Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts what adhesive to use on velvet to foamboard

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jman0war

I’d like to glue velvet onto foamboard, looking for suggestions on an adhesive.

I know that people are going to recommend spray adhesive, but i really can’t use that in my space.
        I just have no good way to properly vent that stuff.

Can you think of another adhesive i could use?

Rubber cement maybe use a roller over the velvet to try and spread out any buildups?

Debby

Yes, spray adhesive was my first thought. :) Um, do you need to adhere it to the board completely. My thought was to avoid adhesive altogether and wrap the velvet around the board and staple it to the back. Tho’ I don’t know how thick your foam board is.

Another thought is to adhere the velvet to tissue paper or rice paper with iron on interfacing (ironed on the paper side so as to not crush the velvet), then use white glue sparingly on the paper to foam board. I have used this technique to adhere cloth to book board when making books.

Good luck. And let us know how it goes.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

jman0war

Yes I think I’m going to have to glue it to the foamboard completely.

Maybe I can employ the tissue paper and iron on method you mention.

I might look for some adhesive that could be brushed-on and try and get an even coat. Maybe something that wouldn’t dry out very quickly so I could weight it down and even out buildups.

Debby

I thought of another option… wheat paste. You can make your own with wheat flour and water. The proportions are 1 part wheat flour to 4 parts water. Use a double boiler and stir frequently so you get a smooth paste as it thickens. Tho’ I suspect having a barrier between the fabric and the foam board as I suggested with the paper ironed on would still help in this case. That way either the glue or paste won’t seep through the velvet.

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

EvaJ

Seepage is always a problem with glue so the rice paper would help. Glad
                        Debby had some suggestions because I think my brain is on hold lately. _

Eva :heart:

jman0war

Do you see any problems if i just brushed on Rubber Cement, laid the velvet over it, then used a small roller to get it all flattened perfectly?

http://www.supplygeeks.com/Products/Elmers-No-Wrinkle-Rubber-Cement__EPI234.aspx?CAWELAID=120221650000041474&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120221650000159452&cadevice=c&gclid=CJyd2enS3MkCFQkxaQodRloCNQ

EvaJ

I would try it first on a scrap of the velvet to see if it will work. I think it will but I don’t know how big a piece you are try to get on the foamboard.

Eva :heart:

Debby

What Eva said, try it on a small piece first before committing to the bigger project.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

yes, I am not sure how well the rubber cement will adher to the velvet. Why not a thin coat of one of the thick white glues, such as Aleens or good ole Elmers?

Jennifer Landau
                                    Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Terry 904

Hi J,

Maybe ask Dcam (Derek) as he says he glues all his work to illustration board, and is USA based. I would imagine your biggest concern would be acids in the adhesive.

What I can tell you though is that spray adhesive is superior to brush on application, it is much smoother, and can be applied very thin, but that you should coat both mating surfaces, allowing the adhesive to tack off somewhat before bringing them together and that rolling will not remove a wrinkle, but more likely set it. If it is large-ish the best way is a three person job. Two people holding the sheet taught at the corners, and the third in the centre using hands to smooth the sheet as it is being lowered. Beginning in the centre and working out to the sides along the centreline, and then from there, out towards the ends working from side to side until the ends are reached. Otherwise you risk forming an excess that will turn into a wrinkle when flattened.

If it is smallish, very carefully (be pedantic about this) roll the cloth up on to a length of pvc pipe, postal tube, or similar. A larger diameter is easier that a smaller, but within reason in context to the size of the cloth. It is also more likely not to have a bend in it, unlike a smaller, and this is important. It is just like you would do with a sheet of pastry. Do this on a table, so that you can squat down elbows on table to eye your alignment. Leave a couple of inches hanging off the roll for this purpose. When you have the correct alignment, push the roll away from you until it makes contact with the board, then carefully taking up the tension just a little, lay down the roll, stand up, and simply roll out. It is a one go process, if you have to start lifting back up, you’ve lost the game. With this method, unlike the previous, where the cloth was under tension, this time it is not, therefore do not smooth out from the centre to the sides, but instead press straight down, only, otherwise you will accrue an excess of material that will turn into a wrinkle.

Lastly, glue the entire surface. I recall once having glued just the edges + an X in the centre and this sagged under its own weight when hung.

So these are the methods that work best, just be sure of the absence of acids in your adhesive, and get yourself properly set up first. Also ensure any helper understands perfectly what is going to happen, and what is required of them. If necessary doing a dry run is far preferable to tears, recriminations, and shouting. Ha! Ha!

Cheers,
                                        Terry.

Terry 904

Forgot an important bit, place a piece of kitchen cling foil starting Two or three inches back from the leading edge, onto the glued back before rolling up, and peel away as you unroll. It doesn’t stick but does provide the necessary barrier.

Lena

Don’t use wheat paste! It can get mouldy in humid situations!

For most glueing I use WellBond. It is a white glue I get at the hardware store.

Doll Art by Lena

Any transparent adhesive[/URL] would work just fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.