WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:41 AM
A Local Legend

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... September 2017

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Wow, so many nice long posts!

I am like Annie, I was a 'different' person from my classmates, and am a much different person now, I would feel odd at a class reunion. I go back to visit family, and eveyone seems very much the same which makes sense, if they never left. Since my class had a reunion last year, I was friended on fb by a lot of old classmates, so it is nice to see what is happeing in their lives. 2 classmates just got married, they weren't high school sweathearts, in fact, they were quite opposite socially, so maybe things have changed a bit for all of them too.

Nancy, I think it is swell that you keep up with your classmates on a monthly basis, though.

Annie and Becca, I saw pictures of Portland and other areas, and I just can't imagine what it must be like to be in smoke that thick. I also saw an articlle that this last one was stared by kids, and pictures posted by people who had been to that area before the fire started. Such a gorgeous area, so sad to know that it will take a long time for it to come back.

I am glad you are both taking measures to breathe filtered air.

Mosc and Muffin, good luck with your next exhibition!

The art classes and workshops that might be available to me are just a little bit too far away to fit into my schedule right now. I am planning on getting a newer car in a few months, so I might feel more comfortable taking longer trips for classes.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:30 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Little less haze today....maybe less pollution...? still staying tight to interiors...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:28 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca, the limited palette I'm using is just about as close as one can come to the three true primaries in oil color, plus a blue black. I was really surprised myself at how wide the mixing possibilities are with it. It's described as a chromatic version of the Zorn palette.

Becca and mosc, Also, to clarify, I generally do a lot of pre-plannjng myself to work out color and composition, etc. I often do it on the computer as it's easy to re-crop and/or make color adjustments. I'm now trying to work in small preliminary notan studies as a first step, and that may speed things up. All the pre-planning is one of the reasons it takes me so long to produce a painting, and also one of the reasons I sometimes end up abandoning a painting idea. But it's better that than proceeding to the canvas and then deciding it's not right. Screwing up and fixing it is just part of my process! I figure I'm just following in the footsteps of JSS!

mosc, you must not have been paying sufficient attention to HRH Muffin! Princess Pearl does the same sort of thing...* The painting looks terrific, btw!

Marcia I'm glad to find someone who feels the same about reunions! Most who love them seem to think it very strange that everyone else doesn't feel as they do. I have a feeling that my old HS friends are unlikely to go either, so that's another part of it. And what do you say to someone when you both let a close friendship wither decades ago? It would seem awkward! Thanks for your concern about the smoke. Aren't there some fires in SoCal too?

There's a little less haze here too, but the difference is pretty small. I don't want to go out so I'm incurring overdue library fines.

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good for yourself and someone else.”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 03:01 PM
A Local Legend

There are a couple large fires west and northwest of here, but the winds are in my favor out of the southeast, so no smoke.

The guy tiling the house said he should be finished by early next week, so moving day is pushed to the end of the week. Cutting it very close to my housesitting appointment on the 17th. I don't have to be there 24/7 though, so maybe it won't matter too much.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 05:45 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie, interesting you are caught up with the limited palette...have used the Zorn and others and felt ok about them...but like my palette now for myself...and what is interesting is someone was trying to convince me to use a limited for my next painting....but, the colour in the next is what is the important element...so not going that route...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

So I met with my old friend.It was great.Whats really great is we live twenty minutes apart now.We haven't seen or talked to each other for 46 years,and we are still best friends.We were always together,went everywhere together when we were in the Navy.He is a very interesting guy.His father was a soldier of fortune.He was from Germany and was a world traveler.He came from extreme wealth.He was friends with many world leaders including Prince Abdorezza Palavi the Shaw Of Iran.My friend's father discovered a diamond mine in South America.My friend Timmy grew up in a mansion with servants.It was strange to hang out with someone who had absolutely no desire for things.He is still the same way.Hes the nicest most loving person I have ever known.He doesn't drink,smoke or say bad words.He is extremely educated and well spoken.His only fault in my mind is as he puts it he is way,way,left of liberal.He lives in a modest house built in the 40's and spends his time remodeling it all by himself.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Michael...glad you had such a good time with your friend...sounds like all went very well.

Actually went out for a few short walks today without loosing my breath..what a relief...hope it stays this way now.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:45 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Michael, I'm glad your "reunion" was so nice! (I have some far-left friends,too, but I try to not let it bother me.)I feel the same way toward my classmates. Many of them served in Vietnam. We had a pre-union meeting today to make this last reunion the very best. The reason it's the last is because we've finally run through the funding we hoarded all these years - and a lot of us have died. It is funny that we all seem to love each other. I think that when you age, you realize how precious life is. Another thing is that many of us were fairly social people, and enjoyed each others' company in school.

And there's still every second Saturday each month when we meet. I'm going to print up directions for our out-of-state classmates, in case they come through Oklahoma again and want to stop and chat.

Marcia, it wasn't until I moved back to Oklahoma from D.C. that I started being comfortable at reunions. I don't think that will happen for my daughter - Massachusetts is a very good place for medical people to work, and there are all sorts of opportunities for her there.

Becca and Annie, the person who's re-tiling our bathroom is allergic to cats and wears one of those masks in here while working. I'm glad it finally seems like it's retreating! I think I'll go over to the pool at Rose State tomorrow for the free swim session - that way I can take a shower and wash my hair!

Mosc, I sure would love to see all of that painting you shared with Mitten. It looks gorgeous!

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, good idea with the pool and shower...just recently I'v been trying to work swimming into my schedule as well...easy when it was hot, but now the seasons are turning I'm trying to figure out how to make it work for me before i commit to membership...the pool i went to when I first came here has been closed over a year now...only close option is a small lap pool at a nearby gym...

and as for the smoke, until the fires are out, it can come back, just depends on the atmosphere....today luckily was favourable...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 03:21 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Michael, how great that your friend turns out to live close to you! He sounds like a fantastic person; lucky you to have found him!

Becca, I wish I could say that the air was better here, but if anything, it seems worse. I was a bit out of breath this afternoon just from taking one level of stairs fairly quickly. And when I took Pearl out into the breezeway this evening (she loves the chance to slink around and stalk bugs), my eyes quickly started stinging, so I just turned around and brought Pearl back in. Hope you find a nearby pool.

There was an 8.4 earthquake in Chiapas, Mexico today. Whew - that's a big one!

Nancy, even thoufh I haven't attenddd any myself, it's nice that you're able to enjoy your reunions, and it sounds like you'll continue to have reunions anyway, just not formal ones. Good luck with the tile getting finished quickly so your life can get back to normal.

mosc, I'd love to see the rest of the painting also!

I just looked out and there something that lòoks like a cloudbank over the hills. I just hope it's not a smokebank.

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good for yourself and someone else.”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-08-2017 at 03:32 AM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 03:53 AM
A Local Legend

Michael, I hope you can resume your friendship, it is nice to have an old friend in a new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
There was an 8.4 earthquake in Chiapas, Mexico today. Whew - that's a big one!
Yikes! I was in a 7.5, and 8.4 is nearly 10 times as strong!

I hope the cloud bank brings rain which might clear the air, and is not smoke.

I worked on some computer graphics tonight, hoping to make a 15% off sale deadline, but didn't make it. I had the images ready, but the company has new software and it wouldn't accept my new images. A previous image that I had submitted with the old software was fine, so I don't know why the new software won't accept the new images. Anyhow, now I can't sleep.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 04:10 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, sorry for the computer glitch...is annoying as hell when that sort of thing happens...

Annie...could be clouds...was a bit of rain in parts of OR this evening...not for long and mostly the coast I think...

think there were a few mild shocks in the centre of the country too ... maybe from the same quake...

Oh...and there is a pool nearby just a very small pool...it is long enough but only capacitates 2 swimmers at a time...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

I hope you all have a splendid day!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 02:05 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Doesn't really seem like a Friday or mid September either...but, can sense the change of season here now...kind of sad to see summer go already...it's like I was just getting into it...still wishing however for lots of rain for those fires...that said, visibly is still better today.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

This photo was forwarded to me from the other night .. taken on Burnside in downtown Portland looking east...

Name:  21317888_10155794069579430_768812resuze5679770947513_n.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  155.8 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog