WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2017, 12:03 PM

Re: Best software

I have worked exclusively with Painter for years, now, starting with version 3 right up to Corel Painter 2016. It can be a wonky program, with lots of...personality...that takes some getting used to. It's still the best, by far, of the digital natural media programs.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2017, 01:28 PM

It depends on the type of drawing! Photoshop is generally used for 2D drawings, while for 3D drawings Rhino 3D, 3Ds Max are some famous titles.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Williamsburg, VA

Hails from United States

My preferred painting program is the new ArtRage version 5. Outstanding if you want to paint real paintings. They upgraded the pencils and pastels too. And now, they have custom brushes that work the same way as Procreate does.

It is so much easier to use than Painter, which I decided not to upgrade to the latest 2017 version this time. It is a great program too (2017) but it has let me down to many times in the past and the interface; while much better than 2016, still feels clunky to me. Plus it costs way to much. Even the upgrades are priced to high for my taste. Sorry for bashing Painter, that is not my intent. I just prefer ArtRage now!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2017, 02:06 AM

Hails from Canada

https://www.getleonardo.com/help/introduction

Anyone try this with their Surface Pro? I just ordered the surface pro 4
with 8gb and was wondering if this would be a good program to buy.
Thanks Firebugy.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2017, 04:39 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Looks good, there are several others which work in Windows 19 such as Krita, Mediabang and Clip Studio Paint.

Doug
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Hails from Canada

Thanks. Mediabang looks good.

Firebugy
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Norfolk, UK

hi! I use Photoshop but I have to say that there is nothing that compares to Manga Studio's paint brushes, they are AMAZING and the lines come out crisp and better than your natural ones!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2017, 02:07 PM

I've recently over the past 6 weeks started to shift from conventional oil painting into digital. I downloaded Krita, Corel Painter, Artrage 5 and Rebelle 2. I had a hard time deciding which program to invest my time and money into. They are all good, but closely looking at finished paintings by enlarging them and printing them out, I could see a definite advantage with Rebelle. I've been just using the sketching and acrylic paint tools. The way Rebelle lays down paint is amazing. From impasto, washes, and glazing amazed me. And the cost is easy on the wallet.

Will post some of my work soon. Have to figure out how to size artwork to post first.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
A long way from distant

Hails from Netherlands

There a cross platform (both Mac and Windows) new program called Affinity that has Photoshop or Corel PhotoPaint like functions and is very cheap - about 55 Euro and no subscription! Check out their website: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ In the first year of entering the market this program won best program award for Macintosh.

https://communicats.blogspot.nl/
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 AM

I've used Photoshop for 23 years, 12 of them professionally. When Adobe turned evil, I looked elsewhere: Clip Studio Paint was my choice (AKA Manga Studio). just after I bought it, I discovered by luck Paintstorm Studio, and THAT'S THE ONE. The brush behavior and settings are phenomenal. Eons ahead. 20 bucks. The UI can still be improved, but it already is much better than Painter's or Krita's (or Photoshop brush/tool presets organization & management, for that matter). And it's pretty much one guy: no greedy, totalitarian, society-destroying corporate ****s.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Hello there.
So lucky to have one of those fancy surfaces.
Well... what you gotta do first it check if the software you want to use will be compatible with your Surface's Drivers, and if they accept Pressure Sensitivity or any kind of suff like that.
Secondly... think about what you want to use the Software for.
And then, seek for Software for your purposes.
Now, onto software:

The most popular one:
1.- Photoshop.
I wouldn't recommend a newbie to go for Photoshop, as it's way too complex to start with. Although capable to create Vector renderings, is a great alternative for High Quality artwork.
The only problem is: It's a paid software.
But you'll be paying for proffesional software. You'll receive what you'll be paying for.

2.- Adobe Painter/Illustrator.
Adobe has stated that they support both Windows Surface drivers and Wacom Tablet's Drivers. So there you have a great alternative. I haven't used Adobe's products, but they too have the capacity to produce Vector Quality artwork. They have less tools and options than Photoshop. But I'll recommend it for Intermediate-Advanced Users.

3.- Gimp.
This is the one I use the most. As it's compatible with my Touch Device.
Gimp works with BitMaps, and it's one of the most common free alternative to Photoshop.
As an experienced GIMP user, I will detail you what you will be able to do with it:
1.- It has a completely customizable User Interface. It even lets you choose "Themes" for the Interface.
2.- You'll be able to create High Quality Bitmap artwork. It lets you choose the resolution of importation and exportation. So, let's say that you want a small picture with a really good pixel density, let's say: 1000x1000px at 600dpi... GIMP CAN DO IT!
3.- It lets you use many fiilters for your artwork. For instance, simulate the texture of Real-Life Canvas, so you can paint "with Oils" or even choose paper-like textures for "Pastels" or "Colored Pencils". These textures are completely customizable, as you can choose the spacing of the texture, the density of the texture, the depth, the opacity, anything you like.
4.- It allows you to create Custom Brushes. SO YOU CAN RECREATE MANY REAL-LIFE-LIKE MATERIALS! But it takes a little effort and knowledge on the "how to" recreate such materials.
5.- You'll be able to create the so-called Dynamics. These Dynamics are literally, how your brush will behave.
Just to give you some sort of Idea of what these Dynamics are... you'll be able to choose between 10 or so options.
These options vary between:
- Oppacity
- Spacing
- Pressure
- Thickness
- Color
- Velocity
- Random
etc.
So for instance, if you want a Dynamic that emulates bigger lines based on the pressure of your surface, you'll be able to fully customize the thickness of the line.
Or if you want to emulate Color Oppacity based on the speed of your stroke, you can fully customize how opaque or light your colours will be.

So, in my experience, not having a Wacom of any Touch Sensitive surface/pen, is a huge advantage having the option to create a Dynamic that simulates Pressure Sensitivity based on the speed of my strokes.

I've created many Dynamics that use all the features of Dynamics Creation to simulate many materials, from Watercolor, to Oils and Pastels!
So, for instance, if I feel like painting in Oils, I just choose "Oils" Dynamic
and all my Custom Brushes will behave and simulate the Oil+Canvas texture.
Or I choose my "Pastels" Dynamic and it will behave Pastel-Like.

So... there you go my friend.
It's just a matter of playing with the software and deciding what will work for you.

Greetings!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 06:36 AM

I think Photoshop is one among the best software available in the market. It is can quickly learn. Many tutorials are available on the interney
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

But it is unaffordable for the ordinary Joe. I don't find it easy to use.

Doug