Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Fast study on Bamboo Paper

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Delofasht

This is a little sample sheet of Bamboo sketch paper by Pentalic. It is designed as a lightweight sketchbook paper but took watercolor better than most any heavier weight papers I have tried actually. I did an initial sketch in a Sepia colored drawing pencil, followed by a bit of ink lines in the more foreground elements, painted it all up in watercolor and then added some lines with a Sharpie pen (dark gray). The handling of the paper blew me away for being so thin, and it didn’t have any fibers lifting or coming off either, which I really expected since I did some very heavy washes for the sky and mid ground. It did warp, as most light weight papers do, but is acceptable given how much water I put on it. I would love to find a 100% bamboo paper sometime to try.

I could have gone a lot further on this paper and may yet still do that. I wish they offered a heavier weight version of this paper, this one at 100 GSM paper (all of 65 pounds). . . was a very thin paper, yet incredibly durable.

- Delo Delofasht

You captured the distance very well, I love the scene.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Delofasht

Thanks Doug! It was really enjoyable to do, I have a few more watercolor studies I want to do here soon as well. Very fast medium for building distance, space, and atmosphere. I really struggled with the size of my brush though, half inch is a bit too big for detail.

- Delo Delofasht

Fantastic sketch Delo. The weight of the paper doesn’t really matter if the paper is strong enough.
            The Strathmore 500 series Mixed Media paper at 190 gsm is an extremely strong paper and withstands very wet washes, rubbing, scratching, lifting.. a lot of abuse.

But I’m really interested on these Bamboo papers. I have read various reviews about these papers and there are other manufacturers who offer similar paper. The new trend is Bamboo paper as it seems.

I’d like to test this sketchbook, you’ve made me very curious about it, but unfortunately is not available locally and I don’t know were to get one.

ETA: you might find interesting this one.

https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/traditional-fineart/bamboo/p/Product/show/22/141.html

https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/traditional-fineart/bamboo/p/Product/show/22/99.html

Personally I like very much the mixed media papers.

oldey

Very nice painting. I have not ever tried that kind of paper so thanks for the review.

Kaylen

nice sketch Delo,,, how durable is that paper supposed to be over time?

Kaylen Savoie
                    https://www.savoieartist.com/
                    At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.