WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Celebrity Artists... Your Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell.brobeck
As for the rest of this thread, why are people so down on others who don't buy original art?
Not sure if you are referring to my comments, but I wasn't putting down buyers, I was suggesting that marketing of art sucked.

----

Yes! If people are willing to buy $900 handbags, but not a $900 painting, then SOMEONE is marketing well, and someone is not.
Not sure of your point, Robin. Maybe I didn't make my point clear. Just like you I've been to uncomfortable, uptight art exhibit openings. So I think you will agree that the gallery system may not be the best venue for promoting artists.

You are correct. The fashion world does marketing well. It's big business. Fine arts painting, not so much.

I don't think a lot of visual artists would be comfortable with the marriage of art with cut throat business marketing techniques as is done in film, music and fashion. I think a lot of folks who paint are happy not meeting the rules of supply/demand and other pressures.

I did take marketing courses years ago when I was in business college. I think some marketing/sales techniques could be used in local and regional art markets to get more money to people who make good art.

Since I love poetry and am a fan of several modern poets I see a lot of similarity between painters and poets. You can count on your fingers the number of poets who make a living from writing poems alone. Ted Kooser comes to mind. He was the USA's Poet Laureate and an insurance salesman.
old accustomed ways.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

armak: "....I don't think a lot of visual artists would be comfortable with the marriage of art with cut throat business marketing techniques as is done in film, music and fashion. I think a lot of folks who paint are happy not meeting the rules of supply/demand and other pressures...."
----
Why do you suggest the choices are "cut throat business marketing techniques", (emphasis mine) and not selling? As though marketing is immoral?

If people are happy not meeting rules of supply/demand and other pressures, that's their choice. I wouldn't assume that happiness. I see a lot of misery about not being able to sell work at the price they want, in the quantity they want.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Robin, I get the impression from a lot of my artist friends that they would rather not face the realities of painting with business as their primary focus.

Creating is an intensely person endeavor and for some it's a difficult interface with business demands. If you don't like "cut throat" feel free to use your own term. I've worked in business so I have some frame of reference. There's should be nothing moral or immoral about doing business, but the reality is that if things don't sell, there are harsh realities to face in that world.

My suggestion for the takeaway for you from my comments are that I'm here to chat during a downtime period. I'm just voicing my "thoughts" as the title suggests. My days of responding to finger pointing and direct challenging to my opinions are over. It's difficult to summarize a complex topic in a few sentences, but I'm doing my best.

Have a great day, Robin Z!
old accustomed ways.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I don't understand why a discussion is so threatening to you, armak or your attempt to paint me as aggressive "finger pointing".

No personal attacks have been launched, I don't know you, your art, your habits and am responding only to YOUR opinions on a discussion forum. And I don't appreciate your voicing your opinion and then basically dismissing me.

If you don't want any discussion, just stop responding. Or may I suggest if you just want to voice thoughts with no interaction, a blog would work better.
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Your "suggestion for a takeaway" for me is particularly passive aggressive and patronizing.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:22 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by armak
You are correct. The fashion world does marketing well. It's big business. Fine arts painting, not so much.

Perhaps it is time for artists to start then. :-)
Some have already done so. Go do a web search for the artist Leonid Afremov, and perhaps click on a link or two in his websites. If you have the same experience as I, you'll find that for the next few weeks, whenever a website has ads on it, ads for his work will be included. Now that is aggressive marketing, considering it's art.

I must presume he's rich enough to afford it, so now he gets even richer, and he's turning himself into a sort of celebrity, so before long you'll see him playing cameos in films or releasing an album of his singing or whatever too.

As noted before: fame tends to feed on itself.
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
Very true, though one does have to roll the dice to stand any chance at all, and the more you roll them the better your chances get. Ans this is one of the annoying things about trying to make it as artist: you have to become very social, whether that is your natural inclination or not.

I think this is true, with few exceptions, no matter how you sell. Obviously, festivals and openings are social. But even those who sell privately to collectors have to go to their parties, meet their friends, take them to dinner, host open studios, social media it, etc.

And even online doesn't exempt the "social" price to pay. I think it's a skill that comes easy for some, has to be cultivated for others. I've seen really skilled artists complain about interacting via email with prospective customers, getting offended by questions, etc.

We are in a different world than we were 50 or so years ago regarding art sales.

Last edited by RobinZ : 08-21-2017 at 12:30 PM.
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
Perhaps it is time for artists to start then. :-)
Some have already done so. Go do a web search for the artist Leonid Afremov, and perhaps click on a link or two in his websites. If you have the same experience as I, you'll find that for the next few weeks, whenever a website has ads on it, ads for his work will be included. Now that is aggressive marketing, considering it's art.

I must presume he's rich enough to afford it, so now he gets even richer, and he's turning himself into a sort of celebrity, so before long you'll see him playing cameos in films or releasing an album of his singing or whatever too.

As noted before: fame tends to feed on itself.

He sells very well on Etsy, too.
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ

stop responding.
old accustomed ways.
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Many are called, few are chosen.

What an artist needs most is someone who believes in their work, has connections to people with deep pockets, and is something of a taste maker-- more or less, somebody other people want to be like, or even want to be. I was fortunate in this respect. Even though she never bought a piece for herself, she was responsible, directly or indirectly, for the sale of quite a few to others. I wouldn't have sold a good third of what I produced without her help. She was something of a minor celebrity herself, in the fashion world.

Just luck of the draw.

A muse with money and connections. Send one my way please.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 04:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Like I said, just luck, but even had she not helped with selling the work, I was lucky to know her. She died eight years ago of a cerebral aneurysm at fifty-one.