Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives Portrait Challenge — August 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    kevinwueste

I thought we might try something a bit different ( wait I did do the clowns so OK fine) and put some classic cast/sculpture heads up for the August Challenge. Much of the Classical Atelier learning process begins with very careful charcoal, graphite and painted studies of such casts, so – how about us ?

I believe there is so much we can learn from working on these shapes! In fact, if you get the chance to work from one in life, so much the better but this can be a good introduction. Most of these are from the Metropolitan Museum in NYC, USA or the Grand Central Academy in Midtown Manhattan where I recently attended a workshop. All of their students study from casts for the first year of school. It’s very intense but the work is amazing.

Good luck, I hope you will have fun!

Below – a Rodin of course, my idol..

the Sculpture below was in the American Wing but I apologize for not getting artists’ names for so many of these. Stunning nonetheless!

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
        "kevinwueste" on instagram

roy-p

Delicious! Screengrabbed the bunch

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

llawrence

Very nice lighting on some of these, they’ll be perfect for studies. Going for the charcoal…

Skappy

I ll be there with watercolors
                    Robert

jennf

Lovely! And much more fun than clowns, IMHO. ;)

Looking forward to these. Thanks for organizing this, Kevin.

Jennifer

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Run mad as often as you chuse, but do not faint. ~ Jane Austen

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Check out my website at: http://www.jenniferfoster.ca

trevors

Thanks Kevin here is my first effort 22 x 30 inch watercolour paper ( thought it was rives) :rolleyes:

Charcoal.

Everyone

Delicious! Screengrabbed the bunch

DITTO! :thumbsup:

This is a great idea, Kevin! :clap:
                                Looking forward to trying a few of these. Good late-summer practice between bouts of eating fresh corn on the cob. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Lauren
                                https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
                                Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

kevinwueste

Trevor that is cool! I am working on two of them over the next day or 4.. kw

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                                    Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                                    http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                                    "kevinwueste" on instagram

Everyone

Trevor — wonderful (pastel?) of the lady to start us off this month! :clap:

Cheers, Lauren
                                        https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
                                        Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

trevors

Thanks Mr K maybe I will try another?
                                            Thanks Laren its supposed to be charcoal and some of it is vine and the lighter tones are labelled compressed charcoal grey selection but its not the same texture as pastel or charcoal!

roy-p

Trevor… wow! This is impressive :clap: :clap:

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

MSegev

Kevin, your references are invaluable for skill enhancement of any aspiring artist – many thanks for sharing! Hey, you’re already a great asset for the WC community and soon will be a fantastic educator.
                                                    My favorite is n.3 but really wish I could give them all a try. Can’t tell when unfortunately, since I have some annoying work to finish first.

pintor

Here are my drawings done on a 8 1/2 x 11 in. toned paper using a mechanical pencil, a #2 pencil, and a white colored pencil.

Here are two handsome guys:

And one very beautiful lady :thumbsup: !!!

Marianne S

Hi Kevin,
                                                            Your work is truly amazing, spent most of Sunday at your blog site. Fantastic figures, if only I could be that good!! Here is my humble effort of the first image, done by bad light last night, charcoal pencil on cartridge paper. Marianne

Marianne S

posted twice in error

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.