WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

I took my new Soltek easel out for a spin at a nearby lake a couple days ago. The easel was wonderful! Easy to set up and much sturdier than my pochade box-plus-tripod setup. Also, it provides a more secure base for my Bestbrella (my painting umbrella). The only glitch was when the wind yanked my umbrella into the lake, where it started to sail away. I plunged into the lake and rescued it; quite comical. Anyway, here is the easel set up in front of the lake:

I had intended to focus on a fisherman who spent some time casting from the spit of land on the right, but the flies started biting hard, so I omitted him and fled. The resulting study is not bad, but I needed the figure for his scale, and I need to make more clear what's in front of what. Maybe I'll go back, this time with better insect repellent. 'Lake Needwood," oil on canvas panel, 11"x 14." (Yes, i finally tried a canvas panel. I loved it! The texture made things easier somehow.)

Last edited by Grotius : 09-02-2017 at 04:52 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2017: any subject, but think about trying a nocturne!

Grotius what a lovely serene feeling this has. I live in the desert, bodies of water around here consist of a glass of drinking water!

I'm sorry you had to fish out your umbrella but was chuckling too.....
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, SoftRoses! The worst thing about the lake was that after I waded in, I noticed signs warning "avoid contact with water" because of giardia or something. Sigh. So my sneakers are now soaking in a soapy bucket.

Incidentally, you can call me "Geoff."
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Geoff, it has turned out lovely!!! I think a fisher would have helped with scale indeed, but hey sometimes you just gotta bail. I so hate getting bit! I'm curious about one thing, are your painting actually warm as it is in real life or is it camera's fault? Quite comical about your umbrella. Wish we were there to witness it!

SoftRoses, could be. Btw, even when I'm kinda experienced with social media, I still feel like all artists are scattered around there. It's so hard to keep the discussion organized like on the forum. So, yeah, you're not really missing much.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

"avoid contact with water"

Uh oh......I'd be havin' all my parts soaking in soapy water!!!!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

Geoff, thank you for the recognition award. I hesitated to post my little studies among such accomplished painters.

I think this thread will motivate me to paint what will be only my second nocturne. The first was painted from a tavern patio, over drinks with friends. We had only the light from the tavern to paint by, so the results we got were interesting. But it was fun.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

DMArtist: my camera definitely alters the look of my paintings, and not for the better. My skies as photographed never look like the actual painting. Right now I'm just using the iPad camera. I do own a nice Canon EOS Rebel single-lens reflex digital camera, but I have trouble getting good results with it. I really should invest in lights, umbrellas, and a quick-release adapter for my camera. How do you all photograph paintings?

Dave: you've got more experience with nocturnes than I do! I can't wait to try. The moon seems like a good subject. ;-). But maybe a city street scene too? I'd just need to find a light for my easel. Can anyone recommend one?
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Geoff, very nice painting. I couldn't help but to literally lol when I read the part about you jumping into the lake. I would have paid to see this! Omg, what a great story you now have to add to your repertoire of plein air painting tales
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 AM

Dave: don't worry about us. The point of this thread is to have fun and improve since it's the only way to get there! I don't know about others, but I definitely enjoyed seeing yours so please don't feel hesitated to post something!

Geoff: I use android tablet so not sure how ipad works, but I bet when you are taking a picture with it, it has setup or option menu where you can find "white balance" - I think it might be set to auto but when you take a picture of your painting, it's not ideal. I have mine set to daylight temp, it's not perfect, but much better than auto. You also adjust white balance further in snapseed app (I checked, it also exists on ipad) if needed. Maybe something to explore. https://iphonephotographyschool.com/white-balance/ might be a nice place to start. Reject their email prompt and you'll get a nice informative article. Yeah I know it's for iphone, but the concept is same and apps are more or less same. I think it'll help a lot. Sorry if I'm giving out too much tips, just wanted to help.

I'm just taking a break and working on my old plein air piece I did in Belgium that I said I wanted to continue in my studio. Just trying to finish it up, but working from the photo definitely feels different. Kinda wish I could continue it at that spot, but it's not possible for now. Well, I have 3-4 canvases I haven't finished yet because I was too busy plein air-ing. Haha. I'm also waiting for the moon to get stronger.

Oh Geoff, that reminds me, you asked about the lighting, I happen to have "daylight" temp flashlights we got for cave exploring (we're amateurs though), it has adjustable dim light and is very uniform too (kinda pricey but very nice investment), I'm going to hold it in my left hand or something and hope for the best. Not really an ideal setup, but that's the best I could think of for my first try.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I know an artist who wears a light attached to a sort of hat that she wears. So the light always points at whatever she is looking at. I asked her where she got it and what kind it was one day, but she wasn't very helpful in answering that question lol. I would love to have one though for nighttime work. Hers was very cool light too, it must be a "daylight" light like you are talking about DMA.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

I searched on Amazon for portable easel lights but didn't find any. I know Gurney uses one; I'll look thru his blog posts.

DMA, thanks for the photography tips! I downloaded a couple of apps with white balance correction. But I'm having better luck just choosing better light in which to shoot. Too often I just plop it down on the dining room table and shoot. I seem to get better results outdoors on a sunny day -- 5000K or so on the Kelvin scale. I tried that just now:

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 02:59 PM

T1, ah yeah that is handy! My only concern is in this way since the light is facing directly to the canvas, there would be some glare issue. I prefer to put it aside, say 30 degree next to the canvas so it won't be strong. That's just me. And in case it doesn't work, I bet I can be inventive by using some duck tapes.... I think you can guess the rest!

Grotius, anytime! This is much, much better! It's easier for us to see how you mix the colors that way. Beautiful I tell you! Yup, you're right, taking it in right lighting is easier and helps a lot already. Well, at least you know what to do if there isn't any better options out there (rainy day, dark winter days where sun don't want to come out, etc).
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMArtist7
T1, ah yeah that is handy! My only concern is in this way since the light is facing directly to the canvas, there would be some glare issue.

I see what your saying, but the strength of the light is just enough to illuminate the canvas, without causing glare issues. Don't ask me how this works, but it does, because when I see her doing it, it makes her canvas look beautiful, with no glare, just nice soft, cool light.

I got to go to Columbus today with a couple friends and go look at my painting that is hanging in the gallery. It was such an amazing feeling! To see my work hanging in a really nice gallery, downtown Columbus, amongst the work of other great artists. I am happy as I can ever imagine right now, and its only getting better from here on out, as I'm heading to Virginia Beach Tuesday for the Kelli Folsom workshop, and then have plans when I get back to start working on a new portrait/figure painting with a model that wants to work with me. That means I will be getting multiple sessions of a live model all to myself in my studio! Yayyy! This is the happiest time of my life right now and I've never been so excited about the future. And I love you guys!

Last edited by t1barkode : 09-03-2017 at 10:08 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

:sigh: I had written a long reply already, but then *poof* it vanished! So I'm starting over...

t1, The high regard is mutual. I actually often paint from photos, but that's because cityscapes are too complicated for me to paint quickly enough en plein aire - at least at this point. Maybe this thread will offer an impetus to get out there and simplify, although that won't solve the problem of curious bystanders. I feel the same about crits - they're so valuable - and I've never thought you were being offensive with any suggestion. At 33 you have plenty of time! One's twenties are only a warm up for real life, after all.

You're lucky not to react much to solvents. Even turpenoid bothers me, and often, so does Gamsol, the gentlest of the OMS possibilities. I'm OK using Gamsol in a large room, and/or with excellent ventilation, neither of which is possible for me in my "studio" in my living room, at least not in the winter. Hardware store OMS may be MS but it's not O, in my experience! Maybe though, I'll try a small bottle of turpentine, based what you've mentioned about your plein aire experience. I love the smell of turpentine too - it has such pleasant associations. But it's not just scent I have to worry about. My hair is fine and often tickles my face. I'm not usually aware of it, but I brush it back - apparently quite frequently. Sometimes when I go into the bathroom to wash my hands after painting, I find paint smears on my cheeks and forehead! So I know I should try to avoid anything toxic as much as possible.

t1 (still), I'm also glad you didn't wipe the still life down. The lighting and color is very, very nice. The only minor issue I have is the way the cloth under the objects seems a little bunched up under the left side of the apple at the middle. It just looks a little funny. I wouldn't even bother trying to fix any small wonkiness with the shape of the vase - I can see it, but to me, it doesn't seem bothersome. *I hope you and Amy are OK by now.

Geoff, I hope I'll start having more of the "...gotta get outside" motivation too. But for me, it's going to have be in the short space after it's managed to cool off here, but before it starts raining. In the meantime, it will be still life for me! I need to get a few done for an exhibit... Thanks so much for the awards! But you forgot a couple, so let me add them:

Best Rendering of an Unusual Light Effect: Geoff, for his "Westwood Mall, Looking South," painting, which captured the unusual color saturation that happens when the sun is trying to peek through on an overcast day. AND,

Plein Air Most Likely to Charm a Child: Geoff, for "Kid's-eye View of Anglo-Dutch Toy Store," which also pleases me, an adult.

DMA, well, you really do do "dreamy" quite well. Long flat - brilliant! Sometimes a matte finish is a sign of using too much solvent, but I don't know if that's the case with zest-it. I'm not certain that zest-it really is the "better alternative," since I think most here at WC agree that's Gamsol. But I've never tried zest-it... Sorry to hear your plein air trip was cut short. Great idea about checking for the date of the full moon in order to do a nocturn!

Hi Softroses, welcome to the thread! I think the "0 Replies" award is one that just about everyone at WC may have gotten at one time or another! Please do join us!* Yes, I've noticed it's lots slower here. The front page of OIls used to turn completely over in only a day or so. I think what happened to WC was FB and Instagram...* Mmmm...pizza for breakfast!

Geoff, oh, a Soltek...how terrific. I've heard people really love them. Your Geoff-in-the-lake story really was "quite comical!" But I'm glad you were able to retrieve your umbrella and plan to give it another shot. I do hope you didn't contract anything nasty though. I like both versions of "Lake Needlewood," the color corrected one that more accurately reflects the actual painting, but also the first with the slightly violet sky.

DaveCrow, I'll look forward to the second nocturne. I can't even imagine being able to concentrate on painting while having drinks with friends!!

Whew, long post!! I've run out of time so will have to come back later to continue commenting.

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-04-2017 at 12:09 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member

DMArtist, that is so sweet of you to find those extra awards for me! That's the nicest thing anyone has done for me all week. Thank you so much!

T1, I'm so happy for you and your painting at the gallery. Have a great trip! I want to hear all about it.

I sold a painting off the easel today -- for the princely sum of $45, heh. I was painting the Pennyfield lock here in Maryland, and it so happens a nice couple had rented the lock house for the weekend. (The Park Service rents it out, but it has no electricity or running water!) They liked my painting but didn't have much money with them, so I accepted their offer. I've never sold a painting off the easel before. It was a nice surprise to have someone buy one.

Actually, the painting itself wasn't my best, but it has some nice qualities. "Pennyfield Lock," oil on panel, 9" x 12."

Last edited by Grotius : 09-04-2017 at 03:35 AM.