WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Re: Question for Etsy Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
Curious why you think it takes a lot of time to sell on Etsy? 15 minutes to list and that's about it.
Robin fair point. I was thinking - you list some items - you make $100 profit in six months - That's just $16. a month! But as you point out another way to look at is - that's $100 for 15minutes work.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Bongolian,
I know what you mean. No offence taken . My profits from etsy were good before the price increase. At one point, I had 4 local sales together with 3 from etsy in a span of 3 weeks. I was excited about the local sales, but the extra 3 from etsy added quite a bit of extra money which was a much welcomed bonus.
I've sold a lot of paintings locally with most purchases being multiples. There are a lot of people looking for abstracts.
My prices may be lower, but I'm happy with the profit. For a 12"x16", I spend $15 on material, two hours on labor, 15 minutes to list on Etsy, and my profit is $85.
Hope this clears things a little as to why etsy can be beneficial to a lot of people.

Harold,
Thank you for your input.

Robin,
Thank you so much for your help. I never thought about using those titles like that. Now when I look at my titles and tags, they're actually very confusing and messy. They don't match either. I'm going to try your suggestion along with keywords from my all time stats page.
I'm going to start editing them over the weekend.

Have you heard of etsyrank? You can use it to analyze your shop and look up trends on etsy. At one point, it had "wall decor" in the top 15 or so key words trending on etsy, but some words and phrases die down very fast. I just decided to add it to my titles when I was editing. Not going to use it anymore. I've always thought etsy only looked at one word at a time. Now that you've mentioned it, and I just read it somewhere online, I'm gong to use phrases.
"wall art" is something I've gotten a lot of hits on.

Well, I now have the result from lowering my bid price. My impressions is way lower than yesterday. 170 impressions, 1 click, 2 direct traffic and hits from wetcanvas. I've been getting direct traffic daily since I dropped my prices, and based on my past stats, that's a good sign of upcoming sales.

Thank you again for your input. I'll report back in a day or two after doing some changes.

Moe

Last edited by Moe T : 09-14-2017 at 11:21 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Moe, etsyrank gave me a flunking grade for a search term I sold a LOT from.

It's good for catching spelling errors and not using all your tags.

I think with Etsy, it's important to test a few and see what happens. Like I said, they seem to be testing right now, so everything can change in an instant.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

As far as I can see with Etsy, the best approach is not to target general search terms like 'wall art' or 'oil painting' or even 'landscape painting' but more specific terms like 'mississippi landscape' or 'irish landscape' or 'blue impressionist'. It is also important to provide multiple ways to be found so you would have 'mississippi landscape' PLUS 'landscape painting' PLUS 'mississippi painting' PLUS 'oil landscape' etc. That way you show up highly for anyone searching for say 'oil painting of mississippi landscape' OR 'mississippi landscape painting' because the two word tags you have set form part of the longer search terms they use. That way the searches don't return 400,000 results, but perhaps 4,000 - or if you are really good at writing tags and getting inside the heads of searchers (I'm not!) perhaps 40.

Of course this is much harder with abstracts because the language you can use to describe it becomes much harder to pin down. In the end you are forced to think like the person wanting a nice picture to go with their sofa. If that's what it takes though to sell visual images using words I'm certainly going to try.

This approach should also work to help you rank well in google searches. In my Etsy shop selling reproductions I can sometimes get on page 1 or 2 of the google results for some searches which is pretty good I think.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBertram
In my Etsy shop selling reproductions I can sometimes get on page 1 or 2 of the google results for some searches which is pretty good I think.
You're on the first page on Etsy with "Fat Bottomed Girls".
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I can get onto the first page of Etsy very often with searches. Less so on google searches, but I can do it often enough to feel I'm on the right lines. It's just a lot of work to keep on top of it.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Robin,
Yeah, I also use etsyrank mostly to check spelling and look up trends.
You're right. I'm sure they've done something recently. I'm noticing some major changes on ads that I haven't updated. They're getting impressions and I've lowered their bids down to 0.10. Impression count are not high but usually at that bidding price, it would sit at zero or close to it. It's something I noticed this past few days.

I'm sort of experimenting with the amount and so far I'm seeing a very noticeable improvement on my tweaked ads.
I did a test by opening a different browser which is not logged in. I did a search for "abstract" painting, and at 0.30 on selected ads, I placed in first page, with a few more in the top 5 pages. Anything from Page 2 and on, are a mix of high 0.30 and low 0.10 bids.
Waited until later that evening and did the same search, I had one listing on Page 2, another on Page 3 and 4. This is super and probably the best I've done on Etsy so far. The one that showed on page 3 only had a 0.10 bid.
But I don't want to keep many ads at 0.30. I'm just going to select one or two at 0.30 and keep the rest low. I'm going to keep tweaking them to see what happens.
So far there is definitely an improvement in my visibility and visits.

Thank you so much for your help, Robin.

Ian,
Thank you for your input, Ian. I've made changes in the past few days to a bunch of ads and I'm getting some good results on simple words as well. Still trying to tweak them to make my titles unique. You're right, it's very difficult to do with abstracts.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBertram
As far as I can see with Etsy, the best approach is not to target general search terms like 'wall art' or 'oil painting' or even 'landscape painting' but more specific terms like 'mississippi landscape' or 'irish landscape' or 'blue impressionist'. It is also important to provide multiple ways to be found so you would have 'mississippi landscape' PLUS 'landscape painting' PLUS 'mississippi painting' PLUS 'oil landscape' etc. That way you show up highly for anyone searching for say 'oil painting of mississippi landscape' OR 'mississippi landscape painting' because the two word tags you have set form part of the longer search terms they use. That way the searches don't return 400,000 results, but perhaps 4,000 - or if you are really good at writing tags and getting inside the heads of searchers (I'm not!) perhaps 40.

Of course this is much harder with abstracts because the language you can use to describe it becomes much harder to pin down. In the end you are forced to think like the person wanting a nice picture to go with their sofa. If that's what it takes though to sell visual images using words I'm certainly going to try.

This approach should also work to help you rank well in google searches. In my Etsy shop selling reproductions I can sometimes get on page 1 or 2 of the google results for some searches which is pretty good I think.

This is very true, and a hard thing for those of us who sell a popular but niche item that few people use anything BUT a few search terms.

But I'm seeing a trend to show new shops with very inexpensive on the first pages, so Etsy might again sink for me as a venue.

I'm working on IG now.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
This is very true, and a hard thing for those of us who sell a popular but niche item that few people use anything BUT a few search terms.

But I'm seeing a trend to show new shops with very inexpensive on the first pages, so Etsy might again sink for me as a venue.

I'm working on IG now.

I saw a discussion or read an article about this somewhere. I'm not sure if it applies to paintings as much. I just did a search for "abstract painting" and the first two pages had paintings ranging from $16 to $2000. One of mine actually popped up on page 2.
It's hard to say with etsy because they're always changing things. I just want the old stats back .

How are you promoting your shop on IG? I can't figure it out. Etsy will tell you if you have traffic coming from IG, but I don't see where I can place a hot link anywhere on IG.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I have my website in my description. It's clickable. I'm going to put it in my title for the next one I upload.