WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

I'm on the bus, and can't type easily, but t1, those are terrific paintings. The last one reminds me of Greg Kreutz: http://www.greggkreutz.com/still-lifes
I think you'll like his work - he does flowers too.

Everyone else, I've been lurking and there's some very nice work which I'll be back to comment in soon...

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-11-2017 at 10:38 PM.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

DMA, that's a really impressive digital painting! I love the way you treated the flame. Utterly convincing. I hope your family is well. Don't lose sleep to do a nocturne--it can wait!

T1, that's another great still life. Your colors are so vibrant, never drab, and you do such a nice job with light/shadow. Also, the title is fitting. And yeah, don't worry about the nocturne. I am a night owl, but even I found it hard to concentrate outdoors at 11:30 pm. It was cold, dark, and I was yawning. ;-)

I spent the afternoon at Carter Barron park in Washington, near 16th street. I did this picture of the 6th Presbyterian Church (left) and Chua Giac Hoang Buddhist Temple (right). I had originally intended to focus on the church, but the temple was easier and more fun to paint, so they both got attention. As the day wore on, people started running around the intervening field; I compromised and indicated just a few of them. "Church and Temple," oil on linen, 8" x 10."

Last edited by Grotius : 09-11-2017 at 10:54 PM.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Very nice Geoff. Very airy look to the building on the viewer's left. I feel like you really captured the atmosphere of the day. Also, your work looks very nice on linen. Very fitting.

Annie, yes I love Greg Kreutz's work. Actually, you are the one who first told me about him in a thread from a while back. I have his new book, its a great read and a lot of great things to learn from it.

Last edited by t1barkode : 09-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

T1, thanks for your comments on my painting. Yep, I should try linen more often.

Today I had my first plein air class with a new teacher. I loved the teacher; I learned a lot from her demo and her comments. Interestingly, she doesn't necessarily advocate working from back to front. Instead she suggested focusing on darks and important areas first. I like this idea in principle, but I find it hard to add sky after trees. She made it look easy, though. She also suggested doing an underpainting with thinned water-mixable oils, in transparent red oxide or burnt sienna. I did so, and I liked how the warms peek through.

Anyway, class ran from 10 to 12:30, but I stayed out there until 6pm, painting away, as the weather was spectacular again. I was very pleased with the outcome, though I'd like to make the rear trees recede a tad more. "Angler's Footbridge," oil on panel, 8" x 10."

#80   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Geoff, glad to hear you like the new teacher and are learning a lot. Superb job done with the plein air and it's wonderful and very awarding to stay after class painting. I've done that too. I like among the others the harmony you have in your latest brigde plein air. Excellent news also that went to try the new light for nocturne. Very well done with the nocturne plein air. They can be challenging. Church subjects are nice to plein air, there's always difficulty to choose what to paint and it's the church that many times attracts to paint a scene.

Annie, you always type in a bus!

DM, very well done with the candle! To answer your question, "if I discovered something new": I think I discovered that when you premix for very dark nocturne plein air, it helps, becasue at the location you don't see much. I did premix some darks. I also learned with this nocturne plein air that I should have some kind of beforehand learnt approach to nocturne plein air so that the result would work out better. I learned I need better light.

t1, I do like a lot your still lifes and thank you for the story with photos from the workshop. Looked like a great experience and lot of learning.

Last edited by moscatel : 09-13-2017 at 07:17 AM.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Excellent paintings DM, T1, and Geoff!
been working on a couple of older paintings and
I just set up a floral still life but then T1 posted that one and I thought, well maybe I should just do a plein air

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 09-13-2017 at 08:52 AM.
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thanks for all the nice comments on my still lifes. Sidbledsoe you should have just went for it! I try not to ever worry about the outcome of a painting and try to treat every single one as a learning experience, because they all are. Robert Johnson says that it is a blessing to be dissatisfied with your own work, because it constantly keeps pushing you to move forward. There is a fine balance one has to maintain between dissatisfaction and being content with your own work, where you continue to push forward, learning new things, but not allowing yourself to beat yourself up too much, because you are always going to fail. I know I do anyways! Geoff, Angler's Footbridge is amazing. One of my favorites of yours, I like how you approached the painting better too, I know a lot of people work back to front, but to me it just feels more logical to do it the way you mentioned you did on this one. And its too bad linen is so expensive or I would paint on it everyday! It is a pleasure to paint on, but my panels are a cheap alternative that works for me. I do have a couple Raymar linen panels stashed away, waiting to use them for something "serious", or a commission or something. Who knows, maybe I'll use one today? I have a girl coming over to my studio to model for a portrait. I hope it comes out well
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hey you guys/gals! Ooooo never seem to get in here enough posting-wise, but have read all, and soooo enjoyed all the latest paintings!

Ok, so for today's work, I did my first Abstract, finished the sunflower painting, fixed the 2 lilies with the green teacup and white teacloth, and finally tweaked the shadows on the cloth on a painting I posted in other forums.

So, here is my first abstract. 5x7 inches, on my hardboard.

Next the 8x10 Sunflowers in Blue Vase, on hardboard again

I found the loveliest frame yesterday that has raised details on the edge, and is white, so the lilies painting looks so good in it, what with the vase in the painting being raised design and my home is all shabby chic. Just tickled! I did fix the table edge and cut off (well, made it straight) the left side of the cloth where it falls off the table. Strengthened the pour spout of the pitcher/vase.

Loving all the latest, glad I could finally get some to show!
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

"Jen" - 11x14" oil sketch on linen panel - painted from live model
So, the portrait came out...eh...today. They are tough. What can I say. But, its just one more painting closer to my masterpiece

Softroses - your sunflowers are absolutely beautiful, and your painting in the white frame looks great! the frame compliments it very well The abstract has some beautiful paint application, although I'm not a huge fan of abstracts, I do like the beauty of your paint.
Attached Images

#85   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Oh T1!!! You did a portrait, I am so impressed. Just really impressed. I am so intimidated by the thought of doing a portrait. I can't offer any C&C's as I wouldn't have much to offer, just to say, I recently learned that the adult human head is generally 9 inches from top to chin and the eyes are actually half way down the oval. I couldn't quite believe that, but it's true!

Anyway, not much help, but a small tidbit or two.

Thank you for your compliments. I used the leftover paint from Sunflowers in the abstract. It was fun if nothing else!
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I think i used a bit too much white in my portrait today, even too much in the background. I think i gave it a chalky look. Could have use thinner, warmer and more transparent shadows as well. Anyways, i did the best i could, and i am happy to have painted it and will be ready 4 the next one. I would really like to master the human figure at some point, but i keep procrastinating on it. I plan to start drawing figures from life more, maybe learning a bit of the reilly method, and just really focusing on the human form. I have been told if u master the human figure, it will help u in all aspects of painting, weather it be still life, landscape, plein air, etc.
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

SoftRoses, congratulations--that's the first abstract ever to have been posted in the oil-from-life series! (Well, unless you count my nocturne, which wasn't intended to be an abstract, heh.) I would love to see more abstracts-from-life. That's a thing, isn't it?

I also enjoyed your two representational works. Nice use of color. I'm also impressed with all the work you got done. I wasted my day catching up on work for my day job!

T1, I've never had the courage to hire a model. I just draw and paint them on life class, but that means sharing the model and standing 15-20 feet away. It sure would be nice to have a model to myself. My kids move around too much, and self portraits are tough. Does it cost a lot to hire a model for an afternoon?
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Geoff color me embarrassed ........... an abstract in the life thread, oh gosh......I was just excited to share, it was paint leftover on the palette from the other paintings! Sorry....I'll remember that next time! You are very gracious!
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
T1, I've never had the courage to hire a model. I just draw and paint them on life class, but that means sharing the model and standing 15-20 feet away. It sure would be nice to have a model to myself. My kids move around too much, and self portraits are tough. Does it cost a lot to hire a model for an afternoon?

I didn't hire this one, she is just a friend who likes my paintings and was excited to model for me when I asked her to. Win win situation I'm not sure about the prices of models. I think the ones in my paint from life open portrait studio get paid like 15$ an hour or something?
  #90   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

SoftRoses, I think abstracts from life are perfectly possible and most welcome here. I was quite serious when I said I hope you post more. Your abstract has landscape elements to it. I imagine Picasso worked at least partly from life even during his cubism phase.

T1, I wish I had a friend willing to pose for free!