WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... September 2017

and thanks Annie...called, "wishing"...this one has taken months to come out of me...actual painting time is irrelevant...

I absolutely agree.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

My best friend when I was in Vietnam was from Kansas City.I had an old address so I went there and knocked on the door hoping he would answer.Nope they never heard of him.I thought I was never going to find him.We have not seen each other since 1971 when he was discharged.I found him today.We are going to meet tomorrow morning at a coffeehouse.How exciting is that?
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:30 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelshane
and thanks Annie...called, "wishing"...this one has taken months to come out of me...actual painting time is irrelevant...

I absolutely agree.
thanks...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:30 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:

I absolutely agree.
thanks...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:31 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:

I absolutely agree.
thanks!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

LOL....was having issues with WC before...lol..as you can see...

Michael that is great news about meeting up with your friend too...have a great time...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 AM
Enthusiast
Europe

Hails from European Union

Michael, that is awesome to meet a friend after 1971.

Annie, you are excellent naming your paintings! Wish I could find names like you do ... I was laughing loud to your cat joke.

Becca & Annie, I feel bad about the smoke you both are having, I couldn't breath at all in smokey air.
Marcia, your move sounds exciting but LOTS of work. I've moved many times in the past.
DM & Nancy, Hi!
There is going to start once-a-week classes here in the city next week from the original Repin school, the methods are same as they use to teach in Repin and the teacher is a Repin school student and has also studied at the Juliette Aristides Atelier in the US. I'm waiting for their answer who they select to these once a week running classes in this fall. Would be nice add to the exhibit full fall calendar.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Mosc...it is hard to breath...and what is most dangerous are the very fine particles you can't even see, they get into your airways and from there can actually get into the blood, and cause many potential problems... not really good at all..

good luck with the classes..
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Michael, how great to meet up with someone after such a long time! I hope your get together was memorable and you have a 'new' old friend.

Becca, that soot looks awful! Seems like you and Annie have been breathing smoke for far too long.

Moscatel, sounds like your autumn is packed with some really interesting things. I am always jealous of people who get to study painting in an academic setting like that.

I decided to go out with my hiking group today. The hike is close to town, so we should be done before it gets really hot.

This is what I saw when I tried to visit WC yesterday:

I was hoping they were fixing the redirect issue, but this morning Chaturbate still wanted to be my friend.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:59 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday. On Seamonkey. Funny that our 'puters both went down at the same time!

Michael, I'm thrilled that you found your old friend! There's nothing that sharing past experiences with an old friend, and catching up on all the new things - congrats on finding him !!!

Our high school class is having our last reunion soon, and we have people coming in from all parts of the country. I sorta wish we hadn't made it the last, but we do have a meeting every month at a good restaurant, and share our latest news. It really feels good to have not only old friends, but all the new friends we adopt in their children and grandchildren!

We're meeting at the library tomorrow to make sure all our Ts are crossed for the influx of our friends!

Becca, you need to get out of town while that stuff is there - that could cause bad lung problems!

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca, I asked about how much time "Wishing" took not because it has any relevance to the paintting itself, but b/c I'm such a slow painter and I tend to paint fairly small as a result, but would like to try something larger at some point. I just want to get a feel...

Michael, so cool about meeting your friend! How exciting is that? Extremely! Best wishes for a terrific reunion!

Becca, you must have been feeling pretty thankful!

mosc, thanks about the name. But sometimes my names aren't very exciting... Glad you liked my cat joke! Those classes sound really good! Keep us posted on developments...

Becca, you're so right about the dangers of the smoke. Yesterday I had to go out, so I used a particulate matter mask that I had from when I was doing soft pastels. Unfortunately, the nose piece broke off, so I had to take it off. Not surprising that it broke, since it had been sitting in a drawer for over a decade! Here's a photo of what it looked like around 5PM today:

Marcia, I hope the hike was fun!

Nancy, why was it made the last reunion? I've never gone to a single one. I''m such a different person than I was in HS that I think I'd feel strange...

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good for yourself and someone else.”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-07-2017 at 02:10 AM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 02:29 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy...I'd love to go away....but where? and it would cost $$$,,,,staying inside as much as I can...that is better..

and Annie...first... I paint very quickly...and I'll say I spend time in advance thinking out a painting when I'm drawing it....when I started painting large it was about a 6 hour/painting process to lay down the paint, this one took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. But I am very quick with the brush and do prefer to do my mixing on my brush..a knife painting usually goes faster...

At one exhibit someone had asked the same question and I responded truthfully and felt it was a huge mistake...but now you know..

And, btw...the particle masks won't help with the damaging small particulate...so we are just trapped..

I'm going to start going back to the gym to swim...will have to walk outside to get there, but the gym itself has air filtration so at least the major part of my workout will be safe...

we all have to be thankful for something...lolol...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 03:46 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Nancy...I'd love to go away....but where? and it would cost $$$,,,,staying inside as much as I can...that is better..

and Annie...first... I paint very quickly...and I'll say I spend time in advance thinking out a painting when I'm drawing it....when I started painting large it was about a 6 hour/painting process to lay down the paint, this one took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. But I am very quick with the brush and do prefer to do my mixing on my brush..a knife painting usually goes faster...

At one exhibit someone had asked the same question and I responded truthfully and felt it was a huge mistake...but now you know..

And, btw...the particle masks won't help with the damaging small particulate...so we are just trapped..

I'm going to start going back to the gym to swim...will have to walk outside to get there, but the gym itself has air filtration so at least the major part of my workout will be safe...

we all have to be thankful for something...lolol...
Thanks for the painting time info - I envy you for being fast, but also understand all the pre-planning time can speed things up when you get to the easel. At least in theory, that is - in my case it doesn't always make a big difference. :sigh: I'm now transitioning to a limited palette, though, and that does seem to be helping somewhat.

I'm running my AC, and noticed during the B.C. smoke that it drew some irritating air inside. I don't know if it helps or not, but I've set up my air cleaner (w/ HEPA Filter) in front of it, and it seems to pull at least some of the AC air through it. Darn about the particulate masks not handling small particles. I hope the air filter can make a difference...but don't tell me! I'd rather have the illusion that it's helping, even if not. There's nothing I can do if it isn't helping anyway.

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good for yourself and someone else.”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-07-2017 at 03:49 AM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 04:07 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

I'v found if it takes longer, I'v screwed up and am trying to fix it...lol....limited palettes can be fun...I have found I like at least a warm and cool of each of the primaries though...just paint...you will find your own method and style..
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast
Europe

Hails from European Union

Marcia, aren't there any such classes (academic studios) nearby where you live?
Annie, I'm very slow painter as well. Good planing, like Becca does, might help. Limited palette is interesting thought for helping the painting process.
Becca, I also noticed it's is pointless to say anything about the painting time for the buyers/audience.

We are finishing together with Muffin paintings for the next exhibition, or at least that's what she understands with "finishing".