Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Is it possible to substitute one Prismacolor pencil with another?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Darina

I have some formulas where Black grape Nr. 996 is used. At the same time I am going to buy 72 colored pencils set where this very color is not present. Is it possible to use some color available in 72 pencil set in a similar range to match Black grape in the sets of more colors?

brissie

I don’t use Prismacolor any more as their quality is awful since being made in Mexico but as you do why not just buy the loose stock of the black grape or any other colour that you want.

Darina

I don’t use Prismacolor any more as their quality is awful since being made in Mexico but as you do why not just buy the loose stock of the black grape or any other colour that you want.

Which brand do you use then? And do you use blending pencil or use white to blend?

TessDB

Hi, Darina–
                    Many folks are migrating to other brands than prismas… FaberCastell Polychromos are a popular choice. But most of the tutorials & books about cp’s use Prismas. Translating the prisma pencil to something comparable in another brand is hard. There’s hardly ever a direct correlation. If you are new to drawing &/or working in color, this is a level of complication that may be a tough hurdle to get over.

It’s true there have been lots of complaints about the quality of prismas. Here’s the thing: you can start with prismas, then add in pencils from other brands. It’s ok to mix and match within the same piece. You don’t have to stick to just one brand/type of pencil.

With that being said, if you purchase the prisma set, I strongly suggest getting black grape from open stock to go with it (and while you’re at it, grab a black cherry, a couple of extra whites, and a sepia). You’re going to want a source for open stock pencils anyway. You’ll use some pencils faster than others. And you won’t want to buy a set every time you need to replace one.

Through layering, you can mix pencils together to get to something very similar to black grape. But if you’re following a tutorial, that can be tough. Especially if you just need to use it in a light layer to darken a shadow…

And do you use blending pencil or use white to blend?

There are a kajillion ways to blend. White or a blending pencil are one way. A piece of paper towel or a cotton ball is another. Or a stiff bristle brush. Or one of the solvents… Or just pile on the layers!

Hope this helps!
                    Rosemary

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Rosemary (aka Tess) - [/color]
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]How does she do that??? Find out here:[/color] Celtic Art 101

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
                    [/left]

Shirl Parker

Excellent advice, Rosemary. :thumbsup:

Shirl
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/shirlrparker/myart
                        “Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.” - The Puppy Zone

Dairymoover

Just my two cents as a begginer with cp.
                            I bought Polychromos pencils because of the quality issues I had heard about regarding Primas. But doing an on line tutorial that uses Prismas was both frustrating and liberating.
                            Frustrating because I didnt have the colors specified. Liberating because, the point is to LEARN, not paint by formula. I am forced to look past color matching to matching value and truely consider the color warmth and intensity as related to by subject. Although my finished work is not a color match, Im gaining skill and color awareness.
                            Having said all of that, I too find it easier to follow the lesson with the materials given. I find it difficult to translate some lessons by eye alone. This is all about experience. For the short term buying specific colors from open stock will offer a measure of comfort and, if you can, repeat the exercise without the specified color.

latedrawer

An Australian colored pencil artist, Karen Hull, has “Coloured Pencil Conversion and Colour Reference Charts” in PDF files you can buy for about $10 and download immediately. The conversion charts give guidelines for similar colors in four brands (with pencil numbers): Prismacolor Premier, Faber Castell Polychromos, Derwent Artists and Caran D’Ache Pablos. Her website is http://www.miniatureartbykhull.com or you can google her.

I have used her charts to help me make substitutions when following tutorials by Ann Kulberg or Wet Canvas members.

Janie Gildow’s tutorials give color choices for prismas, polychromos, and pablos. She makes the point you can use prismas for your first layers and layer over those with pencils that are more lightfast. Google her to find her website, DVDs and YouTube videos if you’re interested.

Current issues with Prismacolor Primier seems to be off-center cores and splitting wood shafts, especially when you buy them in sets. If you buy them open stock from a local art supply store, you can check to make sure the core is centered and the pencil shafts are straight (not bowed).

Whatever you decide, enjoy your journey:wave:

Carole
                                Comments and critiques are welcomed.
                                Fuchur

I’d just pick a colour that looks similar to this Black Grape :)

the point is to LEARN, not paint by formula.

That’s exactly what I wanted to add :) We don’t have Prismacolor here in Germany, so following a tutorial by formula was never an option for me. Which was good. Now I have my own unique colouring and with each piece I learn more about how to do things better and which combinations work well for me. After all, I believe everyone wants to develop their own style eventually and not getting used to copying will speed this process up. I think :)

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
                                    That perches in the soul -
                                    And sings the tune without the words -
                                    And never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.