Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity The tyranny of the masses (even in art)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Use Her Name

Wow! I sent an e-mail to a fellow artist that I met through a group that I belong to. We spent a long time talking about the art scene in the area, and he was receptive to doing some critiques of some of my pieces. I sent an e-mail with photos of 2 of my pieces, and what I got a few day later really floored me. He gave me some e-mail links to the work of 2 artists and said that I should make my work more like theirs. He did not say a single thing about my pieces, nor did he make the specific suggestions I asked about. I closed the e-mail thinking that the style that I have worked on developing for 8 years was just not interesting to him and that he thought I should study and emulate these other artists whose work was totally different than mine. So that means my work is not good? Where’s all that hot air about artist all having their own style? Do your own thing? Develop in your own way? I think a lot of the stuff that I believe is actually true. It is a competition to be more like one guy out there (whoever that is). Was I ever let down.

I am used to critiques, not some person handing me a picture file with the suggestion to “do your work like this guy.” Well, then it is not my work.

I am calming down little by little.

The real difference is that my work is more the equivalent of “pre-Raphielite”
        compared to the blobby excentricities of the work he gave me to look at. I’ll admit, it is good work, but it is not “my” work, (strangely enough, my work is more like another artist I met in the group who sells more than this guy) and here is where the problem is. I have seen a lot of this. One person gets a lot of pats on the head and maybe awards and/or money and everyone gets in line and tries to be like that person. They become lesser mimics of “the great artist” and are happy to receive a pinch of adulation or admiration if any is left over. Well, that person could have developed and stuck with his or her own style, patterns, poses, outlook, and that person may have been the one receiving real attention for bucking the trend that so captivated the majority of also-ran artists.

Being yourself is important in art. I have tried to tell people this and apply it to myself. People who follow the pack are really not participating in art at all. That is at the heart of this question many people here on WC ask: Is copying a photograph really art? (Things like that). When you fall into a nice style that you really feel is your own, you stop “copying other people’s stuff” and start doing your own artwork (irregardless of source material/style), but to have a professional (an actual money making fine artist with a large studio) give this lame advice to “copy the work of someone else,” why it really strikes a nerve.

Has anyone experienced similar disappointment? Wow. Wow. I actually have decided not to ask the guys advice anymore. It’s probably a bad idea.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

La_

hrm … the bottom line of all that, to me, is: that fella sucks at giving critique, apparently.
            unless there’s some fantastic glimmer of brilliance in the in between spaces of your and the proposed emulatees work.

i’d be hard pressed to critique ‘blobby excentricities’, but wonder if your critiquer meant blob shape? color? thickness? looseness? tightness? if no specifics were offered, well, the critique sucks.

disappointments, hahahaha, often, regularly, ‘people’ are often too ‘normal’ to appreciate let alone understand finer details/subtleties/obscurities in non [blatant] reality. still, for my own sanity, i’m happy to remain an outsider, swerving about in my gravel lane, vs joining the massive flock of normals who are generally stuck in traffic.

dance to your own tune :music::thumbsup:

la

stlukesguild

With your level of experience you should know to take any and all criticism with a large grain of salt. If a particular criticism or suggestion makes sense to you seriously consider it. If not… ignore it. Of course negative criticism can still hurt or rattle our self confidence. Isn’t that what we’ve been discussing over on that thread concerning art school critiques?

I have a studio mate who is older than me and more experienced than me… but he is really set in his way and will argue that anything that he particularly doesn’t like can’t be any good. He taught for years in the same large school district as I. I can’t tell you how many times he had his students churning out copies of his own art… little “mini mes”. His suggestions to me are frequently ridiculous. I paint large semi-realistic figurative paintings with highly patterned… decorative… backgrounds. He repeatedly suggests I cut the works up (that take 100-200 hours of labor) and reassemble them as collage… or scrawl a word in German across the entire painting in black ink… because those are techniques he employs… not because such would make any sense in my work. I get far more input of worth from my younger studio-mate who has far less experience than me. He’s only been seriously painting for perhaps four years… but he is open to a broad range of ideas and styles… even if they are not to his personal taste. He also makes suggestions in the form of questions: “Why did you do this? Have you ever thought about trying this?”

Some years back… perhaps a short while after graduating art school… I was working on my latest painting with visions of what the result would look like based upon the works of my favorite artists of the time. At a certain point I found myself thinking, “Crap! This looks like just another painting like I would make.” I was depressed that my work looked like my work. It then dawned on me that this was what we all were striving for. For better of worse my work looks like my work. Yes, there are elements in it absorbed from other artists… but these have largely been digested to the point that I have made them my own.

Returning to the thread on critiques offered by art school teachers… the only critiques I found without any merit were those in which the teacher suggested I SHOULD be doing something different from what I was doing. I had a teacher who kept pushing me to paint abstracts when I was a figurative painter. Certainly, you can learn from trying a broad array of styles and techniques but after a certain amount of time… when a student has a vision that he or she is exploring… the role of the teacher is to challenge the student, question him or her, but most of all, aid him or her in better achieving that goal/vision.

There are artists I greatly admire… perhaps even revere. I might wish that I could paint like them… that I had their skills… but I wouldn’t want to paint like them or copy them.

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

stlukesguild

I had critiques that left me baffled at the time. I remember one professor telling me to go look at Jules Olitski:

Here I was… a student striving toward a good degree of realism and this guy tells me to check out this? I’m thinking WTF? But I looked and looked and found myself intrigued with the composition in which the “focal point” was shoved off to the side with a vast area of “nothing”. And I did learn from this.

I learned from being forced as a first and second year student to paint abstractions. I learned a lot about paint manipulation, composition, and the reality that all art is abstract.

Now I have the habit at looking at everything… a broad array of images… comics, photographs, illustrations, fashion design, films, architecture, furniture design, etc… One of my most recent paintings was partially inspired by a medieval clock design.

The point of Art Education should be to broaden your thinking and possibilities… not to force you to abandon your artistic passions. When you are given an assignment far removed from your artistic passions this is a single lesson… you are not being forced into rejecting your own vision and doing this for the rest of your life.

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                    "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

Use Her Name

Great answers. I try to set up my questions so that they might appeal to a broad amount of people who may have had the same problem.

I also have been searching for ways to describe sculpture (not painting). I know many are the same. “Lumpy” might refer to some kind of impressionist/abstract brush strokes.

And I will agree with LA, he is not very good at critiques.

I remember early on when I began painting–I must have been 20 or so, I walked into a gallery on our main street/high rent area and saw some really lovely abstracts in a window.

I started talking to the gallery owner and sure enough, they were all his. He was from Russia and his accent impressed me all the more because the work resembled Kandinsky just a little and I was really into it.

I asked if he would look at my work, as I was just trying my hand at abstracts then. Of course I would have loved to be in his gallery one day, but I didn’t wish too hard; I just wanted his critique, much of which has stayed with me forever, both the useful stuff and the not so useful stuff that only became sort of insecurities later on and have since been contradicted by other crits by other experienced artists.

He told me to try painting bigger and to do a few and bring them back and he would offer his opinion, which I did a couple weeks later. He gave me a lot more crit and then told me I needed a lot of instruction and offered to help me. He said he would possibly hang a couple of my pieces in the back room if I got good enough.

I went back a couple days later and he set me up in the back patio and had me copy one of his paintings and of course I couldn’t do it. I could do something that resembled the composition, but no way could I copy his techniques, especially with the media he gave me to use. I was such a novice at abstracts too.

This is when he started to tell me how I needed to start copying all of his works before I could get any better. I had to copy them in chronological order. He wanted to charge me for lessons to copy his work. I was so naive then because I was searching for the money to study with him.

At the time, I was cultivating another relationship with another painter who wound up being a mentor to me–but he never gave me actual painting instruction. He was always about theory and process, keeping true to the work and my voice. He got me to see that this other guy was a big ego maniac. The new mentor would guide me when I made work that seemed off base/out of character and this helped immensely, for free.

picassolite

Sharing your experience is going to get a lot of artists riled up.

Not because it is a negative experience (which it is) … but because a lot of artists would like to put those negative experiences behind them.

Consider the Olympic High Jump – since the Greeks – Early jumpers either approached the bar straight on or used a scissors technique, in which
                            the bar is approached diagonally and the jumper throws both legs over the bar in a scissoring motion.

Then along comes Fosbury.

What could contemporary jumpers tell Fosbury about the High Jump… nothing!

It is similar in art.

As I see it … you were seeking a confirmation about your work from a fellow artist. WRONG.

In the high stakes world of art … every artist is potentially … your competitor.

Some are just more blatant about it than others.

But for a moment … let’s just suppose your ‘friend’ meant well. In that case – what could possibly have been his motivation?

I’m guessing (because I don’t know for sure) … his suggestions represent a style that he suspects … sells.

On the other hand … just maybe he saw something original in your work … and he didn’t want to offer you praise.

But never dismiss … the outlier … maybe he just didn’t get it!

Somewhere between these 3 extremes … lies the truth.

So what’s the suggested remedy
                            … just like the prior commentators have suggested ~

Have 2 mason jars on your desk … one labeled – praise, the other labeled – dismiss.

DISMISS may runneth over … but do you care? You shouldn’t.

Having said that … let’s consider Jackson Pollock.

His form of abstraction divided the critics: some praised the immediacy and fluency of the creation, while others derided the random effects.

What most don’t know is … Pollock was one of the few artists at the time who hired an art rep to ‘push’ his paintings.

So … all I’m saying is … when you ask for a critique … be prepared that it may – or may not … be what you were hoping for.

Best regards,
                            Picassolite :thumbsup:

PS – Keep in mind what Orson Wells said …
                            “First comes the artist, then comes the afterbirth ~ the critic.”

Use Her Name

Thanks, Artyczar, and picassolite. After wading through a period of depression for a few weeks, I came to pretty much the same solutions– I will never know. I was hoping that I was not correct because my own experiences and the “advice” I generally give new artists is that art is a cut-throat business. I have had my share of throat cutting, as well as my share of people who think my work is marvelous just the way it is. The sad truth is that art is filled with a lot of narcissistic, self-centered people who are filled with judgments and think themselves better than others.

This is NOT to be construed as a bad thing especially. An artist NEEDS to be a showman, shameless (in many cases), and have a high level of self-confidence. An artist MUST be a person who can self-reflect, adapt, and work without the support of a team.

That said, this has reminded me to:

Keep humble
                                Believe in my self
                                Never expect others to give me the answers I want
                                Stop being so disappointed when people do not like my work

And also the negative lesson learned– just don’t share, treat everyone as a competitor (etc). I think what punched me in the gut most was that I had dreamed of this all my life (being in the presence of notable professionals) only to learn that people do not drop their childish ways. People learn nothing.

I am sure my moral outrage is boring.

The good news is that after several weeks of depression over this, I am back to finishing my work, and getting some new pieces started.

DaveCrow

A critique that just says “go look at this other artist” and nothing more is not much of a critique.

A critique that says “Go look at this other artist for the way she handles XYZ” is useful.

It sounds like this artist is not very good at critique. Especially disappointing is that he ignored your specific questions.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Yeah, it sounded like this artist was kind of a creep, or at least they way he handled giving you feedback. I wouldn’t even call this a “critique.” It was just idiotic. Sometimes people aren’t thinking when they say stuff.

Today, I’ll tell you, I had a breakdown because of a couple of people that said stuff to me and I really let it get to me. My partner kept telling me that it had nothing to do with ME and it was totally something that was on THEM. But I couldn’t help it. I took it so personally and to heart, like they were treating me like dirt, or that it had something to do with me in some way, like I inherently sucked.

It took me a while (and I’m still working on it) to see that people’s oversights are just their own spacey inconsiderations, but are mostly just things that they aren’t intending to be malicious (usually). Sometimes, however, it seems they might as well be if they can’t concern themselves with giving some respect! But I hear you! I really do!

That really strikes a chord with me, Arty! I struggle with letting go of negative comments about my art- and I do take it personally.

I try to work past the comments by telling myself that I only take note of those with better skills at painting than me. It works sometimes!

Because I paint portraits and take on a lot of commissions, I need to stay vulnerable and open to the communication and story-telling that the process needs to be successful. This also opens me to any less-than-positive-comments that may come my way.

So- right back at you- I hear you!

bethany
                                    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                                    website www.bethanyart.com
                                    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

I am sure my moral outrage is boring.

The good news is that after several weeks of depression over this, I am back to finishing my work, and getting some new pieces started.

I should have acknowledged the fact that you are back to work. That is great news! I think I maybe getting antsy to work again after having to work on a commission proposal that just got rejected. I actually despised working on it all the way through and it made me never want to take on a commission like that again. I learned quite a bit though, so it wasn’t all for not.

And your moral outrage is NOT boring! No one has more moral outrage than me. Maybe it doesn’t seem like it on the forums, but I’m a pretty rage-infested person when it comes to injustices. There’s really nothing else that can get me more worked up than that. It’s not that I think life should be “fair.” Not at all, in fact, it isn’t and I don’t even understand when people have the idea it should be. I mean in the case when people flippantly say things are not fair. Injustice is different in my eyes. Human decency is something all together different. Getting basic needs met, equal rights. That sort of thing. I don’t know this guy that had this bad effect on you. I’d like to give him some benefit of the doubt and say he was just not thinking, but if he was patronizing you, I stand by my comment that he is just a creep. You and your work are too important to let some creep like that impede on your progress.

Use Her Name

but if he was patronizing you, I stand by my comment that he is just a creep. You and your work are too important to let some creep like that impede on your progress.

Thanks, I have 4-5 specific things I am mad about– but it takes some reflection. I am really sick of the “micro gaslighting” that happens in life. “Why do you feel that way,” no one in their right mind would feel that way. It is like cultural behavior modification. Hence the title of this post. Your work does not look “correct,” here, allow me to send you links to pictures of stuff that is done the way “it is supposed to look.” —And then I am like: So where is the big difference in what I am doing and what they are doing? Why do I need to get my behavior modified?

I think at times you (a person who studies art) needs to remember where it was prior to the impressionists. The Salon, and the French government having control over what “good art” was. It really strikes me as similar in an odd way. You are “good” if your work looks like these other artists– there is a trend towards homogeneity. It goes beyond “genres” I think. And of course other artists do things in non-conforming styles but to get into the “good” shows, you must be seen as a conforming artist. And of course, the artist who can’t get in goes on a search of what they are doing wrong all based on the “precedent” of work that has been previously done. But after a while, you are like: Well I have done this, similar to X, and this, similar to Y, and pretty soon each part of your stuff is tied to some past artist and your own “genius” is pushed further into the background. And then they turn on you and call you a conformist, or untrue, or a copycat.

The thing that really sucks the wind out is that I am a conforming artist, and my work looks very similar in many respects to his work and the work that he sent me to look at. I was clicking on these sites, asking myself–“what is the difference?” Is this all about him, not liking the way his own work ends? Am I Galatea?

A second ago, I was thinking that it was like both of you having a fish tank, both seem the same, and yet the fish in your tank were dying and the fish in the other tank were happy and thriving, and it was about invisible intangibles like bacteria– things you can’t see. So all a person like me can do is pick out the differences, and what they are are demographic conditions, the fact that I am poor so I can’t throw money at this like they do, and the fact that they are good old boy buddies and I am “some girl.” This actually makes me feel a bit victimized. Way back in 1984, the same went on. I could not break into the art world because of resources and gender. About the only way was to become an art professor (but even that is a good old boy’s network). So maybe this is a mini glass ceiling.

Too many words. Sorry.

Not too many words.

Gaslighting, is micro gaslighting. That is what it is at its essence. That thing you can never really put your finger on with absolute certainty or with blatant evidence that you’re being mind-screwed by someone. I have been messed with in this way so many times, I can’t tell you. Being a female, I think it happens to us more often when competing in a male-dominant profession. People may say that it’s all gotten better, and I suppose it has, but in the minds of some men, it remains the same, and for some women it’s been too much water under the bridge already.

I started off as a professional female drummer in an atmosphere where I knew not one other. I think Shelia E was just becoming known, and even she wasn’t getting any real respect as a “real” drummer yet. I remember midway through starting out and getting playing jobs, I went to see her in concert with Prince. She played her butt off while singing, standing occasionally at the drumset, leaving it and dancing around on the stage, jumping up and down, going back and playing and doing several solos throughout the night, all in high heels and a skimpy outfit, and there was no such thing as an intermission. I was exhausted just watching and I was still in my 20s. I realized then that I couldn’t just be among the “good.” I had to run circles around the boys, and even then I probably wouldn’t be taken seriously, and it was rare when I was. I can’t tell you the remarks, the gaslighting, the squelching, and on it went into my golden years up to when I had to retire.

After that, all I heard was how great I “was.”

But I digress.

I’ve also heard almost everything working as an artist, too. I do believe that there is more jealousy among artists than musicians now that I’ve lived in both worlds. Maybe I was set up to endure the art world because of so many years in the music business, but I will never get used to how insidious other artists can be about their issues and how they (even if subconsciously) push their insecurities on their fellow artists. There’s also more room for interpretation in art, and it still happens. I don’t understand the lack of camaraderie and respect (at times).

You have every right to all of your feelings. I only meant..I only wanted to remind you of your importance. Sometimes in a male-dominant situation–at least having dealt with that in more years than not, it seems like their work has held a lot more importance than ours and it’s only too bad since our voices have so many dynamic elements…we are just as important and, much of the time, we have more to bring to the art world than anyone else.

picassolite

“Am I Galatea?”

Only … if you chose to be. The choice is yours. Or you can choose another identity. Actors do it all the time.

Well … how can I ‘pump you up?’

Let’s clarify something … what the ‘masses’ want is called the ‘marketplace.’ The Tyranny comes in when a few recognize that market
                                            and then tell the artist to cater to it.

That was the old world when there were only 3 networks and the advertisers controlled what hit the airwaves.

But today … the multiplicity of channels indicates the ‘mass market’ is more segmented than anybody could have imagined.

To wit – there is a market for what you do. Now to get yourself in sync with your market. It starts with your ‘head-space’ and your clarity of thinking.

Not an easy task.

If you’ve been butting your head against a wall … maybe it’s time to change neighborhoods.

So … moving forward –

To paraphrase a line from … House of Cards –

“If you don’t like what’s happening at the table … then kick the table over.”

What a lot of artists have continual consternation over is … ‘recognizing’ that this is the way it has always been in the ‘art game.’

I find this to be evident with both the female and the male artists I encounter.

Let’s be clear … to ‘recognize’ is not the same as ‘accepting.’

There is always a fork in the road of life.

“Do not go gentle into that good night, rage against the dying of the light.” – Dylan Thomas.

Because art is practiced by humans … and we know how fickle humans are. Don’t we?

Consider … what is the history of humans … WAR.

Who’s on top and who is not!

The art world is a series of interconnecting social circles… practicing social War.

Sometimes you’re in and most times … you’re not.

In the Bible it says the goal is for ‘the lion to lay down with the lamb.’

Well – that’s great if you’re the lion … but it’s very problematic … if you’re the lamb.

It’s 2019 – and women’s soccer is kicking butt … in attendance, championships, name recognition and ~
                                            the women are still being paid 38 cents to the men’s $1.00.

However – we are missing the LIFE picture.

In the men’s game … it is gladitorial. To become a star in the men’s game is a fight to the death.

After all … WW1 was a family fight … among male cousins.

And they used the world as a stage… and every body’s children … as pawns.

The NBA has a phrase … ‘it’s a make or miss league.’ Or …’win or go home.’

And this is also true in the WNBA.

So – what am I saying to bolster your ego?

It’s all the song … GO YOUR OWN WAY[/URL]

People are who they are ~ or who they choose to be –

Lady Day became so depressed while touring with Arty Shaw through the south … it led to her lifelong heroin addiction.

Not so with Josephine Baker … she said to herself – ‘later with this s*’ and she sailed away … into stardom.

The eternal life question has always been … do you have the inner strength … to just be – you?

No matter what … one day at a time … minute by minute … hour by hour.

You are not the first human to take a swipe at the apple and miss. Big League baseball players ‘wiff’ 7 to 8 times out of 10.
                                            And they still make a good living. Except for those in the minors. They don’t do so well. But art talent is very different.

Art talent … gives you a license to print money.

You just have to choose the right neighborhood … for what you do.

As Aristotle said – ‘The future is not in our stars… it is in us.’

In this case … YOU.

Best regards,
                                            Picassolite :thumbsup:

PS –
                                            Norman Rockwell was ‘dissed’ by the fine art world during his whole career – and it pissed him off.

But it did not stop him from earning a million dollars a year for almost 20 years!

Disney literally broke his back after a fall – ingratiating himself into high society – by playing polo.

Gertrude Bell was dissed by the upper echelons of British intelligence – but if not for her –
                                            Lawrence of Arabia would never have happened.

The opening dialogue says it all in the movie – Queen of the Desert[/URL]

How long did it take for Hidden Figures[/URL] to emerge into the light of day?

To paraphrase from Star Wars … ‘there is no try … there’s just ‘do.’

it’s in the doing – that you will find peace, joy and success ~

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.