Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Another question about portrait painting in watercolor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    janinep7

Thank you to everyone who responded to my other question for book/DVD and tutorial suggestions. Lots of good things to explore there.

Here is another question…

Who are good subjects to paint when you are starting out with portraiture?

I’ve tried to paint my husband from photos but I am having a terrible time capturing his likeness. I think I know him too well and I cannot see his photo objectively. I’ve tried to paint him several times but none of the men in the portraits look at all like the one I’m actually married to! (Maybe his distant relatives?) It’s interesting how we transform things in our mind. And of course the “transformative” properties of watercolor help that along too.

Any thoughts on good subjects to learn on? Or things I should be looking for in the ref. photos that would make it easier or more difficult to paint from, to fix or ????

Thanks in advance.

Cyntada

Seriously, try the Betty Edwards method of putting your ref upside down and painting it as a non-objective field of color and value. Had a high school art teacher give us a ref that was just black and white blobs. I had no idea why we were drawing this mess. At the end of the class he said turn your papers upside down.

I has just drawn a flawless portrait of Marilyn Monroe. My uncle still has it in his memorabilia collection. :)

CK =)
            I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
            DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada
            janinep7

Great minds think alike, Cyntada. I just printed out the ref photo of my husband and was planning to give that old trick a try. :)

LatteForZoey

I have drawn portraits since I was a kid and painted portraits since I started watercolor. Let me tell you, I still cannot get my portraits to actually look like the person I’m trying to draw. :lol: I think it might be easier if you draw gridlines on both your wc paper and reference and try to match a perfect sketch by the square. I personally dislike using gridlines because it just feels more inorganic to me, so instead I just do pencil value studies beforehand. As CK mentioned, everything can essentially be broken down into black and white shapes!

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Zoey
                    janinep7

Gridding is definitely an option, but I’d rather hold off on that for now. “Perfect” isn’t what I’m trying for; just for the painting to bear enough of a resemblance to the person to be recognizable. :)

I will just keep after it and let you all know if I am able to figure out a method that works!

PS I can get a likeness on subjects that are not my husband; it’s just his portrait that’s giving me issues! I like the draw it upside down idea. Maybe if I trick my brain into thinking it’s someone else that will do it.

hblenkle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IskrS2uQ23Y&t=240s

Stefan Baumann, an artist that had a tv show and teaches at a school, tells in the video how a proportional divider can help you drawing skills for when you are drawing freehand and a good method to check a drawing to see where you went wrong. I used a proportional divider when I was brushing up on my drawing skills since I had a period where I did not draw as much after taking a college drawing class. I still use it to check my drawing if it looks like something maybe off.

The likeness depends mostly on two things. In the eyes’ area and at the edges of the mouth. These two are the most expressive parts of any face while the rest, depending the angle of view of the observer ( in our case artist) might look different.

So it is very important to practice, either by making plenty of sketches, or always draw your model, either from life or from a photo.

Draw not copy because if you copy you will never be able to understand the proportions of the face features and how you can put them down on your paper.

The upside down method helps because in this case you draw shapes and not something that you understand as a face or an object, but this method doesn’t help at all to understand how to draw from life. It is better to use this method for checking any differences after finishing drawing normally. In drawing from life there is no chance to have a model standing upside down , so learning how to draw what you see is something that it would be in your benefit in the long run.

The good news. It is not so difficult as it seems. As all other things this can be learned by getting any kind of paper and start drawing eyes and mouths from various photos or persons in various expressions or angles.
                            If you do that for a week you ‘ll see how easier will become for you to understand the basic parts of a face.

The colour application is the easy part if you overcome the drawing/likeness barrier as a portrait can be made from some simple washes that indicate where is the light or the dark areas, up to the super realistic painting of countless washes.

It doesn’t matter because the colour on a portrait is a personal choice and if the drawing is accurate the portrait will look like the person either way.
                            Focus on the aim. The aim in a portrait is the likeness so it is all about the drawing.

@all. Don’t try to cut road with grids and other such methods. These methods might give decent some decent results but don’t allow you to learn how to draw a face because you will draw squares and not facial features.

Hi Janine. Portraits have been the toughest subject for me, but it is so fun, when they (finally? surprisingly?) work. The trick for me was paying very close attention to proportions and placement. Andrew Loomis’ classic Fun With a Pencil, which is online and in the public domain, last I knew, helped me understand these concepts. If you get the shapes wrong or how the shapes are placed, relative to each other, it won’t be a likeness. I did practice parts of the face, too. I think using a subject whom you don’t mind turning into a mess is helpful, at first, because those first tries – ugh! I think it’s harder to see a loved one deformed by your own pencil/brush! Plus, it may be harder to break everything down in your mind, with such a familiar face. Perhaps there is a well-known person or character, with strong features that you like, and you can use their Google images for practice. Also, look at the pose. I did best with straight-on portraits, at first, since there is already so much to think about and a 1/4 turn of the head or someone looking up or down was an unnecessary challenge. I churned out hundreds of horrifying images, when I first started portraits. I am better, now and able to get a likeness a lot of the time, but they still challenge me. Good luck!

:) Noelle

janinep7

@hblenke – Stefan Baumann is a great teacher and a great painter. I had forgotten about the proportional divider which is a great tool.

@Marialena – agree completely there is no “cutting road” here (i.e. taking a shortcut). But I rediscovered an old video tutorial I had put in my class library at Craftsy (a freebie in case anyone is interested), by Gary Faigin on (of all things), drawing better portraits and capturing a likeness. I have started watching it again and he says what you say – proportion and placement are the ways to get a likeness.

Here’s the link: https://www.craftsy.com/drawing/classes/draw-better-portraits/35153

I am rewatching it now. (I feel like I went shopping in my own closet!)

@Noelle – Thank you the Loomis suggestion. I will check it out. I think you’re right; it’s harder to paint someone you know. Hundreds of horrifying images sounds about right. I don’t know any of these people that I’m painting… They just popped in while I was working. :)

Keep the suggestions coming!!! Thanks again.

hblenkle

The proportional divider can be used to check where a person went wrong in drawing. Knowing where a person went wrong is an important step in knowing what to avoid doing or not doing to do the drawing correctly. Otherwise you could make the same mistake over and over again not knowing why. A lot of practice is important but it is nice to know way to avoid continually making mistakes. So a person can free hand draw, check for mistakes if drawing looks a little off, and know what to do to correct the mistake and what to do next time.

@Marialena – agree completely there is no “cutting road” here (i.e. taking a shortcut). But I rediscovered an old video tutorial I had put in my class library at Craftsy (a freebie in case anyone is interested), by Gary Faigin on (of all things), drawing better portraits and capturing a likeness. I have started watching it again and he says what you say – proportion and placement are the ways to get a likeness.

Here’s the link: [URL]https://www.craftsy.com/drawing/classes/draw-better-portraits/35153[/URL]

I am rewatching it now. (I feel like I went shopping in my own closet!)

Make your life easy. Start by practicing how to draw individual face features.
                                    We all see these features everyday but we don’t pay the proper attention on how they are structured. If you practice on making -let’s say – eyes for a week or so, you’ll realize how little attention you have paid on eyes as features.
                                    When you’ll figure out how individual face features are structured it will be easier for you to be able to draw them all together at the right place in order to make a realistic portrait because you will know what it has to be there.
                                    It is all about understanding the structure of a face and on which certain points you have to be very accurate. The hair or the ears are not so important for achieving likeness. The nose is less important than the eyes because the nose changes shape if you see a 3/4 profile for instance. The eye area and the area around the mouth are unmistakable. All the expressions are there.

janinep7

Actually Faigin suggests the opposite – start with the big shapes/dark and light pattern and then place the features within that structure. I think there’s no getting around the fact that lots of practice is required whether you go feature by feature or big shapes/values then smaller ones. I don’t think there is one “right way” to do it. I think it’s however you can get it. :)

Also, I was thinking it might be easier to start with a monochrome portrait and worry about doing color later. Just so I can not get too distracted by the color and focus on the likeness.

briantmeyer

I would suggest tracing at first, you just won’t be able to see the subject otherwise. A grid or precise measuring, or just holding upside down is helpful, frankly it’s just a more labor intensive version of tracing.

Those who do portraits for a living by and large do this, with a few exceptions. This will also show you the bar your portraits have to meet. If you decide to do the picture freehand, then later on take that picture and superimpose your drawing on it, it should be nearly exactly the same, the tiny details being off will make it not look like the person.

To freehand a drawing and catch a realistic portrait means you are beyond good, this is why some artists go to an atelier and practice for years, with instructors correcting even the most minor flaws in their work. Usually if you succeed requires some luck, and there is always a subject which is hard to capture ( or who has features you are not used to capturing ). The reality is this can be quite embarrassing as most people aren’t very kind about this.

The alternative is to do a caricature, which requires less skill, but at the same time you have to develop a real talent at this. You are in a way gaming the system we use to recognize other people, or you just pick out something ( like I always wear the same hat, or that Trump has funny hair ), so you can kind of sidestep the issues of capturing their specific features.

I am engaged in at least a daily practice, where I do at least one, often 5 to 6 portraits of random people I see around me. I am doing this for a couple of reasons, one I want to be good enough to catch a likeness without tracing, and second, I am pretty sure I am face blind, I am hoping to rewire my brain so I can figure out who people are. At the moment what I draw is recognizable to others even though I can’t, which still surprises me. I am pretty sure it’s going to take me another 5-6 years before I get to the point where I can do it every time, it’s still a struggle, and I will trace if I need to.

As human beings we are able to see minute differences in the appearances, using a specific portion of our brain. We intuitively recognize people. We don’t see this as something we are doing, because we take it for granted, in fact we are not even seeing people, but the brain generated idea of that person. We literally think what we see more than we see others. I personally can’t even tell if I’ve caught a likeness since that system is broken. The devil is in the details, and I can’t intuit that I got it close, I got to get the details all right, its kind of like I am always seeing upside down.

But the problem is that others looking at your picture can see those flaws even if you can’t, they have a brain designed to recognize people they know. They won’t know why it’s off, but they will instantly notice that.

Further we tend to exaggerate minute differences, I have learned that the basic proportions are almost never violated – a persons eyes are almost always where those rules say they are, but I see everyone as an exception, he has big ears, or eyes are really wide, or this or that, and it’s an illusion which I think is there to help us note what people look like. Learn the proportions, and if you think the person is different, measure it out carefully, 99% of the time you will find that their features are exactly where the proportions predict. ( Watch the Steve Huston Video to see what those proportions are, the actual ones are a little bit different than what you see in most books )

Also people tend to be slightly asymmetrical, one of my eyes is lower than the other, but this is really subtle and it makes people look worse. We don’t register this. Again if you think you see this, measure it out, its usually very very subtle, usually not enough to even be worth noting in your drawing. It is usually better to just ignore this and make them look nicer.

As you get better at drawing, the idea is to start with a gesture, then work that up into structure. That is akin to working big to small, but the problem is that you will have a lot of trouble not getting lost without the little landmarks. I would suggest assuming every detail is important, assume it’s photo-realism, than as you practice doing portraits you will naturally simplify your subjects into what is in effect, your own style. This is something I have noticed with every series I’ve done, I start being very true to life, but as I go on I learn a short hand which says the same things.

In other words you kind of have to start with the trees before you can handle the forest.

After you get really good, then you start adjusting and distorting the face and figure to make it more interesting. This has to do with “energetic lines” and composition. You can also kind of start to see a persons face in 3d, and rotate their features as you need to. I’ve heard taking some time to learn sculpting can also help a great deal.

None of this deals with watercolor, which adds a whole other level to this. I think the best Advice I can give is when you do a wash, you are dropping in color and value, remember that a dry brush can lift up this paint you just dropped in, thus letting you control precise shapes and also soften the edges.

janinep7

I would never trace under any circumstances; I’d rather work towards being “beyond good” and you don’t get there by tracing or gridding. To me tracing is an act of desperation. I know others don’t see it that way and the purpose is not to start that discussion again. I don’t agree with you that there is no middle ground for being able to depict a likeness. I’m not interested in being a professional portrait artist; just a happy hobbyist. I can get a likeness w/out tracing. I can even get a likeness w/out a drawing… just not on this one particular subject who happens to be my husband. So no one has yet suggested what are good subjects to practice on… obviously not husbands! Old movie star photos? Presidents? Statues? Self-portraits? What do you all use?

w/c nana8

Funny you should be asking about portraits and likenesses. I did a portrait in art class in a looser style than I’m comfortable with, but it challenged me to practice and attempt more on my own. At the same time I watched a YouTube video by Janet Rogers. One of her statements that resonated with me was not to show the subjects their portraits–the resemblance may not be apparent. I have drawn and painted several of my grandkids, and boy, did I learn a lot. I think Marialena’s suggestion about practicing eyes is spot on–for me, not the shape, but what direction they are looking. Thanks for this thread, Janine, as well as the many suggestions. Always something to be learned and mastered (if ever!)

'We are too prone to engrave our trials on marble, and write our blessings in sand.' ~ Spurgeon
                                                    C&C appreciated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.