WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Richland,Montana

Hails from United States
Passing Storm

This is a painting I started 2 1/2 years ago as a gift for Charlotte - However, during the final 2 years of her life I had more pressing considerations to attend to, and regrettably did not get it completed for her - I wish to finish it now - There are some technical issues, I'm sure, that need to be resolved - I do not feel that I am qualified to identify, nor correct without help -Also, I have some more color work to do with the snow and stream - You can see a blemish in the lower right hand corner where I removed part of the foreground tree limb - That is an situation I need to remedy -Also, I think I got carried away with the limb work on the foreground trees - To much fuss I believe - Again, seeking advice on finishing up this painting ( I hope I am not imposing myself selfishly on this group - If so please let me know ) - Thank you-

17 1/2 x 24 oil on canvas glued to Masonite; Palette: Yellow Cadmium Light, Burnt Sienna, Rose Madder Genuine, Vermilion, French Ultramarine Blue, Cremnitz White -
C & C always welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:21 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland
Re: Passing Storm

Lovely painting I really like the storm in the distance and the crisp looking trees in the foreground. I like the detail within your work and the colour palette. I might like to see more colour or tone variation in the frozen river, even if it means just warming it a bit more in the foreground just to create distance. Well done, glad you get back to finishing the painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Richland,Montana

Hails from United States

Skyenorth - Thank you for your observations and suggestions - I am not happy with the stream, for I felt that something was missing - Your idea of warming up the foreground part will certainly improve its impact and reality - I appreciate your words regarding the detail work; I thought I had gone to far with it -
C & C always welcome
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Pretty scene. Very nice. I wonder if it would add a bit more of a dynamic to it if you added some more mid-tones and...mid/different hues? Just a thought. I'm no professional...so take that thought for what it's worth. Good luck finishing it!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Richland,Montana

Hails from United States

Animale 38 - The painting most definitely needs to be warmed up in the mid range area, even though it is a winter scene - Tad cool - I am not very accomplished yet - Still just an aspiring artist - Thank you for your input - Your insight is always welcome -
C & C always welcome
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Good work. My eyes are drawn to that structure about in the middle of the painting, but I am not sure what it is. A rock formation? It looks interesting but just not sure what I am looking at.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Richland,Montana

Hails from United States

Oldnmartist - Thank you for your comments - Yes , that is a rock structure - The photograph of the painting is not very good ( photographer shortcomings )
in showing some of the detail - I am quite sure that the structure was formed by individuals a very long time ago for creating a pool on the upstream side - For what purposes I do not know, other than a very nice trout fishing hole - Have caught some very nice Rainbows there - My wife and I spent a great deal of time over the years hiking, camping, fishing and snowshoeing in this most pristine area just outside the Yellowstone National Park -
C & C always welcome