WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 PM

I seem to be unable to paint a decent background

OK so I have like 4 unfinished paintings because of this, and I need advise desperately... it's like I get what looks like a good idea in my head, I sketch said Idea and then I paint it. It's all well and good until it's background time. I always end up with these messy, ugly mass of color behind... Please please any advice!! ( I also suck at painting liquids, as you can see)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Re: I seem to be unable to paint a decent background

all I'll say is you shouldn't treat the background as an afterthought or it will look like one. You need to envisage people inside their world and interacting with it then they will look like they are a part of it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 AM

I wouldn't say you suck at painting in fact you''ve done well, just a couple of things though.
Until it's background time?? you mean you paint in the background later?? That's arse about my friend, think of the background second, then the subject (you already know what that is, right?)
Your first thought should be of your subject and how it interacts with the background and especially the foreground. Your choice of color in the background reflects and says the light is on her left... Well done.
You only need to understand that the movement of the water, which you have also done well is not quite right.
The black lines (below the water line) of her top should be either not seen or very much blurred. Water refracts and distorts-hope you understand.
The heart just like the skull below are both out of place and don't belong there, both are distractions and say nothing at all.
The background of the young lady suits the mood of your subject and is not distracting at all. Stay away from backgrounds that distracts and makes the viewer look away from the subject.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 PM
N.N.J. / NYC

Hails from United States

I Like What You're Doing !!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

Paint background first, then the main subject/object after it is dry..
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Pahoa, Hawaii

Hails from United States

Quote:
Paint background first, then the main subject/object after it is dry..

I completely agree! I have a terrible time with backgrounds and have found that doing the background first is much less stressful and lets me actually finish the artwork. I have a sad pile of old unfinished drawings and paintings with either a ruined background or ones with no background at all that I'm afraid of ruining.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 02:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I like it too. I would say also that background should go into your overall thinking. If the character (subject) is in front of something that will also be incorporated into the design. However, there is nothing wrong with "simple black curtain," so to say.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 PM

I think you could benefit from keeping some texture in! If i were you id try not blending the strokes towards the edges. Uust play around with not blending- it took me years to be comfortable with that
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2017, 10:31 PM

I like your backgrounds in the presented paintings. I agree with everyone else that the background colour should be part of the process of putting the painting together in your head before you begin. If it helps, maybe a small blocking in type painting in watercolor or acrylic (very loosely) to see what it would all look like in colour combinations? But I think apart from making the background a part of your process earlier, you are doing a pretty good job deciding what to do with it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 AM

And i dont see where it needs a background. I thought they were finished.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Painting the background should be part of the overall process, not an afterthought. The painting of each area is a push and pull of how each relates to the other. I will say that I have had more success with backgrounds by lowering the chroma of the background color, making it more gray. This will help create atmosphere around your subject. Your primary focus is the face which should have the most chroma overall. Lowering the chroma pushes an area to lesser attention.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

By the way, I forgot to say also that if you are using water, the reflections are totally wrong. Your light would also reflect "up." Try it in real life and look at the various reflections. Art is observation and the recording of observations.