?

Can anyone help with the last ingredient and the quantities involved?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers[/FONT]

You can see more of my work availible for purchase at www.janstewart.me.uk

samhill

[FONT=&quot]Hello!

I have a problem. I’ve used Bob Ross’ Liquid white paint and now can’t afford to replace it. I’ve been told by an art supplies shop assistant that Winsor and Newton used to have a leaflet advising how to make similar Liquid white yourself, but the shop assistant no longer had the leaflet and had one of the ingredients missing from what she remembered.
            The ingredients were,
            Titanium white paint
            Paint solvent
            and something else?!?

Can anyone help with the last ingredient and the quantities involved?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers[/FONT]

Hi Jan, I just use a mixture of 1/2 titanium white and 1/2 linseed oil. It goes on very smoothly and thinly (is that a word?). I use it for skies in particular and it works great.

#####
            Today's global warming hysteria is the hoax of the 21st century. H.L. Mencken had it right: "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

turlogh

Hi Jan, I just use a mixture of 1/2 titanium white and 1/2 linseed oil. It goes on very smoothly and thinly (is that a word?). I use it for skies in particular and it works great.

With that much linseed oil, I’d be concerned about eventual yellowing.

David Rourke
                rroberts

Hello Jan, and welcome to the Oil Forum.

I tracked down this information on the same question, posted at a Daler-Rowney forum thread

“to make a liquid white just add some stand linseed oil to some white oil paint until you get a mixture about the same as liquid white.I just use stand linseed oil to coat the canvas with instead of liquid clear,just wipe it over with kitch towel first to make sure you havent got too much on there.It works just as well,I use it in my classes with the same effect.”

However, I would be very hesitant about using stand oil at such an early stage in the painting.

Based on the product definition : “LIQUID WHITE is a very slow drying oil paint designed to provide a proper painting surface. LIQUID WHITE is also used to thin other oil colours for application over a thicker paint.”

If you use a solvent to thin Titanium white, it will speed drying time because you have thinned the oil. If you want a slower drying time, don’t use as much, if any, solvent; instead, use regular linseed or walnut oil, but only enough to make your paint ‘buttery’. You will find you actually have plenty of time to paint into it.

Note : I have never used Bob Ross products, and wouldn’t think of painting this way. The canvas already IS a proper painting surface; so maybe others here can better help you out with this.

cheers!

-- Robert
                    samhill

With that much linseed oil, I’d be concerned about eventual yellowing.

Yes, I too have wondered about that. However, it goes on in a very, very thin coat, and then it usually gets mixed in with the overpaint as well. I would think one could knock the linseed down to 25% and still be happy. I’ll try that next time. I just use it for certain types of harmonious skies.

#####
                        Today's global warming hysteria is the hoax of the 21st century. H.L. Mencken had it right: "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

samhill

Hello Jan, and welcome to the Oil Forum.

I tracked down this information on the same question, posted at a [url=http://www.daler-rowney.com/artforum/start.asp?forumid=28&select=1062&]Daler-Rowney forum thread[/url]

[i]“to make a liquid white just add some stand linseed oil to some white oil paint until you get a mixture about the same as liquid white.I just use stand linseed oil to coat the canvas with instead of liquid clear,just wipe it over with kitch towel first to make sure you havent got too much on there.It works just as well,I use it in my classes with the same effect.”[/i]

However, I would be very hesitant about using stand oil at such an early stage in the painting.

Based on the [url=http://www.artistscorner.co.uk/acatalog/Art_Materials_Bob_Ross_Mediums_etc__334.html]product definition[/url] : “LIQUID WHITE is a very slow drying oil paint designed to provide a proper painting surface. LIQUID WHITE is also used to thin other oil colours for application over a thicker paint.”

If you use a solvent to thin Titanium white, it will speed drying time because you have thinned the oil. If you want a slower drying time, don’t use as much, if any, solvent; instead, use regular linseed or walnut oil, but only enough to make your paint ‘buttery’. You will find you actually have plenty of time to paint into it.

Note : I have never used Bob Ross products, and wouldn’t think of painting this way. The canvas already [i]IS[/i] a proper painting surface; so maybe others here can better help you out with this.

cheers!

Thanks for that info, Robert. Say, why would you be hesitant about using stand oil at that early stage? It ends up mixing with the over painting.

#####

rroberts

[COLOR=”RoyalBlue]Thanks for that info, Robert. Say, why would you be hesitant about using stand oil at that early stage? It ends up mixing with the over painting.[/COLOR]

To say “because this is my hunch” can’t be very useful here, and it’s possible I’m wrong (gasp!). I’ve requested help from more knowledgeable sources. Stay tuned.

-- Robert

Hi Jan, to answer the basic question I would suggest you try thinning a normal Titanium White with spirits and a touch of additional oil to make your equivalent.

I’m with Robert on being reticent about using much additional stand oil in ‘underpainting’, particularly if you use much of it. But if you’re completing the painting in a single sitting this shouldn’t be as big an issue as it would be if you intended to build up a number of layers on top of it.

If you are going to paint in layers I would suggest you either not use any or only a couple of drops, literally; but if you’re painting like Bob Ross then you shouldn’t have much to worry about, still, use as little as possible to get the effect you want.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

vlandry

My one and only art class has been a Bob Ross last year where you start by greasing your canvas with Liquid White (or in my class’s case – edible safflower oil with liquin :eek: !!!). Paint took weeks to dry and then you had to add globs of paint with the special painting knife. At home I tried to branch out on my own and had a very difficult time creating anything that wasn’t just a swirling mass of grease.

Fortunately at that time I picked up Weber’s “Essentials of Brushstrokes” and, after digesting as much as I could, things got better. I found WetCanvas and then I saw real progress (IMHO). I’ve never pre-greased my canvases again.

Forget the liquid white.

Cheers,
                                    Vic

I really appreciate all your various talents. It's a pleasure to hang out with you! :wave:

Jack Frost

Why all the furore about Bob Ross quote ” I wouldn’t think of painting this way” and the comment about greasing your canvas what a statement,i don’t think that vlandry could have been to a class held by a recognised Bob Ross instructor as i couldn’t imagine them useing safflower oil and liquin, you might as well use sunflower oil and white gouache, i have used liquid white and can assure you my canvas isn’t greased, take a look at my paintings i am sure you will see the canvas doesn’t look as if it has grease on it and i have found the drying time the same as normal oil paints, if you wish to substitute liquid white with an alternative may i suggest you experiment until you get the desired medium, you will probably find the amount of time, materials and effort you put into finding an alternative it would probably have been cheaper to purchase the liquid white in the first instance, after all would you consider making your own oil paints by grinding down different pigments? i think not, or how about breeding your own pigs to get the hair to make some brushes, it goes on and on, it depends on what you call expensive, i must have got at least 30 20″ x 16″paintings out of a small tin of liquid white, it is meant to be used sparelingly and i personally have never had any probelms with it, thats my two penneth.
                                        jack

Don't you just love snow? :p

Jack Frost (Formerly known as Chicago):wave:

website www.frazer-art.co.uk

turlogh

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with painting into a layer of white. A number of the pre-Raphaelites in the 19th century painted into a wet layer of lead white and copal varnish, producing some really luminous effects.

Used with care (i.e., avoiding too much linseed or stand oil), there is no technical reason to avoid this method, whatever you may specifically think of Mr. Ross.

David Rourke
                                            rroberts

Why all the furore about Bob Ross quote ” I wouldn’t think of painting this way” and the comment about greasing your canvas what a statement

It’s not a furor that I can see. I even took time to track down the most relevant information I could find and post it. That I wouldn’t paint this way is admittedly merely my opinion, and now we have more opinions, including yours, which I also distinctly asked for when suggesting that “maybe others here can better help you out with this”.

-- Robert
                                                Themoman

The original Magic White (Bill Alexander’s) was made from Titanium White, fine quality safflower oil, and a bit of thinner. Sorry I don’t know the amounts. Bob Ross used pretty much the same mix when he left Bill’s company, (Alexander’s Magic Art, now Alexander Art), and lit out on his own. He changed the name to Liquid White. In the late 80’s he thickened it up quite a bit.
                                                    DaVinci Paints made it for awhile under the name White Painting Base. I don’t think it’s available any longer. A Florida artist had it made using the name Basik White. That’s no longer available either.
                                                    I haven’t tried making my own as I have found it easy to come by.

As this method of painting is geared to the “hobby” painter, which I am, I find using the materials made for it work well.
                                                    The simple principals of this method make it easy for the person who doesn’t have an art education, know color theory or even understand composition to have fun painting.
                                                    I know that my students really have a ball with it.

Lily_Katz

[FONT=&quot]Hello!

The ingredients were,
                                                        Titanium white paint
                                                        Paint solvent
                                                        and something else?!?

Cheers[/FONT]

This is a late answer to your question, but you can duplicate Liquid White without even mixing it. Simply coat your canvas with a very thin coat of boiled linseed oil. Then, using a large brush, apply a thin layer of titanium white. For Liquid Clear, just use the boiled linseed oil. By the way, “boiled linseed oil” is not boiled, it is raw linseed oil which has had dryers added to make it dry faster. It should dry in about 24 hours, depending upon the paint you mix into it. You can also use raw linseed oil and wait 3 weeks for it to dry.

meart

well said themoman, i am glad you have the courage to say you are a hobby painter and you are enjoying it well done !!!! and carry on enjoying it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Making Liquid white oil paint – Help!’ is closed to new replies.