Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Favorite WC Paint Brand for Vibrancy and Transparency?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    KiwiKate

When I finally decided to make the big switch from student to artist grade paints, I did my research and bought some M. Graham and Daniel Smith in a few of my favorite transparent colors. So far, I have no particular problem with either of these brands, but quite honestly, they don’t “wow” me. I have a limited range of student grade Shinhan and Van Gogh paints in my sketching kit that I much prefer in that they handle well and are beautifully vibrant and transparent.

I really want to add more colors to my collection for my home “studio”and am now wondering if I should just go ahead and spring for the artist grade Shinhan (SWC Premium) or Van Gogh (Rembrandt) or if there are other similarly vibrant and transparent artist grade paints that I should be trying. By the way, I don’t like any of opaques I’ve tried. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Kate
        Henderson, Nevada
        C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

janinep7

Sennelier!!! Holbein. I got a few tubes of Sennelier the last time I ran out of some of my colors and I think it’s the nicest paint I’ve ever used. I bought it b/c they were less expensive in the 10ml tubes and I didn’t want to spend a ton before I knew if I liked them. I like them!! And they come in larger tubes that are cheaper than the standard 14/15 ml Daniel Smith, WN, etc. size.

It’s soooo transparent; it’s like painting with little puddles of stained glass. It is honey based paint so it’s quite runny, but if you use MG, then you’re familiar with that.

Holbein are not always as transparent, but they are lovely, too. They have a lot of more multi-pigment mixes, so label reading is key there. But for vibrant colors, they are awesome. And they will set up in your travel palette just fine but still rewet nicely. Sennelier will set, but not super hard. Of course they rewet with just a whisper of water. :)

Johndk

Hi Kate

I use a few of the Rembrandt Artists Colours. (Royal Talens). One is reasonably opaque (Venetian Red,), the others vibrant and transparent. There are a number of good transparent pigments available from Windsor & Newton Artist pigments. I am a fan of Daler Rowney Artist pigments, which have a lot of transparent and vibrant options, and at reasonable prices.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

KiwiKate

Thanks Janine and John. You’ve given me just the kind of input I’m looking for!

Kate
                    Henderson, Nevada
                    C&C always welcomed!

I have used some colours from the Shin Han Pwc and they are great. The problem with this line is that some of the colours are mixes so you’ll have to check in advance the pigments that they contain.
                    The Rebrandt that are supposedly the artist grade colours of Talens, are not that much different than the Van Goghs but they have a larger range of colours and the earth colours are made with the original pigments. I wouldn’t say though that they worth the difference in the price unless you go for the cobalts or some other colours that you will not find in the Van Goghs.

I can’t have an opinion for the Sennelier or the Holbein that I have never used but for me one of the best lines of watercolours are the BlockX.( if budget is not an issue of course), which are transparent, heavily pigmented and very bright.

edmund ronald

When I finally decided to make the big switch from student to artist grade paints, I did my research and bought some M. Graham and Daniel Smith in a few of my favorite transparent colors. So far, I have no particular problem with either of these brands, but quite honestly, they don’t “wow” me. I have a limited range of student grade Shinhan and Van Gogh paints in my sketching kit that I much prefer in that they handle well and are beautifully vibrant and transparent.

I really want to add more colors to my collection for my home “studio”and am now wondering if I should just go ahead and spring for the artist grade Shinhan (SWC Premium) or Van Gogh (Rembrandt) or if there are other similarly vibrant and transparent artist grade paints that I should be trying. By the way, I don’t like any of opaques I’ve tried. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Go for what you already have and like!

Sennelier are great btw, I think they are similar to what is sold under “Graham” in the US. I use both Sennelier and Schmincke btw, and initially I thought Sennelier more vibrant, but then I realised that Schmincke also have those abilities if you have the right set of colors – and vice versa Sennelier have Cadmiums and Cobalts, but you have to go out of your way to buy them.

Edmund

My virtual sketchbook, one a day https://www.instagram.com/edmundronald/

virgil carter

All of the globally recognized watercolor manufacturers make excellent artist-grade watercolor paints.

Experienced artists tend to not be brand loyal, but to select various paints from various manufacturers based on the pigments involved and the artist’s preferred handling qualities.

sling paint,
                            Virgil

Sling paint,
                            Virgil Carter
                            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

edmund ronald

All of the globally recognized watercolor manufacturers make excellent artist-grade watercolor paints.

Experienced artists tend to not be brand loyal, but to select various paints from various manufacturers based on the pigments involved and the artist’s preferred handling qualities.

sling paint,
                                Virgil

Yes, and maybe a more interesting question is whether you want to buy a fixed starter set or get your colors as a personal choice or as a palette recommended by a teacher.

Each geographical region has a preferred art-shop supplier who is cheaper – eg. Schmincke is expensive in the US but affordable in Europe. Sennelier happens to be well distributed in France and I like it, while a lot of people in the US seem to be using Daniel Smith which I can’t get easily or cheaply. However mail-order and the used stuff on ebay make it fairly easy to pick up a typical 24-color box from the usual suspects for a reasonable price, provided you lurk for a while – and this is true even for exotic brands like Holbein.

Edmund

virgil carter

It’s very easy for early painters to accept all the marketing hype and buy a set of preassembled tubes or pans. The painting manufacturers fully understand this and its why they market these sets.

Experienced painters know that virtually every set contains one or more paints which will never be used, or simply aren’t a very good paint for many subjects.

But early painters don’t know how to choose their paints, so they buy the sets.

Virtually no experienced painter buys a set, or buys all of their paints from the same manufacturer.

So what’s a painter to do? Put mileage on the brushes, learn about paints and their handling characteristics and get to the point where wise choices may be made.

And yes, availability and pricing certainly depends on individual countries.

Sling paint.

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil Carter
                                    http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

I am pleased with the vibrancy and transparency of Sennelier.

C&C is welcome.
                                    Richard

Watercollar

There’s no brand that has the perfect line of paints. M. Graham, Daniel Smith and Winsor and Newton are the most expensive and perhaps have the most consistent quality across their range. Some paints made by Sennelier, Schminke, Holbein and Maimeri are also excellent.
                                        Because you are based in US, you’re blessed with great prices on DS, M. Graham and DaVinci. These brands are widely appreciated for their quality.

Sebastian.

(C&C Welcomed.)

JPQ

Schmincke is much more transparent what i know than Winsor Newtons. and to me better quality (i dont like how w6n is more rough i use word becouse i dont have better word) and cheaper where itself live. only prolem some pigments are more lightfast in W&N. i bet its related what else these have than pigments and how maybe lightfastness is measured. and Sennelier is indeed nice paint. btw i heared form local shop Daler Rowney artist products (i dont know what bout theit student stuff) are discontinued by manufacturer.

Vorpal

I’m going to admit my dirty little secret paint addiction…[shuffles feet]. I have a lovely collection of Daniel Smith paints that I mostly use when I want to feel “professional”…but for vibrancy, transparency, and lusciousness, I use….

White Nights [hangs head].

I cannot tell you how I adore these paints, which are usually dismissed as student-grade, craftsy, or second-tier…something you would buy if you can’t afford “real” watercolors.

Out of curiosity, a few years ago I bought 24 full-sized pans on eBay for $1.99 each, and a 36-pan case for $10, expecting to be un-wowed. Boy, was I surprised. I chose all single-pigment transparent paints with good lightfast ratings, and I am ashamed to admit that I prefer them over any other brand.

They blend beautifully, rewet instantly, are liftable, glaze gorgeously, and happily interface with my Daniel Smiths. Although they are made with honey, they are not runny, so are fine for travel palettes, too.

Their earth colors aren’t impressive, and the color selection isn’t extensive (55, I think, at last count). But the majority of colors are single-pigment and the ones I purchased were truly outstanding.

I did supplement the palette with a few Daniel Smith Primateks, because I prefer this brand for the earth colors (Quin Gold, Sodalite and Bloodstone, especially).

I suggest you do not buy a set, as they contain opaque cadmiums, fugitives, and some mixed pigment colors. The sets are the ones reviewed on YouTube, and I suspect that’s why the brand is usually dismissed as second-rate. The best way to choose is to examine their color chart and select the lightfast, single-pigment, transparent pans instead.

Go ahead and snicker, sigh.

Susan

edmund ronald

I’m going to admit my dirty little secret paint addiction…[shuffles feet]. I have a lovely collection of Daniel Smith paints that I mostly use when I want to feel “professional”…but for vibrancy, transparency, and lusciousness, I use….

White Nights [hangs head].

I cannot tell you how I adore these paints, which are usually dismissed as student-grade, craftsy, or second-tier…something you would buy if you can’t afford “real” watercolors.

Out of curiosity, a few years ago I bought 24 full-sized pans on eBay for $1.99 each, and a 36-pan case for $10, expecting to be un-wowed. Boy, was I surprised. I chose all single-pigment transparent paints with good lightfast ratings, and I am ashamed to admit that I prefer them over any other brand.

They blend beautifully, rewet instantly, are liftable, glaze gorgeously, and happily interface with my Daniel Smiths. Although they are made with honey, they are not runny, so are fine for travel palettes, too.

Their earth colors aren’t impressive, and the color selection isn’t extensive (55, I think, at last count). But the majority of colors are single-pigment and the ones I purchased were truly outstanding.

I did supplement the palette with a few Daniel Smith Primateks, because I prefer this brand for the earth colors (Quin Gold, Sodalite and Bloodstone, especially).

I suggest you do not buy a set, as they contain opaque cadmiums, fugitives, and some mixed pigment colors. The sets are the ones reviewed on YouTube, and I suspect that’s why the brand is usually dismissed as second-rate. The best way to choose is to examine their color chart and select the lightfast, single-pigment, transparent pans instead.

Go ahead and snicker, sigh.

Why snicker? Every geographical zone has its own set of native artist’s paints, each with its advantages and idiosyncracies.

Edmund

KiwiKate

So many thoughtful comments and helpful suggestions — I have some exploring to do! Thanks so much Marialena, Edmund, Virgil, Richard, Sebastian, JPQ and Vorpal. I appreciate your input.

Kate
                                                        Henderson, Nevada
                                                        C&C always welcomed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.