WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... September 2017

Jeremy Mann
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 06:39 PM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMark
This is a pretty cool studio space for sure

Oh yeah!!!

Beautiful figure painting, Michael. I really like his work. Some Paintings are very tight, some very loose.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 11:51 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I like it when you can get both tight and loose in the same painting -- I think it shows that you are just as aware of the composition as you are of it's contents. That Jeremy Mann painting is terrific!

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 02:49 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

The painting is great....the contrast is dramatic...

the studio looks amazing but sometimes there is a thing of too much light...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 AM

Thanks mtpalms, This trip was more for my husband and me to hike in the nature, but since I somehow got MCL inflammation in my left knee this spring, it is taking ages to heal and only can do so much (doc warned that it'll take ages to heal since it's a ligament that got affected) I was forced to find new hobbies like biking and plein air to make up for it. It's a good thing in a way because I found my 2 new hobbies I absolutely love! Also love this studio art you shared (the first one). I wish you a lot of good luck with your future studio and that you'll get the space you need to work with your art! Take it easy in the meantime.

Indeed AnnieA. We'll be back there every year anyway, so no rush. This painting you shared is beautiful! Sooo love it!

MarkMark, very roomy studio! Love it!

Michaelshane, love this tight and loose painting. So beautiful! The contrast is breathtaking.

I don't really have an official studio here. I'm just making this little corner my space. :/ Let's hope I'll get rich and can afford a bigger house with a studio integrated or nearby!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 10:00 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

AWesome Michael yep I love his work too

that studio space belongs to the Artist Eric Fischl
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 01:05 PM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMArtist7
...Also love this studio art you shared (the first one).
That is a John Singer Sargent piece, here is a write up I copy/pasta'd:
"his picture represents the Italian painter Ambrogio Raffele, with whom Sargent vacationed in the Italian Alps. Raffele is using his tiny hotel room as a studio; he and his landscape painting are shifted to the left corner, and much of this composition is given over to laundry and rumpled bed linens. The London Times wrote admiringly, "Surely, never were tumbled white sheets so painted before." The pictorial challenge of painting white on white is one Sargent particularly enjoyed; he handled it with extraordinary bravura here. Purchased by the MFA the year after it was completed, An Artist in His Studio was the first painting by Sargent to be acquired by an American museum."

I don't remember seeing it when I was in Boston last month, either it was out on loan, or I was just suffering from sensory overload from seeing so many Sargents in one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMArtist7
Indeed AnnieA. We'll be back there every year anyway, so no rush.
Good for you!

An annual trip to France instead of a roomy studio is a fair enough trade off, but I do hope we can all have both some day!

Sorry about the ligament thing, but I guess the plus side is finding new hobbies you really enjoy. I am looking forward to biking again when I move. I was up to 10 miles a day a few years ago but had to stop because it was just getting too dangerous because of increased traffic. The only paved road through my neighborhood is 55 mph, 2 lane, and the shoulders are soft sand. When I move, I will still be on a mile of bad road (some dirt, some very potholed pavement, all un-maintained), but once in town, the county just repaved most of the streets, and I will be 10 miles from Joshua Tree National Park. I have a Wednesday hiking group that meets in town too.

So I am trading off some space, but gaining easier access to so many things. It is going to be a real trial for my inner hermit!

Mark, thank you for mentioning the artist whose studio that is. I just spent and hour reading about him and looking at his work.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 04:03 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, you'll probably find beading issue threads in the Technical subforum of the main Oils forum. It's in the pinned items at the top, along w/ Painting from the Masters, etc. (Forgive if you already know that.) I've been thinking of asking the mods to pin particularly useful threads from the Technical forum at the too there too. Might be a lot of work, though. I would love to have any of those studios, although I'm not so certain about painting on top of a bed! (And I presume it was somebody else's bed! ) Whose studio was the last one? Again I'm going to suggest your refurbished trailer for the studio space issue. Would it work for the candle maker to use?

Mark, glad you liked the Dyer painting. She's a favorite of mine. She sure can handle a brush! About the Fischl photo: forget about studio space - I want to live there! So much light!

Michael, the Jeremy Mann is fabulous - he says so much with just a little.

DMA, glad you are in the mend and that you were able to make lemonade when life handed you a lemon. It's funny how sometimes the worst thing can turn into something very good. Glad you liked the Dyer!

Marcia, it sounds like there are many plusses to the move! I hope you can silence your inner hermit. I came close to spending an hour reading about Fischel myself, but since I've melted in the heat over the last couple of days, not accomplishing much of anything - I have way too much to do today. ...and it's going to be a scorcher again. If only humidity didn't come with the heat!

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-03-2017 at 04:12 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 04:18 PM
A Local Legend

Thanks for the info about where to find beading issue threads, I haven't had a chance to look yet myself.

The trailer isn't anywhere close to even being mobile yet, but I have been considering it for storage when it is! When I get moved, I will post pics of my new studio, and you will see why it isn't practical for candle work. Thanks for the suggestions though, I am always open to new ideas.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 04:22 PM
A Local Legend

The last studio belonged to William Merritt Chase: http://artcontrarian.blogspot.com/20...io-scenes.html

I think he may have just been a bit of a hoarder?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 04:36 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Annie I think he lives in Maine but I could be wrong.

MT Eric Fischl is a long term fave of mine ever since I saw his painting 'Bad Boy'
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 12:02 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

A painting has been trying to come out of me for awhile..did this one this evening... 40x30 inches...

Name:  IMG_8913resize.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  212.5 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 12:51 AM
A Local Legend

Wow!!!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 01:00 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Very nice art, Becca! I'm gonna try to get back to painting this week, somehow...we have been overcome by an urge to fix up the house. You've seen it and you know how cluttered it is, but it's still an uphill battle. Himself keeps dragging out more and more stuff that he or I can't manage to get rid of.

I really need to lose myself in a painting again, soon. One has been sitting in my mind for a month, and I will have to let loose and do it.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 01:03 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia and Nancy...has been a very long time for me...there is another I had really wanted to do but had to order the paint colours I want and they are on b/o until Oct 1...so need to fill in...

I'v been uncluttering too...big job...

but you need to paint too Nancy..let it pop out.
Becca's Fine Art my blog