Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives April Portraiture Challenge: Rembrandt!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    NancyMP

Spring is here, and in the southern hemisphere, Fall had just arrived. So to celebrate the gentler seasons, we thought of the great Rembrandt’s numerous self-portraits, from youth, to middle age, to old age. Also included are some of his best portraits of others! Join us in learning from one of the first innovators and masters in art history!

Rembrandt van Rijn’s use of light and shade (chiaroscuro) to create atmosphere in his works was very new in his day. His exploration of the psychological character of his subject(s) was also new then. His self-portraits are full of emotion and expressive. He was his own best model!

His early works are sharply drawn and painted in a varied palette that was to decrease in range and in his growing interest in chiaroscuro. Between 1640 and 1660, his middle period, he had developed a darker style with color applied in thick blobs, quick lines or dabs, and thinner washes that merge into a harmonious glow, bursting from a dark background to create rich, shimmering, and uneven surface effect. After 1660, his technique became even freer, possessing a jewel-like richness of color, and expressing intense emotion. Rembrandt was a superb draftsman and throughout his life produced drawings and copperplate etchings that are magical in line and feeling.

“Self-portrait with a cap open-mouthed”:

His paintings are characterized by broad thick brush strokes and the use of layers of glazes to provide scenes with depth. Despite the existence of some alla prima sketches on panels, Rembrandt’s preferred painting surface was a gray-toned canvas. The canvas is better suited for paintings carried out over several sittings, and the majority of Rembrandt’s works were executed in this manner. Rembrandt first blocked in the composition in broad brush strokes, then built up paint layers, working from dark to light. The heavy use of impasto (areas of thickly-applied paint) lent him spontaneity and immediacy. In some areas the rough textures look as if they have been applied with a palette knife rather than a brush, while some of the fine lines of the hair have been etched into the paint by the artist’s brush-handle. That “etched” technique is called sgraffito.

“Portrait of the Artist at his Easel”:

Rembrandt’s paintings are characterized by luxuriant brushwork, rich color, and a mastery of chiaroscuro: using strong lights and heavy shadows to create depth in a painting and a center of interest. He used a brown ground so that his paintings would emerge from the dark to light. His use of impasto in the light areas grew heavier and heavier, while his shadows became increasingly transparent. Rembrandt used it to emphasize the faces and hands in his portraits; what his subjects were wearing and their setting are of less importance, melding into a dark background.

The primer for the panels is white, probably glue-chalk gesso, covered with a transparent brown imprimatura of Burnt Umber mixed with varnish, which creates the golden glow characteristic of his work. His canvases are primed with a warm grey made from lootwit (lead white with chalk, ground in linseed oil) and Raw Umber, or sometimes with white lead alone, with a transparent brown imprimatur. His palette consisted of 1) Flake white 2) Yellow ochre 3) Red ochre 4) Charcoal black 5) sienna’s and 6) umbers.

I would recommend, for a modern palette, in order of painting from darks: Burnt Umber as a ground first, then Mars Black (or Ivory if that’s the only black you have) for the deepest values. (If you don’t use black a good substitute can be made with Prussian Blue by mixing it with Transparent Red Oxide and Raw Umber.) The Red Ochre is modern also, but you could use your choice of Flesh Ochre, Burnt Sienna, or Caput Mortuum for the darker flesh tones. Yellow Ochre, Flake White for transparency and Titanium White for opacity. Raw Sienna and Raw umber are also good additions. I know I added stuff, but it’s still a limited palette!

Here are some of his finest works, and let me also direct you to the ARC website: http://www.artrenewal.org/ All you need to do is type in “Rembrandt,” and you can see many more images, and also decide upon another if none of these suit you. When you find one you want, click the image shown and it will show you a larger image you can download to your computer.

First, let’s look at his self-portraits; you’ve already seen two, and here are some more:

“Self-portrait at an Early Age”:

“Self-portrait”:

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

NancyMP

Saskia in a Straw Hat:

Portrait of an Elderly Man:

Self-portrait in a Flat Cap:

Self Portrait:

Saskia in Pompous Dress:

Titus van Rijn in a Monk’s Habit:

Portrait of Maria Trip:

Self Portrait in a Plumed Hat:

Saskia as Flora:

Self Portrait leaning on a Stone:

The artist’s son Titus:

There are many more Rembrandt paintings on the Art Renewal Center site, so don’t feel limited by what I’ve included here. If you’re inclined to study another one, please include the reference along with your study – a side by side reference helps you to get the right values, colors and shapes. Rembrandt used a wide variety of sketching techniques, etchings as well as painting in oil, so

Let’s get started!

All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Nancicat, it is so fitting that you posted on Rembrandt…I am reading a book by Robert Henri, and just today I was reading his thoughts on Rembrandt being a master of creating space and organization in composition with just the bare essentials…especially in his drawings. :heart:

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

lovin art

Lovely Nance:heart: :D great your hosting to chica … will love seeing what develops from here:thumbsup:

Turpintine45

I’ll have to watch for a while. I’m not sure I would know how to begin. It’s going to be an interesting month.

Jen

C & c's always welcome

tomasis

great challenge.. unfortunately im busy under april.. i might chime in something digital quickie if it is ok ;)

i remember i have an old digital study of his sp. may i post? :D

NancyMP

Yes, please do post your study here! I would love to see it!

bettythecat

Good choice Nancy , looking forwad to the posts here

Sizun

Nancy, thank you for starting this thread and for the interesting article on Rembrandt and how he painted.
                                    This week I started a personnal challenge of sketching a ballpoint pen head everyday for 30 days, so you provided me with the perfect reference for today’s sketch. :)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Critics and comments ALWAYS WELCOME
                                    My blog

NancyMP

Ghislaine, you’re really capturing that expression – Lovely work!

tomasis

posting very old piece .. it is done when i was noobie 10 years ago lol :) might work on this under the month with little spare of time

digital, done with painter, i believe

lots to work with subtle values :D I think I need better photo than this below. anybody can scan one similar one from book?

NancyMP

Tomas, I went looking on the Google Art Project. You could try there. The only one I found at Rijks Museum that has an image I’ve put on the thread should be useful to those who want to do “Self-Portrait at an Early Age,” which is a little too dark in the ARC reference. Here it is.

If you know which museum the one you worked on lives, just go to http://www.googleartproject.com and select the museum. It should give you a better copy.

Sizun

Thank you for posting, Tomasis. You did a good job on it. I have a book on Rembrandt but I didn’t find this self portrait in it. Sorry I can’t help.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Critics and comments ALWAYS WELCOME
                                                    My blog

Tomasis, this one is at the Met. The image is a little clearer.

His work is mind-blowing in person. It is so subtle, then you step back a little and the whole thing just pops right out of the canvas.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

ElaineV

I was thinking of working on “The Girl in the Window” but after studying it — aren’t the colors off?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.