Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

Anybody know about this? I just came across it. I’m copying and pasting the text but also providing the link for further study, if you wish.

Back in 2009, a lab full of chemists stumbled across a new pigment, more or less by sheer chance. After being heralded as “the creation of a near-perfect blue pigment,” this coincidental eureka moment is now being manufactured for artists’ brushes.

This burst of blue came about when scientists at Oregon State University (OSU) heated manganese oxide, along with other chemicals, to over 1,200°C (2,000°F). Although the scientists were actually looking at manganese oxide for some of its electronic properties, one of their reactions inadvertently birthed a new pigment: the catchily named “YInMn blue.”

The findings of the original study were published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

“Basically, this was an accidental discovery,” said Mas Subramanian, a Milton Harris professor of materials science in the OSU Department of Chemistry, in a statement. “Our work had nothing to do with looking for a pigment.

He added: “Then one day a graduate student who is working on the project was taking samples out of a very hot furnace while I was walking by, and it was blue, a very beautiful blue. I realized immediately that something amazing had happened.”

So, what’s so special about this blue?

This pigment is far more stable when exposed to heat or acidic conditions. Additionally, unlike Prussian blue or Cobalt blue pigments, it doesn’t release cyanide and is not carcinogenic – that’s always a plus. Not only that, the highly reflective properties of the new pigment means it could be used in paints that could help keep buildings cool by reflecting infrared light.

Subramanian told Artnet in a recent interview that the pigment has become a popular choice among artists because of its vivid color and resistant properties. The paint manufacturers Shepherd Color Company have also licensed a patent and is now selling samples of YInMn blue.

He added: “Our pigment is useful for art restoration, because it is similar to ultramarine but really more durable.”

https://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/this-new-shade-of-blue-was-accidentally-discovered-by-chemists/?fbclid=IwAR2nS9GItpfARYAuc1eoReaQJZ6LKt9kB7tghTeWTjdMuP6f-YhyISxkdKc

Richard P

There have been a few threads about this here I believe. It’s only available in small batches at the moment so expensive. Hopefully that will change with more mass production :)

Delofasht

YInMn blue is an opaque violet leaning blue, similar in mass and hue angle to ultramarine blue. To date, we have no opaque version of a color at this hue angle, while also providing other benefits of atmospheric and photo reactivity.

Unfortunately, though the manufacturer can produce it, and do sell it for art purposes in Austrailia, to at least one company. To my knowledge, they are awaiting some necessary governmental approvals before they can sell it here in the US. I have requested a sample from Shepard, but as my business is not directly that of paint manufacturing, they have not responded to me.

- Delo Delofasht
                Ted B.

Hmmm, that’s a very strange photo. Staring at it, it appears distinctly three-dimensional on my tablet …like a hologram. It clearly has both depth and surface texture, even if I change the angle or distance. Opened the pic in a different app on my tablet, still 3-D.

Maybe my glasses? Never noticed that effect before….

Radical Fundemunsellist

Ted B.

Tried different glasses with a different perscription …same odd holographic effect.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Delofasht

Pointed pile, photographed in HDR, image is adjusted chromatically to represent the color as best it can on the monitor. It actually turns out that like Ultramarine, the hue range does not photograph well and is difficult to represent appropriately with digital RGB systems.

- Delo Delofasht

Pointed pile, photographed in HDR, image is adjusted chromatically to represent the color as best it can on the monitor. It actually turns out that like Ultramarine, the hue range does not photograph well and is difficult to represent appropriately with digital RGB systems.

The problem is not the RGB, the problem is the displays. All LCD displays have a blue backlight that is the base of the blue it can display. If that backlight does not reach the chroma of the pigment then the display cannot show it. The same for LED (green is a range where LEDs are much better than blue).

There are RGB based displays with much much broader color capacity, but they are expensive and not what most people have at home.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Ted B.

But why is it holographic?

Radical Fundemunsellist

Delofasht

There are RGB based displays with much much broader color capacity, but they are expensive and not what most people have at home.

Well I was kind of considering the monitors as part of the RGB systems, but you are definitely correct that there are better monitors out there.

- Delo Delofasht
                                    Richard P

In terms of the opacity you could mix Phthalo Blue (PB15:6) with Dioxazine Violet (PV23) and Titanium Whte (PW6) to get the same hue and opacity at the expense of some chroma.

Delofasht

Absolutely true Richard, but that chroma is half of the appeal of YInMn blue, with another being that natural opacity, requiring less different paint mixing. Also, as your found in your thread on mixing colors with white, usually there is a hue shift, but with a few opaque paints, that shift is much less extreme (generally speaking).

- Delo Delofasht

But why is it holographic?

It is not holographic in fact, but the range of values are very close to the limits of what the monitor shows. When you move your head the colors shift a bit as in any monitor because of the cell aperture window, but the shift is uneven because in the regions where the color capacity is saturated you see almost no shift since the aperture of the LCD window is full. The uneven behavior makes your brain confused and it tries to find a visual interpretation for that strange behavior. i.e .. optical illusion.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Delofasht

It is not holographic in fact, but the range of values are very close to the limits of what the monitor shows. When you move your head the colors shift a bit as in any monitor because of the cell aperture window, but the shift is uneven because in the regions where the color capacity is saturated you see almost no shift since the aperture of the LCD window is full. The uneven behavior makes your brain confused and it tries to find a visual interpretation for that strange behavior. i.e .. optical illusion.

Superb explanation! I tried several times to write something similar but it got rather confusing to read so I gave up, glad there was someone here who could type the answer in an understandable manner. Thanks for that.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                dlWood

Just thought you might like to see Mike-not-Jerry from Jerry’s ArtaRama’s video on this paint. Apparently, Mike has connections :cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IJLXYz4FME&t=24s

I hope it’s okay to post that link.

~Debra
                                                    “When I sit down to make a sketch from nature, the first thing I try to do is to forget that I have ever seen a picture.” [/I][/COLOR]
                                                    - -John Constable

Delofasht

Just thought you might like to see Mike-not-Jerry from Jerry’s ArtaRama’s video on this paint. Apparently, Mike has connections :cat:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IJLXYz4FME&t=24s[/url]

I hope it’s okay to post that link.

I wish it were in something other than acrylic, the molecule size of acrylics means not being able to have as high pigment loading as what would be possible in oil, watercolor, gouache, or casein.

Pretty sure links to informational videos are fine unless they are directly trying to sell product the whole video.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.