WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast
north yorkshire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: A Painting a Day Challenge! Plus some changes,,,

Nancy, I will definitely join you. I prefer to do one a day because I feel it gets me going and I learn more. But I know there is one day in February that I will not be able to paint as I have to take my car in for a service. I will manage that by doing a very quick sketch on one of the other days I think. As for anything else that crops up I am sure it can be managed.

Thank you for organising it all

(Probably procrastinating tbh because one a day is quite a commitment. It will be good for me though!)

Last edited by juliet45 : 01-27-2017 at 04:58 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2017, 05:19 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Just to let you all know - February 1 is coming up in only two days, and those who haven't signed up yet are welcome to come aboard!

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2017, 09:06 PM

I would like to join you. That will be a real push to do APAD but I'm going to try. I did 3 in the past 3 days, 2 worked well and one flopped. So I am not a beginner but still able to act like one.

One question, I normally paint in oils but of course there's the drying problem... do any of you paint APAD in oils? How do you have 30 drying at one time? What if you can't finish because the paint needs to set up a little -- would it still count?

Yes I realize that was more than one question.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I'm exhausted midway through the thread. What is going to be the subject matter for the challenge, and what will be the options?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2017, 10:57 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

Nancy, I will be joining but only for one painting a week. I did the one-a-day challenge two years ago and agree that is the best way to learn. BUT, life does impose itself and I will have to be more modest with my commitment this time.

LoganArt: For these challenges, it is best to work Alla Prima (or Direct Method) and not try to paint in layers. I'm going to go for one a week, and plan to try some quick drying mediums to see how they work out, but one a day you should assume the paint will always be wet.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:40 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

George, I'll answer for Nancy since we're getting so close to the start and I've done one of her challenges before. The subject matter is the artist's choice. I'm a slow painter, so I frequently chose simpler subjects - a couple of pears, a pair of earrings - which were more studies than full-fledged paintings, really. Some of my more complex paintings tok me all day and I had to call them finished when they really weren't. But that's just me; I'm really very, very slow.As someone. mentioned previously, the paintings will most all be alla prima, since for the most part there won't be time for layers to dry.* Size, support, etc. are all up to the artist (hint: smaller=faster).

I'm not sure what you mean by "options," but if it's timing you're wondering about, Nancy has made it quite flexible to accomodate some painters' busy schedules. You can choose between one a day, two a week or one a week. She might be open to other possibilities if none of those work for you.

* I guess if you choose one per week, it might be possible to paint in layers.

We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...
~Romero Britto

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:06 AM
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Back when this was announced, I was intending to do one a day, but that's a little impractical at the moment. I have dialysis M/W/F and can sometimes find it a bit draining (pun intended.) It makes it hard to keep commitments sometimes.

So, I'm figuring one painting a week might be the go here. But if I find myself energised it might be more than that, if that's okay.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 03:17 AM
Enthusiast
north yorkshire

I too have decided that one a day will be too much pressure. I will opt for one a week.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I'm going to commit to one a week, but try for as many more as I can manage. Whew...the pressure's off that way and I'll probably accomplish lots more.

We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good...
~Romero Britto

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Englishwoman now living in Canada

I think I might try one a week too.
Patricia
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast
Seminole Country

Hails from United States

I am in. I've been getting organized and getting sketches done, so I am HOPING to do APAD. Thanks again, Nancy for hosting!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2017, 10:22 PM
Rochester, NY

Hails from United States

So I'm pretty much a complete beginner, did a few paintings in acrylics over the holidays before getting annoyed at how quickly they dried and decided to switch to oils, which I started my first one a couple of days ago. Seems like this would be a good way to get a bunch of practice in, so I'm going to try and do the painting a day challenge. Figure I'd have to improve after 28 paintings, right?
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:16 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

A suggestion from Annie, after she read more of your comments.It's too late to change the title of this thread to: "February A-Painting-a-Day (or Week!) Challenge!"

The every three days challenge is still good, though, just in case you start an APAD, and find that you need a bit more time to get it the way you want it. I encourage beginners to start with a painting a day, since there's a lot to be gained in turning out a lot of paintings: 1. You get get in the habit of daily painting, which really helps your growth and knowledge.
2. You'll be able to easily see what subjects are best for your talent, and
3. You will have enough paintings to feed your artistic mind with even more ideas than you ever had!

I haven't painted since my hospitalization on Dec. 9th, and I'm going going for one a week. I just hope I haven't lost my buzz: my fingers are still weak, but I'm exercising them daily!

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2017, 03:48 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, wouldn't be better to start with a new, fresh thread, so people won't need to scroĺl through a couple pages of pre-challenge chatter? I thought this thread was just to announce that the new challenge thread would be posted tomorrow. (8 minutes from now, technically!)

I'm really excited about this! Thanks for hosting, especially with your health issues. Please promise you won't overdo it though!

~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 02-01-2017 at 04:21 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast

I think posting paintings to this thread is fine for me. It's a lot of work to start new threads. I try to join challenge, will see if I find things to paint. Would be good practice.