Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity "Winner’s Guilt" in art?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    hmshood5

Has anyone ever felt a little self conscious for performing well at an art show… especially when the uber professionals present didn’t sell as many pieces as you did- or not at all?
        I do mostly space/astronomically related paintings, and I just recently displayed my work at a large space art show. Other artists there have been rendering art for years, even decades. Most of them come from a STEM background, hold advanced degrees in engineering or astronomy, have had formal art training and their work is well known and recognized in the field. My display was right in between two veteran space artists: one holds advanced degrees in physics and astronomy and has works that have been used in documentaries, magazines, books, movies and even NASA simulators. The other has a long formal art training, has written books on the subject (I actually own one!) and has had his work displayed in museums, planetariums, and the aforementioned books, mags, etc.
        And then there was me: blue-collar worker, community college dropout, severe mathphobe who couldn’t explain Newton’s Laws to save his life and no real formal art training to speak of… and who has only been painting for about two years. I felt like a mouse surrounded by giants. A true case of Imposters Syndrome if there ever was one.
        And sure enough, I outsold not only my two neighbors , but many other uber professionals as well. Of course, I felt quite proud of myself at first. And the other artists said that they were happy for me, but as the days went on, I felt more and more ashamed of my performance like I was an obnoxious upstart who shouldn’t have been there. I can’t even talk about it on FB or anywhere else, for fear that someone will say that I’m bragging. I began to feel that I didn’t deserve this- that the other artists should have gotten those sales and that success, not me. I feel a bit like a thief that had “stolen” those sales.
        Incidentally, I have been seeing a therapist for depression recently, so that has a lot to do with it.

Do any other artists feel this way? How do they deal with it?

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
        www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

Use Her Name

You will tie your brain in a knot if you think that way. Maybe think this way: You know how people always say things like “Oh if only life were fair, I would be …” (when it is obvious you are just a young whippersnapper/upstart). Well, you have just seen life being fair, allowing the young whippersnapper to get the better of the old dogs. But sly old dogs are sly and they will persist. They did not get to be sly old dogs because of talent. (Oh no! I just said that). In many cases, the winner of the game is the one who keeps his feet the longest. In many cases, the winner won because he stuck around the longest time. Maybe you should consider that you made the sales because you deserved it– and maybe a lot of the old dogs have been sleepwalking, thinking they will continue to win as usual. So you are their wake up call, their reality check.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

La_

sorry you’re battling yourself over this
                i hope you stop soon and quietly enjoy the sales you do get.
                arrogance isn’t necessary, but there’s nothing wrong with a little self pride – give yourself a hug, man, you did good!

you don’t mention #’s, but i expect $ might have something to do with it – i expect you Undervalue your work, financially.

i’m off to do a market today – hoping to sell out and do a happy dance
                hahahahahah
                it’ll never happen, but i’d do a happy dance for one sale ’cause it feels good to be validated and cash seems to make that the most real.
                embrace it, really, i may or may not happen again.

la

WFMartin

Has anyone ever felt a little self conscious for performing well at an art show… especially when the uber professionals present didn’t sell as many pieces as you did- or not at all?

Quick answer: Hell, no!

I enter several local art competitions each year. These competitions draw in well known artists from Scottsdale, AZ, and surrounding areas. One year, a flower painting of mine managed to receive a Best of Show, with a cash award, and a sale to the Glendale Arts Council, and from of all possible judges, Ed Mell!

Do you believe for even one minute that I wasn’t as proud as anyone could be to have received such an honor? You bet I was proud! Me, a self-taught, redneck, English-speaking, America-loving, Trump-supporting, upstart artist, with no formal training, and not endowed with the usual gift of “art-speak”, having beat out those elite artists from Scottsdale, with one of my own paintings?

Hell, I came home and put a sign on my wall that stated, “I AM an artist!” (Well, not really!)

YOU need to do the same, my friend (or, at least, FEEL the same), and my most heartfelt congratulations to you, and your excellent, deserving work!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good for YOU ! ! !

Oh…..AND, what Kathy said!:lol:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

DaveCrow

You got into a show and made sales. Be proud of yourself for that. It is not easy. People do not buy art they don’t like. If people were willing to give you money in exchange for your work they obviously saw something of value in it.

I know plenty of professional artists who have entered in shows and events where they have not had a single sale. That is the other side of the coin. You did not “cheat” anyone.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

musket

I am generally a laid back if neurotic cat, but when it comes to competition, I’m cut throat. There’s no point in competing if you don’t want to win. Winning is one of the greatest feelings in the world. So my advice is… learn how to win gracefully, and to lose gracefully. Your work looks pretty damn good to me.

PaintBoss

It’s ok. You are allowed to enjoy it. Feel good. Depression can steal all that. Take the good when it comes.
                                Besides, you too will likely have days when you are not having the sales. And the person/ newby, beside you has stuff flying out the door in sales. 🙂

~Christine
                                🇨🇦

musket

Speaking as a clinical depressive myself, there is the possibility that you’re actually psyching yourself down, as it were, as a hedge against the prospect of entering other shows and not selling as well, if at all, which would only reinforce the idea that you really didn’t deserve to sell as much as you did at this show. Watch out for that. Jumping for joy at first and then brooding about it for one reason or another, well, that’s depression for ya.

redfang

Unless you were aggressively campaigning or blocking people from viewing the other artists you weren’t stealing anything. I have actually seen that happen. . . at a convention artists’ alley. :(

Your work made a connection with the buyers. You have a show and sales to add to your Artist CV, should you ever want to write one. Go with your first instinct to feel happy and proud that your hard work paid off. :)

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

hmshood5

Quick answer: Hell, no!

I enter several local art competitions each year. These competitions draw in well known artists from Scottsdale, AZ, and surrounding areas. One year, a flower painting of mine managed to receive a Best of Show, with a cash award, and a sale to the Glendale Arts Council, and from of all possible judges, Ed Mell!

Do you believe for even one minute that I wasn’t as proud as anyone could be to have received such an honor? You bet I was proud! Me, a self-taught, redneck, English-speaking, America-loving, Trump-supporting, upstart artist, with no formal training, and not endowed with the usual gift of “art-speak”, having beat out those elite artists from Scottsdale, with one of my own paintings?

Hell, I came home and put a sign on my wall that stated, “I AM an artist!” (Well, not really!)

YOU need to do the same, my friend (or, at least, FEEL the same), and my most heartfelt congratulations to you, and your excellent, deserving work!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good for YOU ! ! !

Oh…..AND, what Kathy said!:lol:

Something about AZ and art: this show was in Tucson!

dustlilac

Think of it as a welcome. I did many shows in various fields (art, jewelry, photography, etc) and what happens is the same people tend to frequent the same shows year after year, both sellers and buyers. Buyers are looking for something new, so the sellers that have been selling at that show for years tend to not sell as well simply because well, everyone who was interested bought a piece. Converse is true for new comers, it’s exciting and people want to show support so they sell more than they usually would. It’s not a reflection on theirs or your quality of work, in a way.

bongo

…when it comes to competition, I’m cut throat. There’s no point in competing if you don’t want to win. Winning is one of the greatest feelings in the world….

It was a competition?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                                    STUDIOBONGO

I know how you feel and I get the same guilt, or at least the impostor syndrome. All the time. Or, when I’m doing well. There’s plenty of long stints of loser-ville when absolutely nothing is happening. During those times, I really just buckle down on the work itself and don’t get down on myself. I tend to get down on myself when I’m winning. That’s me though. I never had support from anyone. I had the opposite and often still get really snide comments from even the closest of “friends.”

“I can’t believe people pay that kind of money for your art.”

“People think that’s real art?”

“You only won that award because you’re a Jew.” …”because you are a woman.” …”because you are disabled.” …

These things make it so that I never tell my peers when I make a sale. It’s all because I just assume they want me to fail and think I suck. It’s because I probably think I suck underneath it all and don’t deserve the good things I get.

I am not trained. I did not go to school, and I know my peers with MFAs resent me. They don’t respect me, so why should I tell them I’m getting sales? I’m just being honest here.

All that being said, I have dreadful depression. I am bipolar. I probably have borderline too (I’m guessing). I’m not one to celebrate anything good that happens because I’m used to it being fleeting, or it being pulled out from under me.

It wasn’t until the last 20 years I got into therapy and have been starting to change, and it’s been taking a long, long time to get my perspective on track.

I’m just saying I know how you feel, but despite how I feel and my personal situation, I think you should not feel bad if you are doing well. I also think comparing yourself to others isn’t a great idea, because if you do that when you’re “winning” you might also do that when you’re not, and that won’t be healthy. It’s easier for me to give advice than to apply it to myself, but don’t worry about what the other guy is doing. Just do your thing and know that this stuff ebbs and flows.

I’ve been at it for 35 years and it’s been mostly a struggle. I probably should be doing happy dances when things are going great, but I just don’t know how to do it, and if I did, I don’t want anyone to see it. It’s probably because of my history of my family peeing on any sort of good things that happened for me. Not to sound like a bummer, but that’s just the way it was.

I hope therapy helps you. As negative as I probably sound, it’s actually been helping me a lot. I used to be much worse! Ha ha.

hmshood5

It was a competition?

No, it wasn’t a competition. There are no awards given at this show.
                                                        Perhaps I’m feeling that being relatively new to the scene (only two years), and I haven’t “paid my dues” as of yet, that I shouldn’t be outperforming the established artists. One adage that I always live by is “Don’t embarrass the chief”, and I wonder if some of the established artists think that I’m overstepping. One poster here made an allusion that perhaps I undervalued my work, and I definitely did price my art lower than others. Right now, I don’t consider myself a professional by any means, but rather a hobbyist that makes a little extra money while at it. But I do wonder if perhaps underpricing my work may have fostered some resentment among the other artists?

redfang

On the one hand, you don’t want to undervalue your work in part because people often feel if something is inexpensive there must be something wrong with it. On the other hand, a new artist may not really expect to charge what an established artist can. It’s kind of the worst of all worlds. . . trying to price your work. One interesting bit of advice I heard is to price your work high enough that it makes you just a little uncomfortable. ;)

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.