WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter As the Oily Rag Burns.... September 2017

Spontaneous combustion in this thread!!! Post your non-oil works...photos..or just come and chat...Everyone is welcome...!!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 11:50 AM
A Local Legend

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... September 2017

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

And Good-bye PRT!!!

New Simon's cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-UQfw8Qeg
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 02:58 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Oh yes, good riddance to PRT!

I was a half hour late getting there, and so (embarrassingly) missed a couple of people I had invited to the opening, who arrived at the very start. But other than that it was very nice. Some others I invited were there for moral support, and I was happy with how my painting was hung. It wasn't a huge crowd last night, but then, the actual festival doesn't start until today. It was interesting, b/c the prices for the other art seemed to be all over the place, and there was a wide variety styles and subject matter.

The piece(s) that I would have given "Best in Show" were two smallish (11x14?) abstract colored ink drawings that were composed of very intricate tiny repetitive dots - think of of a nano-scale Yayoi Kusama. The artist was there with a magnifying glass to help viewers see the detail! Everyone seemed fascinated, and I could see why. And people seemed to respond positively to my own painting, which was encouraging.

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-01-2017 at 03:04 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 03:26 PM
A Local Legend

Congratulations on a successful opening, and good luck with better weekend attendence!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 07:10 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie, sounds like things went pretty well...except the fashionably late appearance you made...lol...sure that was not a problem...good luck!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Annie, I remember when I first joined my gallery, a newspaper picked up a copy of one of my paintings, printed it, and wrote an article about me. The show wasn't supposed to start until 6 pm, so a lady came in at 5:30 and bought the painting. It was an odd feeling...at the same time that I was glad of the sale, I was disappointed that I didn't ask her to leave it in place with her sold sticker for later, and hope for more possible clients.

Yep, I might have been a bit greedy, but that was when I was first starting out. I'm a bit (not much, of course) less greedy than I was then.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Thanks, Marcia, Becca and Nancy! Yes, it went fine last night, but I had been so keyed up that I found myself unable to accomplish anything today!

Nancy, I thought paintings always stay up for the duration of an exhibit. But nevertheless, a sale the first time out was a terrific achievement!

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 AM

AnnieA, that sounds like it went great for you. It cannot be perfect I guess, I think I'd be the one to be late as well. Haha. Not on purpose of course!

Me, well I just got home from vacation, it got cut short due to 3 days of nonstop raining. It was coming to its end anyways so off we went. Kinda missing France already for its nature. It was perfect for plein air. It's good to be home though.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

What is it September.. I am sure this must be a glich in the space time continuum, it was February only last week wasnt it?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 12:33 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

OK OK Well as it is the Awesome Art weekend time again here goes, and don't forget to find and post something arty you think is awesome too. Happy weekend my lovely friends

This weeks very lovely flower arrangement comes from Stanley Bielen

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 12:54 PM
A Local Legend

Happy Caturday Everybodee!!!

Welcome back from France, DMArtist7. Sorry for the rain though, especially if it was a plein air trip.

Yes Mark, it is September all month!
What a beautiful still life!

All I have to post are cats at the moment:

I oiled out a few paintings a while back, and on 2 of them, the oil just beaded up on the surface, so today I am going to try getting it off with some OMS. I have never had that happen before. It is also as close to painting as I have come in nearly 2 months now. I have given up on the idea of having much new for October. I thought I would be moved by now, and just can't seem to paint while I am in this holding pattern.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:49 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

DMA, thanks. Sorry to hear about the rain cutting your trip short, but at least you got some good paintinf sone on the trip.

Mark, oh, you noticed that month-devouring glitch too! And yet when I think of actual events in February, it feels like they happened years ago! It's one of the many paradoxes that make life interesting. I guess. I love the Stanley Bielen still life - to me his work looks a lot like Stuart Shils in its high level of abstraction and thick, juicy paint. Happy weekend to you too.

Here's my entry, a painting by Margaret Dyer:

Marcia, cute kitties - expecially the "wanty" one. I guess we all may be a little like our cats: too much change all at once can throw us off our game a bit. But you'll be settled soon and return to your Wonder Woman ways. And don't forget that according to the glitch in the space-time continuum, October is several light years away still, so you'll be fine. I think I've read that Bill Martin has solution for the kind of beading you describe, so maybe you could ask him what the best approach is.

Aarghhh...today was going to be painting day for me, but already its turned into a running-around-catch-up day, which because of the heat will leave me too tired to paint. Life is not fair.

~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-02-2017 at 01:54 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 03:56 PM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Life is not fair.
Indeed.

I ended up packing up my paints and brushes and things today, out of sight out of mind! Maybe I should do a little research on the beading issue. I seem to remember a thread or two about it.

I am feeling a little apprehensive about sharing my studio space. I am afraid that the candle dresser thinks artist studios are like this:

When the reality (if we are lucky), is more like this:

What I wish my studio looked like:
(I like old dusty stuff)

Unfortunately, things changed mid summer, so she is dressing 3 times more candles than before, so needs that much more space to work in. We are both hoping things settle down again to something more manageable. Even if I wren't sharing that space, there is no room for storage, or tasks like canvas stretching or varnishing. I am glad to still have space here to do those things. Once the dust settles, it will be much easier to figure out the next step.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:34 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Thank Annie for the Margaret Dyer painting, yeah thats Awesome indeed
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden