WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

Hi all! I have some health issues, which took me down during the night and today, so I have not been able to get in here and post. Have read and will catch up in a day or so.

I did do a painting yesterday, plus one fail day before, plus one which I like ok, but won't post because it is a copy of another artist's painting. By copying it, I got the hang of it, so I will next make one enough different that I won't mind posting. I have downloaded GIMP, and am trying to get the hang of it too. I hope I got the size right here.

Now, I have to level the table top in the back, level it on the left hand side, at the table edge, where it drops off, and maybe deepen the shadow side of the pitcher, although it never shows darker in any light oddly! Need to make the cloth fall straight down on the left side too, as it's a bit too curved out for my liking (where it falls off the table).

Had a great time with this one, from life of course. I use silk flowers however, always have but they are still real!

Oil on my own masonite board, 8x10

"Lilies with Green Teacup"

I am working lately on mastering cloth. Have done three cloths now, and am pretty happy with my progress. First time painting lilies! Oh, and first time I can recall painting a raised pattern (on the pitcher).

I look forward to commenting on the recent works, but just don't have the strength.

Last edited by SoftRoses : 09-05-2017 at 07:57 PM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

Splendid, SoftRoses! I'm amazed you got so much detail into an 8" x 10." For example, the designs on the cup, the patterns on the pitcher. Very nice!

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:54 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
I spent two hours driving around looking for a painting spot. Does that happen to you guys?
yes it does, more often than I would like.

the paintings are all very splendid, nice job everyone, I may get one in myself this month.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 PM

Hails from United States

T1 I'm happy you didn't scrape the still life. Love your brushwork
Over the hocking has beautiful varied greens. I can't get a pallete knife to work for me. I can't seem to get the paint off the knife.
geoffwonderful lake scene. What a story, the challenges we face inn plein air. Congrats on your sale of Pennyfield lock. Lovely painting. Bridge over Massachusetts Ave has me wondering what's around the bend. Great bridge.
DMA beautiful still life. It screams Autumn. I love your orange. Did you mix it?
I'm at work so am going to try and catch up little by little when I have down time.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:00 AM

Hails from United States

Softrosesbeautiful still life. I especially love your cup. The silver rim and beautiful green. Looks like fine porcelain.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 AM

Hails from United States

There was A beautiful full moon last night when I got home from work. I ran around and set up in a room that had a door( that goes to a porch roof) so I could see the moon better. I went out, stood on the roof then came in and painted. Then back out again. Neighbors probably thought I was crazy. Anyway here is the result of my first plein air nocturn.
11x14 canvas panel. Full Moon over Carbondale.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:31 AM

T1, I hope your travel is going well and that the workshop was a great experience for you! Please post them as soon as you can, you got us all curious!

AnnieA, thanks! Greenish light sounds magical, yet very unnatural. Sorry to hear that you're having the smoke issue once again. I'm extremely curious of your painting. Weird lighting is what inspire me to paint because it's difficult for camera to capture it. And yeah I certainly hope our summers won't be like that in the future years. Hopefully by then, our technology will be less cruel to use, like compared to 50 years ago, it was far more cruel so who knows.

Geoff, thank you! Yes I agree, it shimmers.. I just don't know how I did it! Yes it's finished, all leaves withered up and I can't really add more details at this size without killing it. I like the impressionism quality to it anyway so I'll let it be. Why did you ask? Yeah, it's kinda overpopulated here in The Netherlands compared to say, USA. Well if I get rich (one can only hope) from art, I'll reconsider getting a license again, but for now I'm good. I always can bug my husband. By the way, I don't know how you could paint next to the busy traffic, it would have gotten me too anxious and distracted. Maybe that's why you edited them out.

DaveCrow, thank you! I too love the warmth and yes, those purple leaves are awesome eh? Too bad I couldn't find a way to get backlight on them, it gives a deep purple/red glow to it, like a red wine. So beautiful! Oh well, can't have all in the setup.

SoftRoses, ah I'm sorry to hear that you're having some health issues, but I hope you're now on good mend. I love your still life, it's very beautiful. The flowers, wow, I really need to find really pretty looking flowers to do a painting from. Haha. Your pitcher is lovely, I love how you added texture to it. Clothes can be hard to capture indeed, but I think you're doing well so far. You'll nail it in no time I'm sure of it!

sidbledsoe, Thank you! Please join us, it's a great and fun exercise to get better!

Karendart84, Thank you so much! Yes, I mixed it with cad red and cad yellow pale. I can't help it, but to wonder if I should get Gamblin orange or cad orange to complete it or if it's not needed because it's still vibrant when mixed. And wow, your nocturne plein air has turned out great! Beautiful view! You're inspiring me! The colors you used is also lovely! Warm, cozy, and yet still can feel the night. It's perfect! Your neighbors might think you're crazy, but at least you're more interesting than they are!

I'm not sure of what I'll do today so I think I'll use the day to catch up on some much needed chores. See ya for now!

Last edited by DMArtist7 : 09-06-2017 at 04:43 AM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Karen, that's a lovely nocturne! I especially like the single light in the house. And the gradations in the sky. And the shadows. Also, congratulations on the first nocturne of the month!

DMA, I have painted right smack in the middle of busy Bethesda, a bustling town, so I'm used to noisy traffic. I've also gotten to the point that I enjoy having onlookers. I still churn out plenty of clunkers, but usually they're good enough that I'm not embarrassed by them, lol.

I asked whether you were going to add anything because I noticed you hadn't signed the painting. But you're probably like me: I'm always reluctant to sign. I'm trying to get over it and sign unless it's really not done. I do sign and date all my drawings, so I should extend that practice to paintings. I've noticed that potential buyers really care about a signature and date. T1 signs everything he does. I need to be more like him!

Annie, I'm enjoying the Albala book a lot. He's said some reassuring things: e.g., he says to expect 50% of plein air paintings to be clunkers, and to learn from your failures. I do lots of learning like that, lol. He also says that composition for a small painting is different than for larger works, since the latter requires the viewer to be further away. I hadn't thought of that. He says to move to larger things only gradually, not to try a huge work without first trying medium ones. I've been trying to paint a larger version of a plein air painting and I see what he means. He also repeats good wisdom from John D Carlson's classic on landscapes; I was glad for the reminders. I'm on the chapter on composition now.

Last edited by Grotius : 09-06-2017 at 12:53 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Oh man.......I had a nice long post and then accidentally somehow lost it.........argg!!!!!

Thank you all for your compliments on my last painting!

I didn't paint today because I went to town for shopping day (we're rural so I only go once per week), but I did pick up some brushes, Gamsol Solvent-Free Gel, small plastic easel and of course a lovely 3-rose spray silk flower.
My craft store was having 40% off fine art supplies so I took advantage!

Then hit the thrift store for a couple 8x10 frames and found a few china pieces for my still lifes.

I just recently tried the Gamsol Solvent-Free Gel and I'm in LOVE people! I have finally found my medium. I love this stuff!

Could have done a nice moon pic as for some reason both me and my DH woke at 3 am (we normally wake at 5) and couldn't go back to sleep. But I was quite tired (just not sleepy) so it was too much to even contemplate trying to paint! It was a lovely moon with some scattered clouds that just lit up!

Karen I really like it! Especially the lit window, that just makes it!

t1barkode, I especially like the trees in yours!

Geoff, you did a great one too!

DMArtist7 what a luscious mix of fall colors and objects - love it!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

SoftRoses, That’s a very nice painting of the lilies. I especially like the teacup. I like the loose handling of the background too. To cast a shadow on the pitcher, you might tone the same white, making it lean toward a color which is the opposite in terms of warmth. In this case, I think you might think of a cool version of the background, a muted blue-violet. I actually grow Casa Blanca lilies, which I think those are, so although they do last a little while, I can understand why you use silk ones! Also, as I understand it, it’s perfectly OK to post a copy, as long as it’s clearly titled as such. Something like, “Soft Roses, after Chardin,” I think will do it. Or, to be absolutely safe, “Soft Roses, Chardin Copy,” might be better. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

Sid, I hope you can join us!

Karen, whew…what a workout you must have gotten to get that full moon painting done! Nice job on the glowing moon and I too like the welcoming lit window.

DMA, yes, the smoke is awful, and although they said it would be better today, it actually seems much worse. Yesterday I had to go out and actually wore my particulate matter mask. I do hope we’ll be smart enough to develop alternative energy that’s kinder to our environment - after all, the earh is our only home.

Geoff, I’m glad you’re enjoying the Albala book. I haven’t had much of a chance to get into it myself, as I have a couple of others that are before it in line right now.

So here’s the color study mentioned earlier.

The color in this image is a bit off, and there's some glare because it's still wet. It's so small (5x7) that I could do no detail, but it gives the basic idea.
And here’s a photo - a section of the scene I painted - taken this afternoon. The color is a little ruddier, but you can see how much smoke there is.:

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-06-2017 at 10:47 PM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

thanks all, will do, and very good skyline Annie.
Karen, the light on in a window like that is always a charmer.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 09-06-2017 at 11:31 PM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Annie, cool skyline! It feels smoky. I like the touch of yellow. I also like how you used darker values in the foreground to help the background recede. Lots of cool colors in the rear also are helping things recede.

Is it Seattle? I used to live in Seattle and work in Tacoma. I miss the northwest terribly!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 02:43 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Thanks, Sid!

Geoff, many thanks! I'm thinking that I may lighten the sky and maybe glaze over the whole bg with a very dull, pale, greenish yellow. Yes, it's Seattle, looking across Lake Union. I love it here, too, although I often get very stir-crazy by February or so! A Seattle/Tacoma commute must have been grueling. Was that what led you to leave?

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...”
~Romero Britto

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

Wonderful nocturne and other life work done here. I plan to go paint a nocturne and have picked a place for it too, hopefully the weather permits and I get to go but won't be painting on Elephant Dung Paper this time.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

mosc, it's great that you'll be joining!

~Romero Britto