Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Black and the limited pallet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
  • Author

I wanted to give this it’s own thread. Nicolas Uribe just posted this work in progress this morning over at Cennini. This painting is done entirely with cad red, black and white. This illustrates, better than anything , that black can be a wonderful color and so can limited pallets. He is not sure if he wants to stop here or continue painting on this peice. If It were mine I would have difficulty deciding what to do also. I think it is just absolutely beautiful as it is.

Guy

Wow! This is beautiful. If anything I’d bring out the face a little. break my brushes and run like hell.

Guy

artbabe21

Point well taken Linda—this is superb! :)

Cathleen~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~

TainQ2

Strongly agree. Frame it

guillot

It looks like a statue, coming to life! Very beautiful work!!! Why doesn’t your friend post their work here?? hmmm???

Tina

xavier

Drop dead Gorgeous!! This is fantastic ~ Xavier::clap:

hblenkle

The prints of Ansel Adams point out that black and white are capable of beautiful images. The Sepia painting of Old Masters are a good example of a very limited palette. A painting I did for Art class a year ago used black, white, and a yellow green. The background and foreground were yellow green. The vase was mostly black and white with a touch of yellow green for reflected light. The contrast in color and seemly noncolor made the vase stand out besides giving it the look of a white clay vase.
                            Harold

Gilberte

Very very beautiful ……….

Stunning work!
                                He should post his works here :) So we could enjoy them:)

Julia

JamieWG

Okay…well….I’ll bite and be the dissenter! I don’t like it. I think his rendering is wonderful, and what a shame that the painting is so black and grey. I wouldn’t want this in my house! It’s not that I can’t appreciate his skills….just that it’s not my taste. I look at this painting and think about what it could have been.
                                    Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                    [/url]
                                    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

It can come hang out in my house anytime it likes. :D I love, love, love limited pallets. I think this is stunning.

Well, that's like hypnotising chickens.
                                    [/i]~ Iggy Pop

TomHart

Beautiful painting!

I also think that the limited palette is a wonderful tool. It suits me, anyway. I think, too, that the avoidance of black is somewhat superstitious…not justified as an all-or-nothing rule, anyway. Black can be overused, but it can also be used stunningly and beautifully.

miked

Black is a very useful color. But I can understand why some people suggest avoiding it, particularily at the beginning.

I remember one particular major disaster in pastels… It was a night sky scene lit up by lightning. The clouds looked quite black, so I took out my black pastel and went to work – big mistake. I’ve heard the effect described as looking like “a hole in the canvas”, and that’s about right.

Just something to think about before whipping out the black, useful though it is.

Thanks for showing us this Linda! I think it’s a great piece of work.
                                            And that palette… well add a ochre to that and you basically have the same palette that Zorn used for all of his figures and portraits.

Beautiful.

//matt

Skill of hand can never make up for emptiness of heart

I am presently using ultramarine blue mixed with trans. red oxide for my black for my ebay paintings, but in the recent past I was happily using black. It’s just another way of looking at things. I never used black when I was doing pastels because I didn’t like the dust and the non shiney surface. However Degas and Cassatt used lots of black very successfully. Black is just another color that needs exploration for successful use.
                                            I don’t know why Nicolas doesn’t post over here.
                                            Nicks normal pallet is alizarin crimson, cad. red, burnt sienna, yellow ochre, ultra blue, sometimes viridian,black, and white. This one was just an experiment. But he is usually painting people so it is essentially a portrait pallet. If he were painting lemons he would need more than yellow ochre as his only yellow , I think.
                                            I will bring over a couple more paintings that he posted using all the colors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Black and the limited pallet’ is closed to new replies.