WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Best current Tablet Computer for art? (Jan 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupiter

If you're used to "tablets" meaning "things like iPads", it's weird to see Wacom calling the Intous products "tablets" when they don't have a screen.

Some of us were used to the Wacoms already being called tablets. Now you have to specify which you are talking about. Most people are not familiar with drawing tablets though. Long ago I asked if they had any at a Staples and they took me to the paper section.

I was hoping Barb would look in here, she has an iPad pro, and the pen that goes with it, and there's a app that only works with it, forget what it's called.

Personally I still prefer painting on my pc with my Intuos. I feel like I can be more accurate than when painting on an iPad screen. But I don't have a good stylus, which could make a big difference.

I do like iPad for Procreate. That would be my main influence in choosing. I could not find an app that I liked as much for android. Procreate is very versatile, plus it seems to be the only one that has the controls for brush size and opacity on the side. You can easily change then at any time and they are not in the way.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Canberra

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago.dagostini
Considering that hardware wise current macs are just MID END PCs, that is not true anymore. You can buy a PC 2 times more powerful for half the price.

Given the OP asked for a tablet computer, and there isn't really a Mac tablet... let's leave the Mac vs. PC.... and cintiq issue.... sorry for introducing the cintiq and confusing the OP!

Without considering price, the best options (in my opinion) are:
  • iPad Pro 12.1" with Apple Pencil
  • Microsoft Surface Pro 4
  • Wacom MobileStudio Pro

With an honourable mention to the Samsung Tab with S Pen line of tablets, the latest being (I believe) the Samsung Tab A 10.1 with S Pen (wikipedia).

If you're already in love with some particular software such as Photoshop or Clip Studio, then the Microsoft or Wacom options are best. If you're not, consider the iPad.

You can find cheaper pen-enabled Windows tablets, I used to have an Asus one, but be prepared for an experience that cuts corners. The Asus pen was very thin, had a button that was hard to press, the power button on the tablet was unreliable, it was really slow etc.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2017, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

tiago.dagost; Yes, after reading a little about Gates changing the MAC OS, demanding hardware changes, I am not surprised, and of course the demise of Jobs. However, the Mac has that stigma and most programmers seem bound to author software for the MAC above all else. That being true Corel has really made an attempt to drive down that mystique with the new Corel Painter 2017. In addition, I am impressed by all of the new software based on Intel from the programmers of the art community and look forward to the next five years for ground breaking technologies in digital media, even if I am the traditional paint by brush who only dabbles in digital.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupiter

If you like macs, then a Cintiq + a MacBook is as portable as it gets... and the cintiq will still tie you to a power point.

If you have a Macbook/Mac and an iPad... it is worth the $20 to get Astropad and turn your iPad into a Cintiq.. You'll be able to use full Photoshop/Corel/Manga Studio.. etc on your iPad through your Mac.. it is extremely responsive!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Canberra

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLewis
If you have a Macbook/Mac and an iPad... it is worth the $20 to get Astropad and turn your iPad into a Cintiq.. You'll be able to use full Photoshop/Corel/Manga Studio.. etc on your iPad through your Mac.. it is extremely responsive!

I've tried Astropad on my 12" iPad, I'm not sure if it's my computer that is too slow or what but I've struggled using Manga Studio (used to use it on Windows tablet). Very slow, tracking my stylus was just way too laggy so I just use iPad software now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also only works if you're near your computer, i.e. you can't leave it at home .
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenart
tiago.dagost; Yes, after reading a little about Gates changing the MAC OS, demanding hardware changes, I am not surprised, and of course the demise of Jobs. However, the Mac has that stigma and most programmers seem bound to author software for the MAC above all else. That being true Corel has really made an attempt to drive down that mystique with the new Corel Painter 2017. In addition, I am impressed by all of the new software based on Intel from the programmers of the art community and look forward to the next five years for ground breaking technologies in digital media, even if I am the traditional paint by brush who only dabbles in digital.

Considering I am a programmer working exactly on the field developing computer vision tech to be used on future products.. (sorry contract does not allow me to say what final product company hires the company I work to develop that). I can say that is not completely true. Most programmers HATE to work for the mac. But the marketing departments usually demand us to do so. Macs (Desktop and notebooks) are purely "intel" tech for ages already, but the operating system is a huge annoyance for developers due to unique ... "quirks"...

Nowadays 90% of the quality of your workstation is in the software..(since the processing hardware is the same no matter the brand) the other 10% is in the tablet hardware :P

Unfortunately the marketing trends are pushing for everything to be done " in the cloud" or in a Tablet (on the word sense that apple uses), that will result in a DRASTIC drop in real advancements since the drawbacks are huge.I foresee some few dark years ahead because of that.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2017, 04:59 PM
Canberra

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago.dagostini
Considering I am a programmer working exactly on the field developing computer vision tech to be used on future products.. (sorry contract does not allow me to say what final product company hires the company I work to develop that). I can say that is not completely true. Most programmers HATE to work for the mac. But the marketing departments usually demand us to do so.

I'm also a programmer, and we're forced to develop for Windows but we would much rather do iOS or Mac (or Linux). Maybe we should swap companies
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2017, 08:16 PM
WC! Guide
New Jersey

Hails from United States

It depends on what you want to do. As someone mentioned, blender is not available for Ipads. The ipad pro is wonderful for art. It has not only Procreate but a few more very powerful applications. The Apple pencil is almost better than the pen for wacom tablets. And with the development of some of the ipad software, I think this makes a good alternative to the Surface pro. The plus for the surface pro will let you load any pc program but I'm not familiar with how good there stylus is. If you have some experience with PC digital painting software, this might be the way to go. The other alternative is the Wacom Mobil pro. This is not cheap but in my opinion, the best of the best. The weight has come down significantly since the Wacom companion first came out but it would still be heavier than the surface. The battery life is not as long as the ipad and I don't know about the Surface.But You can load any PC program and take it with you. This one is a full computer. If I had to choose again between the ipad pro 12.9 and the Mobil pro, it would be a close race.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Best current Tablet Computer for art? (Jan 2017)in10

Hallo
I have an Asus Transformer Book wich is a combo from laptop and tablet it runs win10 and I can do artrage and even gimp with it I don't know how it would be with 3D stuff but that's not my buisness
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2017, 02:29 PM

I've been using almost every tablet and drawing gadget out in the market since several years. This is my advice on hardware, software and tablet. I am coming from a traditional background with real media so I've needed to try everything in order to feel comfortable with digital.

Hardware:
* In 2017 it is not so important whether you use Windows Laptop or a brand new Macbook Pro. Right now there are many laptops more powerful than the best Mac. Times have changed. Unless for some reason you need to use exclusively Mac software (unlikely, since the most powerful digital software available Photoshop and Corel Painter can be used in both machines) then use whatever you like and can afford.
For sure you will need a powerful machine. I am talking about 2D, if you use 3D with Blender or similar the requirements rise quite a lot.

Software:
* Photoshop clearly dominates the market of digital art. If you hesitate visit a pro site like ArtStation and see the software used by the top artists in this industry. This is for a reason. All the built-in "special fx" of Corel painter can be created in PS if you like. Same for mixing paint and traditional-like tools. All can be done in PS, the point is that it does not come by default like in Corel Painter, but you can create the tools.
* Corel Painter. IMO this is an overcomplicated software. It is easy to waste months tweaking all the buttons and sliders of every single preset. It does a good job at emulating real media, but it can be done in PS too.
* Procreate. Amazing piece of software for US$5. Difficult to believe. For sure it can't compare to Phtoshop but by far is the best software designed for an iPad Pro. Now it exports to PS and importing from PS into Procreate keeping the PS layers (when the iPad RAM allows).

Tablets:
Monopole is for Wacom, the only possible competitor is the iPad pro.

Wacom Intuos Pro.
* I've have three Wacom Intuos, right now I use a Wacom Intuos Pro 2015 in Medium size for the large display home, and another one in Small size to use with the laptop.
It is the most versatile, powerful, pressure sensitive and professional tablet I've ever used.
It just needs one cable (or none if you like to use it wireless). They have just launched in 2017 a "Paper version" which (in addition) allows to use a wacom pen to draw with paper on the tablet.

Wacom Cintiq.
I wanted to feel the difference of drawing directly on the surface. I did not like the drawing feeling, it is a piece of glass and there is a noticeable gap btw the tip of the pen and the drawing. The gap is ever more significant close to the edges, to me this is a no-go (I was in show with this lack of quality).
It needs too many cables! really too many. Right now I do not use it, it was a mistake and want to sell it.
The "touch" feature of the Cintiq is poor. Compared to turning the canvas with the fingers with an iPad pro the difference is huge.

Ipad Pro.
The hardware itself is amazing. The drawing experience with Procreate and the Apple Pencil is magic. I have compared this for more than one year already and is much better than the Cintiq.
Now, the point is to be able to use a full version of Photoshop with the iPad Pro but it does not exist... yet.
However there is a promising solution: Astropad.

Astropad Studio is the Pro version of the software. It has improved a lot in the last years but it lacks two features.
1-The pressure sensitivity is much worse than (for example) a Wacom Intuos. They claim they are preparing an Editable Pressure Curve, but it is still not there.
2-The hover function. Astropad cannot provide hover function. This is not the fault of the software: the Apple Pencil "1" does not have hover function so it is not possible to know the "mark" of the pencil before actually touching the screen. This is a no-go for me. I need to see the size of the brush and the position hovering over the tablet, like I do with the Wacom Intuos.

IMO when Astropad studio will eventually fix these two issues it will be an amazing solution and will make many users sell their Cintiqs.

I am awaiting for April-May 2017 when Apple will hopefully launch a new improved Apple Pencil "2" with (hopefully! ) hover function and then I will move all-in with Astropad, Photoshop and the iPad Pro. For the time being I keep my Wacom Intuos Pro that never fails.

hope this helps.
Pedro
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2017, 06:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

The iPad Pro is great for my needs. They have a pen stylus and you can easily do any kind of painting that you want. You can draw right on the screen. Procreate is really nice to use, and allows you to import a photo and draw right on top of it, then you can turn off the photo since you can make layers. I have not found a way to add text and more sophisticated things, but it takes very little time to be able to use it, unlike Adobe software.

Be quick to forgive, we all make mistakes. That is what makes us human.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM

I use mac and apple is really going downhill for end users. There are so many apple products that havent been updated in a long time. Even the ipad pro 12.9 is two years old now. They try and sell these products like Imac and mac mini
and mac pro that are several generations (2+ years old in most cases) old for premium prices. I like apple but in this case im not drinking the coolaid and buying old computers for maximum profit. These days I would look at Wacom Mobile Studio Pro.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Hails from Netherlands Antilles

hey guys , can you say which platform the best to work on? in terms of functionality and accessibility. pros and cons