Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity The Pell – a notebook for my thoughts and schemes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

When I work on almost any project I keep a notebook handy to write anything that pops into my head about what I’m working on. Notes, ideas, measurements, schematics – it has all my discoveries that I took the time to write down. I’ve had many volumes but they are all called the “Pell” (for short – but that’s another story).

I knew I wanted to remember this thought about creativity that I had last night and share it here, so I wrote it in the Pell.

When you really like a feature in your artwork but somehow it gets lost or changed as you work – maybe you tried to accentuate or make it “better” – but something gets lost and you try and try to recapture the original thing you liked so much but you get further and further from it and it’s gone; when that has happened, I experience a profound sense of loss that just can’t be described.

hmshood5

Happens to me quite a bit. It comes out so beautifully when I create something “accidentally”, but it’s almost impossible to replicate.😥

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
            www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

I personally use the bullet journal method, as it literally keeps me sane and on top of things :lol:

Journaling as a therapy is an often overlooked way of dealing with our day to day, but scrapbooks, sketchbooks, and bullet journal layouts are visual representations of what’s going on inside our brains. They serve as the blueprint of our everyday lives. I use it to track my sleep, my everyday thoughts, my work progress, my art ideas, etc. :)

Mike L

OK, I’ll bite. What’s Pell as it relates to journaling? A brand? System? All I come up with from’net searches are Pell educational grants.

reginareyesart – your fist link is to a therapy page and the second one doesn’t link to anything. Another WC glitch?

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

DK4242

I’ve kept an intermittent diary for many years now. I don’t put daily entries in it by any stretch. Times between entries vary from day to weeks. My diary is me, I guess, documenting certain aspects of my life. We just lost our Lab a couple of weeks ago and I find myself, basically writing to myself about her. And looking back through it, I find a lot of these types of entries along with my thoughts on various things.

I tend to think of journals as being more subject oriented. For example, I’ve kept a work log for years. It’s come in very handy many, many times. So much so that co-workers will directly ask me what I have in my log about something since they know I keep it up each and every day. To do lists, reminders, task lists, etc. Likewise I have project journals I use to document the woodworking stuff I do, along with my art journal where I document ideas, paintings and thoughts on past and current art projects.

To the OP, are you using Pell in terms of the dictionary definition as “parchment, skin, vellum, etc. or does the word have some different meaning for you?

I’d like to know what Pell means too. And I like this thread. I also get sad chasing after those happy accidents, but I try to tell myself that one is bound to happen again just around the corner. They always do eventually.

I keep two books. One I’ve talked about here before and is a formal, strict practice I call the Eye-book which helps me to tap into my raw imagination, the other is a small moleskin notebook that captures everything else organically like what you’re doing. I mostly keep that one by my bed because I get a lot of kooky ideas when I’m half asleep. But I’ll often carry it with me and scribble ideas, thoughts, notes, etc.

I just now looked in it and the last couple things in there is a drawing of a cake stand (kind of like one of those pretzel/hot dog vendors in NYC) and a long list of complaints about my personality I’d like to change.

Mike L

I’d like to know what Pell means too.

I did some more poking around the ‘net using variations and found this. OP could be referring to Pelle brand notebooks. They were a leather-bound notebook with linen paper (for use, primarily, with fountain pens) pages, and are no longer produced in the U.S.

There are, however, many similar high-quality journals available. Although not leather-bound, I like the pocket size Moleskine brand.

MarcF

Originally Posted by Artyczar
                            I’d like to know what Pell means too.

Ah.
                            The origin of The Pell.
                            It’s a bit of a twisted – but true – tale. If you choose to bail at any point, I don’t blame you.

I have an unusual tendency to give many things and people nicknames- I often don’t share with them. I might share it with others.
                            I was an electromechanical designer on a drawing board for an aerospace company on Long Island in the 1980’s. I worked closely with another designer with whom I’m still in contact (Djim).
                            So, there was a supervisor named Ralph Bunker.
                            Ralph Bunker had a notebook with drafting and design standards for the company. We (Djim and I) referred to that notebook as The Gospel when we wanted a drafting question answered.
                            Ralph Bunker became Moss Bunker (a fish found around Long Island) and then just Moss for short.
                            The Gospel became the Moss Gospel.
                            The Moss Gospel became the Mossgoss Pell because I even make nicknames of my nicknames- changing the pronunciation or Spoonerizing it.
                            The Mossgoss Pell became the Pell for short. I still call any reference notebook I’m keeping – with standards, measurements etc, The Pell. I also still communicate with Djim (his nickname).
                            There.
                            Simple.
                            Surprised nobody came up with it on their own.:)

Ah.
                            The origin of The Pell.
                            It’s a bit of a twisted – but true – tale. If you choose to bail at any point, I don’t blame you.

I have an unusual tendency to give many things and people nicknames- I often don’t share with them. I might share it with others.
                            I was an electromechanical designer on a drawing board for an aerospace company on Long Island in the 1980’s. I worked closely with another designer with whom I’m still in contact (Djim).
                            So, there was a supervisor named Ralph Bunker.
                            Ralph Bunker had a notebook with drafting and design standards for the company. We (Djim and I) referred to that notebook as The Gospel when we wanted a drafting question answered.
                            Ralph Bunker became Moss Bunker (a fish found around Long Island) and then just Moss for short.
                            The Gospel became the Moss Gospel.
                            The Moss Gospel became the Mossgoss Pell because I even make nicknames of my nicknames- changing the pronunciation or Spoonerizing it.
                            The Mossgoss Pell became the Pell for short. I still call any reference notebook I’m keeping – with standards, measurements etc, The Pell. I also still communicate with Djim (his nickname).
                            There.
                            Simple.

Makes total sense to me, now that you explain it. I too I’m surprised I didn’t figure that one out.

Mike L

Ah.
                                The origin of The Pell.

There.
                                Simple.

Thanks! That was, actually, very interesting and told like a true engineer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.