Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Full Pans vs Half Pans

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Sutra

I’ll be taking a still life class this summer. The teacher works in and teaches oil paints, watercolors and colored pencils. I’ve been working in colored pencil in previous years but I’m intrigued by watercolors and figure the best time to try them is with a good teacher. She recommends beginning with an artist grade half pan set.

The problem I have is that those half pans look so small that i don’t see how hey could be comfortable to work with. Full pans look like they would be much more versatile.

Do experienced artists find that the half pans limit the size of brushes or wash areas or other aspects of painting?

oldey

Unless you are doing large paintings 1/2 pans can do the job.

star fisher

Half pans of watercolor go a long way. Big brushes are better with full pans if you paint directly from the pan. But I move the paint to a pallette first because that gives me more control over the amount of paint on the brush. So half pans work even with big brushes for me.

I don’t think half pans are particularly limiting, but I am more comfortable with full pans.

C&C is welcome.
                Richard

Unless I am sketching and working small, I don’t like half pans. I do think they limit the size of the brush. I still remember when I first started, trying to use half pans with a 1 1/2″ hake brush. It was funny, but not really fun. A big brush will suck up a lot of water/paint. I actually like to use tubes on a palette, though, so it’s personal preference. Hopefully the instructor is familiar with what works for what she’s teaching, so maybe half pans will be fine for her class. Perhaps you could contact her before you buy your paints and talk it over? Whatever you end up with, I hope you will enjoy your class and working in watercolour!

:) Noelle

frodron

I use a metal paint box in which I have replaced the used half pans with empty full sized pans.
                    These I have used to store paints from tubes.
                    You can obtain similar full pans on Ebay.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Johndk

Hi Sutra

I am a half-pan man. What I do is top them up from tubes the night before, and then they are good to go the next day. Topping up is more cost effective then constantly buying half-pan refills.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

LatteForZoey

Totally depends on the brush sizes you’re using. Half pans hold more than enough paint for any painting (unless you’re doing watercolor murals :lol: ), but it would be tough to use larger flats and rounds in them.

In general the larger your brush sizes, the larger the wells have to be. If you can fit the entire brush head inside the well, then you’re good to go. :)

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Zoey
                            MarekB

+1 for full pans: i find half pans too small for my large brush. Better yet, buy tubes and use to fill any size container you want..

Half pans are good for saving space and so making your painting kit more portable. But they have the limitations that most said above. Not enough space to work with larger brushes, not even enough space for not digging with the point of your smaller brushes in order to get some paint.
                                So if you have a budget issue and you don’t want to spend that much money for the watercolour set of this workshop, then buy the half pans in a set or individually ( this is better because you can choose the colours ) and move their paint blocks in larger pans.
                                Now what these large pans will be doesn’t really matter. Get the cheapest school/children box you can find, and stick the artists grade half pan paint blocks with the help of little water in there. With this way you ‘ll have the best of both worlds. Enough space in your pans to work with whatever size of brushes you want, and artists grade colours without having to buy a ready made full pans box that will cost you way too much.

The other option is to buy artists grade paints in tubes and fill with them a plastic folding palette. But the first option will cost you less as half pans are cheaper if you buy them individually than full pans or tubes.
                                You don’t get of course the same amount of paint but for the use that you want them, such kind of logistics don’t really matter.

Watercollar

Half pans are awkward to use even with some not very large brushes like 3/4inch flats. Larger rounds, although they fit, may cause overspills plus they’ll take more punishment digging the half pans. The price difference between the two pan sizes in some artist quality brands is not very significant. You can buy metal boxes that take both sizes and see how it goes.

Sebastian.

(C&C Welcomed.)

Cyntada

I never find them limiting, but I’m a plein aire sketcher, so portability is king for me.

You can always just get full pans. I’m sure the teacher isn’t going to take points off if you bring more paint! The only consideration might be cost, for you; if that is an issue, buy tubes (more economical) and pour the paint into anything you like. Let set – voila! Pans in the size of your choice, for less.

Enjoy your class, please let us know how it goes.

CK =)
                                        I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                                        DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada

I use a metal paint box in which I have replaced the used half pans with empty full sized pans.
                                        These I have used to store paints from tubes.
                                        You can obtain similar full pans on Ebay.

I don’t like messimg with tubes every time I want to paint, so I fill empty full size pans with the colors I use the most. I have a large tin for all the colors I normally use, and a small tin for quick sketches.

C&C is welcome.
                                        Richard

frodron

Hi, Richard,
                                            That is exactly what I have.
                                            Half pans can give you ptoblems with some brushes.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Ellen E

I use a half pan set of watercolors to paint plen aire but use tubes when I’m home. I wet my paints a time or two before I actually start painting and then I keep wetting the palette now and then as it seems to dry. It’s the wet paint that’s in a liquid state that we paint with and if the pans are well watered, then it’s not such a digging matter. I use rounds from size 2 to size 12 and I don’t find that I have to abuse my brushes much. I don’t work with larger than 9×12 paper and most of the time I cut those sheets in half, so I’m not needing such a great amount of liquid paint out of the pans.

Someone mentioned the porcelain small palettes (Jack Richeson is what I use) and they said they thought the little wells wouldn’t hold enough paint if working from tubes. I use tubes and you’d be surprised just how far tube paint stretches so those porcelain palettes (one with 22 wells and one with 12 wells, I have both sizes) that I use hold plenty. I use the inside of the palette lids as a mixing surface when I need more paint than the little wells hold. To start with, I just put my colors I’m going to use in the little wells along the side of the palette. Then I have three small wells left per row to use for additional paint bits for diluting for paler washes of that color or whatever. The wells are very smooth as is the lid—-nothing in them to damage your brushes at all. I’m going to fill one of the smaller ones with tube paint and let it dry, then I’ll take that to paint plen aire next time I go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.