WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Hails from England
"Big Wave" - Oil on canvas 7" x 5"

In my desire to learn how to paint the sea, I've started painting on small 7" x 5" canvases.

I'm finding it quite liberating from the point of view that the canvases are small and inexpensive and I don't have to mix much of that "valuable" paint to cover the canvas. As a relative newb to oils I find staring at a large blank canvas a bit intimidating and I have a fear (irrational?) of wasting materials so going small has allowed me to overcome some of that artistic fear.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Re: "Big Wave" - Oil on canvas 7" x 5"

I so know this feeling. I've been going bigger and kinda regret it in a way, but it also is fun to be more loose as well.

I so love how you did the water, it feels real. I struggle with it! Great colors!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 05:16 PM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMArtist7
I so know this feeling. I've been going bigger and kinda regret it in a way, but it also is fun to be more loose as well.

I so love how you did the water, it feels real. I struggle with it! Great colors!

Thanks DMArtist7 - I'm trying to transition to doing original paintings and going small has really simplified it. I find they're quicker to finish too so I get to practice a painting from start to finish more often. Too many of my larger painting turned into multi-month projects
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

[quote=Richard Moore]In my desire to learn how to paint the sea, I've started painting on small 7" x 5" canvases.

I'm finding it quite liberating from the point of view that the canvases are small and inexpensive and I don't have to mix much of that "valuable" paint to cover the canvas. As a relative newb to oils I find staring at a large blank canvas a bit intimidating and I have a fear (irrational?) of wasting materials so going small has allowed me to overcome some of that artistic fear.

Hi Richard, I too can very much relate to wanting to paint the sea and everything else you say here. I usually buy 8x10 or 9x12 canvases but I bought some 5x7 recently to try my hand at. I haven't been painting recently but I hope to get back to it soon.

You are getting somewhere so keep going👍 Even though not all here will get an A for their skill in how to do it I do believe most are sincere in their desire to help us👍😊
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

I like it. I especially like the translucence you got in the water. Keep painting these!

As far as light direction goes, as far as I know refraction plays a role in water, and there is no clear indication about light direction, which seems unnecessary anyway. I'm sure there was no harm meant by sl60, but I feel that negative comments should be sandwiched between positive comments. There are plenty of positives to be expressed by this.

Yeah, it's really nice to do little paintings. I love doing big pieces but those little new can be like little jewels. And e fact that you can get them done quickly is fun. I'm looking forward to more, and to see where you take your work. It's fun watching people progress, and you have skill.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 08:23 PM

Hails from England
Thumbs up Re: "Big Wave" - Oil on canvas 7" x 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
I like it. I especially like the translucence you got in the water. Keep painting these!

As far as light direction goes, as far as I know refraction plays a role in water, and there is no clear indication about light direction, which seems unnecessary anyway. I'm sure there was no harm meant by sl60, but I feel that negative comments should be sandwiched between positive comments. There are plenty of positives to be expressed by this.

Yeah, it's really nice to do little paintings. I love doing big pieces but those little new can be like little jewels. And e fact that you can get them done quickly is fun. I'm looking forward to more, and to see where you take your work. It's fun watching people progress, and you have skill.

Thanks Phranque, the lighting is loosely based on an E.John Robinson painting (Storm Surf) which is left to right lighting and as the great man himself said "The sun is from the left but there can still be a dark cloud in there."...

The clues to the lighting are supposed to be the translucency on the big wave (left of the foam burst) and the white highlights hitting the tops of the waves diagonally from top left to bottom right. Whether it actually achieves that is another thing

I've managed to get some 40cm x 15cm canvases too which will be fun to do as it gets away from the rather square shape of most canvases. Looking forward to thinking of something to go on those.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 12:42 AM

keep paint sea, you have been doing well here.
sea is the most desire subject to paint.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 AM

Hi! I started off some years ago the same way as you.. small works on canvases the size of about 8"x10". They are great for experimenting and people love small paintings as gifts.
Nice work on the waves!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 03:45 PM

It's like there are dark clouds behind the viewer, and the colour on the top of the waves means subsurface scattering is at play so one wonders where is the primary source of light... It seems to me like it is behind the viewer up high. There are dark clouds behind and the sun on top of them.

Then again, does one really want to paint the world exactly as it is? I would definitely NOT call this going nowhere. If you wanted this to look like a photo, well, it does not, but your painting still looks beautiful, I think.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiraFlamand
It's like there are dark clouds behind the viewer, and the colour on the top of the waves means subsurface scattering is at play so one wonders where is the primary source of light... It seems to me like it is behind the viewer up high. There are dark clouds behind and the sun on top of them.

Then again, does one really want to paint the world exactly as it is? I would definitely NOT call this going nowhere. If you wanted this to look like a photo, well, it does not, but your painting still looks beautiful, I think.

Thanks LeiraFlamand

The sky is such an amazingly dynamic and changeable thing, that at times when you look at it in real life it appears to bend the laws of physics. Like those days when you have a beautiful blue sky with huge white cotton wool clouds... And that one small black cloud appears in the middle of it for no apparent reason Only this weekend we had a beautiful sunny sky with a fair bit of cloud, and just to the left of the sun a solitary square patch of rainbow the size of your outstretched thumbnail. Go figure as they say
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

A lovely gem of a painting Richard, well done. It is not easy to paint the sea and especially on such a tiny canvas.