Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Newbie tube problems

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Theseanna

Hi all,
        I’m a new member on this site. I recently had to give up my first love of golf due to ongoing back problems. I’ve always had a interest in art. I’m the kinda person who goes all in to something when I decide I’m gonna get into it. So when I sold all my golf stuff I went into this 110 percent. I enjoy drawing so I have a ton of sketch books,pencils,pens,and copics plus colored pencils. As far as watercolor, lol I went insane. I have sets of Sennlier, M graham, Daniel Smith, Schminkle, Qor, and Holbein. Probably more but that’s all that comes to mind.
        Ok enough of that here’s my problem. I love pan sets. No issues all great. Just got Qor pan set, incredible and just arrived yesterday Holbein Palm box of 36 pans also fabulous. All the pan sets I have I love.
        With tube sets when I fill half pans or palettes it’s never the same as when manufacturers do it. For example the Holbein palm box has 36 half pans but has space for 9 more pans. So I was looking at the missing colors available in half pans and I have almost all of them in my Holbein 60 count tube set. I wanna save the 100 dollars and use what I have instead of buying ready made pans but I know from my experience I’m not gonna be happy. My biggest disappointment was the Daniel Smith tubes. Perfect the day I put in pallet but when I came back to them a few weeks later they sucked. Would not reactivate with water and was very discouraging. Now on other hand with all my tubes the only one that has worked great is the M Graham’s. Rewet perfectly and preform perfectly.
        But I’m curious what do manufacturers do differently when they pour pans that I’m missing.
        Thxs for the help guys

virgil carter

Well…first of all watercolor manufacturers use either honey or cheaper corn syrup as wetting agents for their watercolors. This effects the drying effect of paints in palettes and/or in pallet wells.

Second, watercolor paints can always be rehydrated by spritzing each pan or palette well and waiting for 5-10 minutes before painting. Even dried tube can be reactivated by cutting them open, placing the dried paint in a paint well, spritzing and waiting 5-10 minutes.

Third, like a great many new watercolor painters you are collecting many more paints than you will need or use. It’s fun to buy lots and lots of paint colors, but, with experience, you will learn the universal lesson that one really doesn’t need all these paints. But they are fun to investigate and collect.

Fourth, with the exception of W&N, all the major recognized paint manufacturers who make both tube and pan paints report that their paints are identical, regardless of whether they are manufactured in pan or in tubes.

Welcome to the whacky world of watercolor. It’s a lifetime of fun!

Sling paint,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

KolinskyRed

Interesting. I had a three palette trays set aside un-used for over three years. All the WN were great. The one well with MGraham was a mountain of fuzzy mold.

Yes, I concur about the re-wetting, perhaps even spritz the night before, or a few hours before – try longer times – of course, closing the cover again.

indraneel

Add glycerin, like WN does. Honey/corn syrup/sugar…. is a sure shot recipe for mold. You may not have seen the mold yet, but if if it gets humid long enough, it [em]will[/em] strike, zero exceptions.

Theseanna

Thxs guys for the replies. I do spritz them and even have used a medicine dropper. But I haven’t waited as long as you guys suggested. I will definitely try that.

Watercollar

Welcome to the forum!
                            Glycerin (or Glycerol) is sold in farmacies and is very cheap. You may also want to get a pipette if you don’t have one and use only with glycerine.
                            Add 1 drop per full pan of Organic Pigment paint and 2 drops for Inorganic Pigments (paint fresh from the tube not already dried). Let dry for at least 48h before use.

Most brands add it to their formulation but as it seems, quite insufficiently.
                            Honey based paints like M Graham don’t need glycerine – they will always reactivate well.

Sebastian.

(C&C Welcomed.)

Kaylen

Its already been answered , all the answers above are good information,,I personally squeeze my tube paint into oversize pans and add a few drops of glycerin and stir with a tooth pick or something similar,,,, I have magnets on the bottom of my pans and though I have a large collection of colors as well, I just carefully select a half dozen or so for any given painting,,,
                                some colors dry out and turn to stone more than others , so you will use less glycerin in some than in others,
                                That is also true brand to brand,,,I dont know qor paints , but in general earth colors dry out more than some others and M gram paints dont need any glycerin ,,,
                                it is true what virgil about having perhaps more colors than you will need ,it does no harm to have them, keep educating yourself, and keep painting,
                                for the record my experience with this subject is limited , but you came to the right place,,,there are a lot of members here and the collected knowledge is immense,,,welcom to the forum , I look forward to seeing some of your work

Kaylen Savoie
                                https://www.savoieartist.com/
                                At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

oldey

Theseanna – What they said on the water and glycerin! Otherwise just use your MG paints if those are the ones you prefer. Either are quality paints.
                                    Welcome to the group!

Kaylen- you are so organized!

Theseanna

Thxs so much for the help

virgil carter

Keep in mind that honey-based paints all act like honey acts.

So keep your palette level at all times, and never leave it in a sunny window, or packed in a back pack in the trunk of your car in the summer.

Sling paint,
                                            Virgil

Sling paint,
                                            Virgil Carter
                                            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

… nor open to an incursion of bees, ants, or roaches …

-----
                                            Certified Closet Management Engineer, Slung Watercolor Society of America

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.