WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

Annie, I thought that looked like Lake Union. I learned to sail on that lake. Well, on Lake Washington, too. I never got stir-crazy in Seattle; I felt like I could go outside almost any day of the year, as a little drizzle doesn't bother me. Summers were spectacular, too. Yes, the Seattle-to-Tacoma commute was a drag, but my job was moving to Seattle the year I left, so that problem would've cured itself. Family considerations were what moved me back east. I'll always wonder if that was the right call. It's possible I'll move back some day. I haven't even been back to visit in years -- sigh. We had a view of the Cascades behind Lake Washington. SIGH!

I did a plein air painting of a city street today. The underpainting looked pretty good, but I was short on time, and I rushed the overpainting (or whatever one calls it!). The result is a bit of a disaster, and I doubt I'll post it.

Also, I think I need to start my cityscape scenes further away from where I'm standing/sitting. I keep starting them 10 feet away from me. In country landscapes I abide by Corot's warning to start the landscape 50 yards away. Why in the city do I feel compelled to include every inch of foreground in front of me?

My LED-hat-clip arrived today, so I'm now nocturne-ready. I went outdoors to scout, and sure enough, there's a nice full moon. I was just too tired tonight to try it. Also, it's surprisingly chilly in the evening now. Maybe tomorrow night.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

Not a nocturne, but I was able to paint this today at teh Farmers Market. Sadly the fountain hasn't had water in a couple of years. 5x7 on canvas panel
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Dave, there must be something in the air, because I too painted a fountain today. I like the way you highlighted the focus by increasing contrast between the fountain and the background. Nice job!

My focus was more the figure than the fountain. It's not a live model! It's a sculpture by J. Seward Johnson, who also made a nearby bronze policeman, not to mention his giant Marilyn Monroe in Florida. It's in Hubert Humphrey park in Friendship Heights, on the D.C./Maryland border. Lots of seniors live here. There's a spotless community center next door, with a library and chess and clean bathrooms. I didn't know about any of this until I spent a day painting here. One of the joys of plein air painting is how much one learns about the area one is painting. "Bronze girl in Hubert Humphrey Park," oil on panel, 8" x 10."

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

It was a glorious day here today, and I spent the afternoon painting the Potomac from a campsite next to Swains Lock on the C&O Canal in Maryland. The Canal and the Potomac are both popular subjects for local plein air painters. I was pretty happy with this one. "The Potomac River, from Swain's Campsite," oil on canvas panel, 8" x 10."

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 02:51 AM
Enthusiast
Europe

Hails from European Union

My Internet line is going slow atm so I only comment the last page of paintings, unfortunately Wetcanvas starts to show "error" message, will come back and comment more later. I hope line allows me to post this and it doesn't disappear to bit heaven.
Grotius, looks lovely. Glad you were enjoying. Love your fountain! It's so true that you learn a lot of the area when painting there on location .. I did learn wonderful things this summer while painting outside. How is your new LED-hat-clip working?
Dave, wonderful job and beautiful result. Nice contrasts.

I went to paint nocturne last night and boy it was dark! I had lantern with me but forgot the oil paints home . I had some colors ready on the palette so I only used what I had there already. Lantern light was not enough to see what I was painting. I set my easel under a street light and that helped a little but .. what a disaster of plein air last night.

Here's a location photo of it: 24x30 cm (9.5x12 "), oil on self prepared cotton canvas (clue & gesso base), little bit of rain last night.

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 03:21 AM
Enthusiast
Europe

Hails from European Union

SoftRoses, what a beautiful still life!! I'm a big fan of still lifes. Lovely selection of colors and they seem to match so well together. You did well with the pattern, I know it's a challenge to paint.
Karen, excellent full moon nocturne plein air! This is my favorite nocturne.
Annie, sorry I didn't comment earlier. Love your color study sky line and interesting light you have on your painting.
t1, beautiful and pure colors on your early morning plein air. Excellent job with your still life that you posted first, you paint so well the brightest areas of each object.
DM, gorgeous pumpkin still life! Love it.

I still might go painting once more but day light plein air this time. Later this month.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 06:34 AM

Hi all! My apologies for being quiet lately. Have had some family issues going on. We thought our grandma (100 years old!!! ) was dying, so you understand, it is kinda shaky over here. Yeah, I am a bit tired, but ok. I get the biggest impact by family's feelings. I consider myself empath (or highly sensitive person if you prefer that term, I don't mind either.. I'm just trying to describe how I experience it). So I have to brace myself there, but I'll be okay. I did a still life painting of a candle, but unfortunately it's digital. I was way too drained to set up my studio with oil just for that. Unless Geoff will make an exception for this, I'll just not post it. Kinda wish I did it with oil, I think it has a lot of potentials and think a lot of people would like it too, but that's just me and my wishful thoughts.

Geoff, lol. It is actually signed, but too subtle I guess. I'll have to re-do it. I used orange for that but it was kinda too transparent at that point so it didn't stand out as much as I hoped. For the traffic/onlookers/etc., I guess you got used to it. For me, it just gets too overwhelming. I'm used to the silent world. Hey, one step at a time I'll get there. If you find anything more interesting from Albala book, please let us know... I'm curious!

SoftRoses, thank you! I'm glad you like the mix!

AnnieA, indeed! Love your smokey (pun intended) painting! It reminds me of a computer game called Fallout (they did series of that). It is about post nuclear war and how people is surviving in the world where governments and laws as we know it have collapsed. Very fun game. It ironically had that green-like atmosphere you just captured here. Yeah I am a casual gamer, it's fun and inspiring in a way for art so I wouldn't mind. Sorry for rambling. I certainly hope the conditions have improved by now.

DaveCrow, looove the contrast you did there! It makes the fountain look magical! Too bad it hadn't water for years now. It would have looked epic! Still, well done!

Geoff, great minds think alike. Awesome fountain! I love how you did the figure. She looks like she's sketching as well? Great colors, it feels like it's in harmony. Nice brushwork too. Also on your 2nd piece, it's lovely! Water looks great too! I can see why it's a popular place for plein air painters. I'd be there if I wasn't so far away.

mostcatel, ahhh that sounded tough, but hey you managed to pull it off. Lol about you forgetting your tubes. It's good though because you're forced to work with what you have. Sometimes this way you discover something new that you wouldn't have known beforehand. So.. did you discover something new? Lovely cat like always! And thank you!

You all have a great day!!! I'll see if I can do some plein air/still life painting soon when I'm not so tired.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

DMA, sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she's going to be okay. Hang in there!

I haven't used my light-cap yet for painting, but I have used it to water my trees at night. It's been chilly, and I haven't yet summoned the courage to try a nocturne. Maybe tonight.

Moscatel, that's a neat nocturne! It has a 19th-century feel to it. You sure picked a wonderful location. I really like it. Also, your cat seems surprisingly content to be out watching you paint at night. :-)
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

DMA, I forgot to add: please feel free to post your digital painting of the candle! I'm really eager to see it.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States

Wow! Lots of great paintings from lots of you guys! I just got home from Virginia Beach today. The workshop was really great. I feel like I really got a lot out of it. Plus I also managed to obtain one of Kelli's original paintings, it is a demo she did at the workshop. Also got to hang out with some old friends in the area, I used to live about 45 mins away from VA Beach.

Photo 1: 9x12" oil on panel - I tried to paint the same setup the first two days, and just could not get anything I was happy with. This was painted on the third day and its the only painting I came out happy with.

Photo 2: This is a 9x12" that Kelli painted as a demo during the workshop. I am pretty stoked to have an original painting of hers!

Photo 3: A photo of me and Kelli at the workshop.

Photo 4: A photo of me painting plein air on the beach around sunrise. I was almost finished, then all of a sudden a rogue wave came rushing in and soaked all my art supplies that were low to the ground. It caused a bit of a ruckus for me and ended up scraping the painting.

Now its time to work on a nocturne! Cheers!

P.S. - I found the maroger to be quite a wonderful medium to work with. It would most definitely be my medium of choice if it wasn't for the price. One tube of it costs over $50.00 from Old Master's Maroger. I go through too much medium to be able to use it all the time. I plan to stick with the alkyd medium I use, it actually has a lot of similarities to the maroger anyways, the maroger just feels a bit more natural and organic, and less "plasticy'.
Attached Images

Last edited by t1barkode : 09-11-2017 at 01:51 AM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Hey T1, welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip! Your still life is beautiful. I like it as much as Kelli's painting! Great light/shadow as usual, and really rich colors.

Yer a handsome devil, too. ;-)

DMA, please do post your digital painting!

I finally tried a nocturne last night, but the moon rose late, and by the time I was outside I was very tired. So I'm afraid I didn't much put time into it. That said, I did learn a lot. First, the moon is warm, not silver-cool. Second, the sky was still blue, just a dark gray-blue. Third, my cap light was pretty good at illuminating my palette and pochade. (For this one I used my Sienna pochade, the same box T1 uses. It's lighter than the Soltek, good for occasions like this.)

Fourth, my cataract made it really hard to see the shape of the moon. I saw the fuzzy halo depicted in the painting. Cataract surgery is in my future, alas. Finally, I need to get out earlier. I was too tired and cold to fix the drawing of the gibbous moon. Still, a great learning experience. Thanks to T1 for suggesting this topic. It opens up a whole other side of painting plein air. "Nocturne," oil on panel, 6" x 6".

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Geoff, thank you! So far all looks good with grandma. I still feel more drained than normal. Stuff happens I guess. Love your nocturne painting. It's really interesting to see through your eyes so to speak and how fuzzy that moon is for you. Hey speaking of cataracts, I've heard that Monet had it and once he got his surgery he could see UV light and as the result, started adding more blue and purple in his art. I'm not sure if it's 100% true, but maybe something to think about? In fact it made me very curious. Either way, I hope it's not blocking your vision too much at the moment. And if and whenever you have that surgery, you have my speedy recovery blessing!

T1, welcome back from the trip! Looooooooove your still life! The highlights you did are so delicious! Yup delicious! Beautiful impasto finish. Congrats on getting Kelly's art too. It's so beautiful too! Wish I know how she got those brushwork in the background. I love how "scratchy" it is. So yummy! And those grapes.. geez so beautiful! Great pictures. The beach one looks like fun, too bad you scrapped it. Would love to see the result. Oh well, stuff happens. I hope your art supplies are okay! And it's good to know about your medium. At least you're getting some experiences with it.

I was hoping to have some energy to do some oil painting today so I could post it here with my digital painting Geoff kindly gave me permission to so I won't "break" any rules and to make it better for people who aren't so into digital, but I still couldn't manage to conjure up some energy for it, nor could I find any inspiration to do it. Oh yeah I was this close from doing nocturne painting 2 nights ago, but my husband insisted that I sleep. It was 11:30pm when moon came up and he was afraid I'd paint until 1 am or so. I was also already drained out to start with. I'm grateful though because he's the one who keeps me sane. LOL Sept 20 or so is next full moon. Hopefully I'll manage to pull something off by then.

Anyways, here's my candle study with digital medium. I painted it exactly as if I was painting with oil with my wacom tablet. So you know. Thanks Geoff for letting me post it! I promise I'll make it up with a oil painting later on!

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States

Your digital painting is very delicious looking DMA! Also, I have noticed that using programs such as photoshop (I use GIMP), can be a very helpful tool for actual oil paintings. I haven't done this yet, but DMA just inspired me to start doing this. I think it could be very useful for me to scribble around on a digital painting just to test out different concepts and compositions very quickly without any mess. I think this might be a great way for me to get more creative with my paintings! Thank you for the inspiration DMA!

Also, I have to say, it is tough for me to get around to a nocturne painting. I am by nature a morning person, and I paint my best I feel in the morning and early afternoon hours. Not to say I can not paint at night, it is just not in my normal routine. I will get around to doing some more though.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:00 PM

Thank you T1, I actually started as a digital artist and worked freelancer for a while, but for some reason I feel like moving on to oil. It gives me way more enjoyment and gives me more challenges to do. I just love it, but yes you're right. It's great for experimenting without worrying about wasting anything. I often do that when I am too tired to do anything. I'm glad I've inspired you!
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States

"Grocery Flowers" - 8x8" oil on panel

Just finished up a painting of these flowers I got from the grocery store this morning. Took me about 4 hours. I love to paint flowers
Attached Images