WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 PM
WC! Guide
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States
'My Own Personal Minions', a new WIP

Hey everybody,
Finally, I've put away my last painting, 'Reflections From the Past' until I have to enter it in the OC far in a few weeks, and got busy on a new painting. I plan on giving as much technical info on the creation of it as I can, as I get many requests from people wanting the inside scoop on how I paint (quick answer: slow and methodical ).

First off, I had to build a lightbox out of foam board, fabric for the background, and then had to buy a bunch of stuff from various locations (Salvation army, Toys R' Us, grocery store, etc.) after I finally got an idea and finalized my composition (the sketch was comical, to say the least).

Then I snapped about, oh, 200 pictures. I'm not a photographer, so I tried many exposure settings, F-stops, etc. and got some good pix, edited them, had them professionally developed in both color (multiple exposures) and sepia-tone for the underpainting. I try to give myself every advantage and tool at my fingertips, so I have no excuses to produce an underwhelming painting.

Now comes the actual support: an 18"x24" Ampersand hardboard, to which I glued a Claessens oil-primed linen swatch. It was a single-primed, all I could buy without breaking the bank for a full, several-hundered-dollar roll (what if I didn't like it?). I do think it to be of very high quality, although I'm not a fan of the dozen or so big bumpy knots in the surface of it in various places. Next time I'll buy a double or triple primed roll, and use it until I die.

I printed out my ref. photo at the right size, cut them up and taped them together (that's 6 pieces of paper to cut perfectly and taped together so that it looks like 1 big poster). Taped Saral transfer paper over the support, then taped my big, Frankenstein-poster-reference photo over that. All the while going for ultimate precision, making sure the horizontal surfaces are truly horizontal, etc. Then took a good 2-3 days of tracing over the photo. Did I mention that the photo had a completely photoshopped element added into it? I saw a big empty spot in the still life set up, and got creative with a fun element of the background. You'll see what I mean, eventually.

So, the support's ready, I mixed up a combo of lead white, titanium white, and a little bit of neutral gray (burnt umber/ultramarine blue) - all Michael Harding, a great paint made by a a good guy who actually answers my emails and sent me paint caps, many, many paint caps - when I needed them. My favorite paint and great service!

I mix that light gray with a medium of Winsor-Newton turp and stand oil at a 5-1 ratio, until the paint is much thinner but not runny like house paint. I applied that with a 2" synthetic brush, all the while making sure it's thick enough and covers evenly but thin enough to see the drawing/tracing underneath. Almost forgot to mention, had to correct the tracing in a few spots because of camera distortion; it's almost a crime to erase a big chunk of tracing to perfect the ellipses and curves of a glass vase and the reflections in and behind it.

So after about a week of drying, I get to the underpainting. What I do with the underpainting is (using the Munsell value scale as a guide) to paint with 1 color, Burnt Umber, in various tones to create the mid-light to dark sections, much as you would paint a monochrome watercolor. Anything too light, I leave alone for the gray underpainting to show, and anything really bright I add in white at the end - not just for the 'white at the end' sections, but for the brightest and lightest sections of the finished painting. For example, there's a lemon in the composition, and much of it is a bright yellow. I paint much of that section white in the underpainting because the yellow at the end will show much brighter and cleaner over white. If you're confused, you'll eventually see what I mean.

So I apply the underpainting in burnt umber only, using a combination of thinning it with my medium (50% oil of spike lavender, 50% linseed oil) and scrubbing it into the canvas thinly. This is kind of a 'feel' thing, you don't want to use too much medium and leave the paint under bound (you can see it if it is, with practice), and you don't want to spread 1 atom worth of paint over a foot of canvas surface. Kinda hard to explain, but I just get the paint thinned, put it over the section of painting I'm working on, and if it's too dark, I spread it around as much as I can, and if it's too thinned, I stop and wipe my brush and put a little more paint on it. It's not as hard as it sounds.

I tend to work back-to-front, although it doesn't really matter in the underpainting stage. So just today I finished the fabric-background area, the farthest 'back' of the painting. Everything in this stage now is just judging darker-lighter, darker-lighter.

My brushes for this stage are the same for all stages, really: 2 synthetic Escoda Prado rounds for application, and WN Eclipse filberts for a 'tapping' form of blending I do….

The tapping blend, as I call it, is after the various tones of brown have been applied. I take the brush and, holding it almost parallel to the canvas, tap the brush tips around the area to soften it, going from light to dark. This gives a somewhat stippled look, evening out the various tonal shifts. After the tapping stage, I just take a fluffy mop brush and lightly brush over the area, evening it out a little more.

Enough of all this talk, here's a pic of the whole thing at the current stage (only the very back of the background finished):

Please forgive the poor quality photo, it's right off the easel. To show the detail of the drawing, here's another photo, a closeup of the crystal dish, some fruit, and a Stormtrooper or two:

You can see the gray paint over the drawing better in this one, So you can see how I can reference the drawing through the first layer of paint.

OH, by the way, the painting is a still life with fruit, crystal dish, vase, flower, a completely made-up background picture, and my own personal 'Minions', a buch of toy Lego Stormtroopers who 'helped' me with my still life setup, and as you'll see some of them got into trouble, here and there.

Stay tuned every month or so for updates, I'll try my best to explain as much as possible instead of just posting photos. As always, any comments or questions are welcome.

Cheers!
=A=
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 11:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: 'My Own Personal Minions', a new WIP

Alan, Let me be the first to say that I will be watching your progress on this one for as long as you continue to work on it. You do fascinating work, my friend!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Cant wait to see it happen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Greece

Hails from Greece

wow Alan! this backround is very very difficult and you did marvelous! that will be another masterpiece
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Gee Alan: sounds like a PLAN, carefully thought out. I do the tapping thing also, but with a fan brush sometimes. I think Schmid does that as well.
I know it is early, but lookin' good buddy. Will keep up with progress.

Derek
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM

Obviously, this is going to be so much fun to watch... I hope it won't be that long before we see updates. It's almost like a TV series!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

Looking forward to see it progress.
Dave
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
WC! Guide
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you Bill, Kathie, Vasilios, Derek, LeiraFlamand, and Sea dangler!

This is obviously at an extremely early stage, but I've gotten many requests from folks asking me questions that I haven't been answering thoroughly in my previous WIP's, so I wanted to start with an in-depth look at how I start things.

Although I don't always start things the same way.

I will be updating about once a month, probably in the first week of every month. There will be a lot more progress in the next post as this is only an underpainting, therefore no color mixing, no matching, and far less cleanup.

Anyway, thanks for your support, as always I answer any questions posted concerning my method (or madness, however you see it).

Cheers,
=A=

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 AM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Watching this one!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM

I can't wait wait to see this one come together. I love the way you paint and it's the way I would like to paint as well so being able to see and read in depth instructions for the method as well as the thought process would be awesome.

I know it's been brought up before and I remember your response, but I think it would be amazing to see your process in a video. Obviously to film the entire process would be impossible, but 30 min here or there where you show how you get started, how you do your first layer and then how you actually mix your colors to be as accurate as possible would be amazing, and for someone like myself who learn from watching more than reading would be such a huge help.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast
Long Beach Ca

Hails from United States

Beautiful detail, Alan.
Your work is an inspiration to view.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Greece

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmelik
I can't wait wait to see this one come together. I love the way you paint and it's the way I would like to paint as well so being able to see and read in depth instructions for the method as well as the thought process would be awesome.

I know it's been brought up before and I remember your response, but I think it would be amazing to see your process in a video. Obviously to film the entire process would be impossible, but 30 min here or there where you show how you get started, how you do your first layer and then how you actually mix your colors to be as accurate as possible would be amazing, and for someone like myself who learn from watching more than reading would be such a huge help.

Scmelik , the work of Alan is superb. And your idea is very good and i hope, someday we can see a video from Big Alan! however for now you can follow this link. This will be very helpfull to you if you have patience.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2017, 04:42 PM
WC! Guide
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for following along folks, here's the first update!

First, the whole painting as it now stands:

As you can see, I have the background picture done, a vase with a rose and a little Stormtrooper caught in it, and started on some of the 2 kinds of grapes.

Let's take a closer look at the background picture:

First, I had to paint the flower borders really dark and carefully as they will be painted over, so I had to have the underpainting dark to show through. When they're done, they will be red flowers and green vines, but for now they're dark.

The Death Star was a toughie, it's not perfect but the shading is accurate enough for the underpainting. I had to get the perspective of all those 'tiles' curving around the sphere pretty accurate.

Of course it will be more detailed when done, but I simplified it for now.

Now the flower:

Nothing special in technique here, although I love underpainting flowers like this, the petals look so good with just 1 color, and I started out painting flowers - real good for beginners to study the shadows in the folds and subtle value changes.

Now here's the vase:

Lot of hard work here, lots of fun reflections and getting the leaves right was difficult but fun.

Here's a little closeup of our friend the Stormtrooper:

Once again, not as detailed as it will be, and had to carefully plan on the detail here, often putting in the darks one day and glazing over it with finer shadows the next.

Last, is the grapes:

The dark ones were tougher, had some more variation than the light ones, and just yesterday had to put in the detail of the stems in that one place. Probably 2 more days of grapes, maybe 3.

Anyway, that's it for this month, as always any comments or questions are welcome

Cheers!

=A=

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2017, 05:33 PM
A Local Legend

It looks great Alan, thanks for the update.

The vase in particular, with it distorting the pattern of the wallpaper behind it looks especially convincing. I expect to see a little distortion of the captive storm trooper as you move forward. One of the reasons I do an underpainting on complex pieces, is that it makes the next steps easier when it comes to putting in the color. However, like you, I have learned not to waste time on perfection, when I know adjustments can be made later.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Both fascinating and impressive.

:::