WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States
Re: Travel Easel Advice

Here's a couple of good threads on hand-made carriers. That seems easy enough, to be honest:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177825
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=283640

This looks like a pochade box worth having, but a bit out of my price range (alla prima): https://allaprimapochade.com/collect...14-yellowstone
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States

And for other reference, I found this blog review, which seems as if there are a lot of different options to read through: http://linesandcolors.com/2008/08/17/pochade-boxes/
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States

Back with photos. It's WICKED rickety. Definitely problems at the tripod head. The photos I've uploaded show a thin line of light where the box meets the tripod head. Apparently that causes the box to move all over the place. These photos are a smaller and larger guerrilla box with the guerrilla tripod.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBurns2000
Back with photos. It's WICKED rickety. Definitely problems at the tripod head. The photos I've uploaded show a thin line of light where the box meets the tripod head. Apparently that causes the box to move all over the place. These photos are a smaller and larger guerrilla box with the guerrilla tripod.

In this picture, though you show a barely visible potential bowing of the metal plate, what you show clearly is a larger gap between the tripod quick release plate and the tripod head mechanism. That alone would be a major source of instability. I found that I had to fix that first of all, or nothing you do to the box will make enough difference. This is true of all tripods in this situation (and I don't have the GP version, so I can't speak to theirs.)
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Got to agree with BartC. This is an issue with the ballhead\mounting plate. The plate itself looks to be flush with the box.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Colorado

Yeah, take it off and start over. In the picture it looks like something's sticking up from the tripod head near the locking latch - probably the button that the plate is supposed to push down on - keeping the plate from lying flush to the head.

Unlock and unlatch the plate. Make sure the plate is pushing that button down before re-latching and re-locking.

In Judson's instructional video here (at about 2:42), you'll see the plate flush to the tripod head before locking. Something's interfering with that fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owV1XGV8mg0

If a re-attach after watching the video doesn't fix it, get ahold of them at Judsonsart.com (which on second thought may now be guerrillapainter.com).

Kos

Edit: - yep, guerrillapainter.com now; and here's the printed instructions just in case.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...47523327351407
Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone

Last edited by Kosmon : 08-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 PM

By the way, so many pochades are the box/easel combo on top of a camera type tripod. As I mentioned, the tripod head is the weak spot in this in that it has to carry a heavy load that's leveraged (cameras are very light compared to a full box of paints and your pressure on the easel/canvas.) So there is an alternative: https://guerrillapainter.com/collect...s/campaign-box That type of "shelf" box can be held on a more traditional field tripod and I don't think the weight issue comes into play. Just another alternative. Those field tripods can come fairly cheaply. Heavy head tripods are not cheap at all.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM

One last idea for you. Take a look at this on eBay. I haven't seen one live so have no idea how sturdy it might be. http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Art-Suppl...l/292162542195
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States

That guerrilla painter box looks like a better deal. So let me get this straight, the box attaches to the legs of the tripod and the easel part attaches on top? If the tripod itself is stable enough, that might make a difference.

I'm going to be trying out a friends french easel this week, probably Wed, just to see how that works out.

The tripod in those photos is actually a guerrilla tripod. The woman who owns that setup has apparently sent it back to them twice and they've just said something akin to "sometimes that happens". Kind of a lousy answer to be honest. She puts something in that gap to help stabilize it. Next time I'm over at her studio I'll give your suggestions a shot. I think the problem is the clamp part. As you noted, it's just not flush, but I don't think it's not flush because of something sticking out. I think it's not flush because the clamp is bowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartc
By the way, so many pochades are the box/easel combo on top of a camera type tripod. As I mentioned, the tripod head is the weak spot in this in that it has to carry a heavy load that's leveraged (cameras are very light compared to a full box of paints and your pressure on the easel/canvas.) So there is an alternative: https://guerrillapainter.com/collect...s/campaign-box That type of "shelf" box can be held on a more traditional field tripod and I don't think the weight issue comes into play. Just another alternative. Those field tripods can come fairly cheaply. Heavy head tripods are not cheap at all.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 PM
the beach

Hails from United States

Quote:
I'm primarily a studio painter, but due to some restrictions with my studio, I need to get outside a bit more. I've never owned a travel easel, but I have heard some frustrating things about them, mostly that most are rickety with regards to holding the canvas or board in place.

So I got the recent Jerry's catalog and was flipping through the pages. There's just so many choices. I'm primarily an oil painter, but I'd use it for that and watercolor and charcoal, too. I'm willing to spend a couple of hundred for something decent that can hold my colors / supplies, but really doesn't jerk the surface around while I'm trying to work on it. I guess it doesn't really matter the size it holds, as long as it's more than 18" high.

Does anyone have any ups and downs of their travel easels they'd like to share? Any recent good threads on here I might have missed?

________
I had an Open Box M for years but recently ditched it because on a recent painting trip, I spent too much time trying to tighten the screws, keep it from flopping around, etc. The side clamps no longer tightened well enough to keep my panel from falling down.

I watched several videos, demos, reviews, etc. on various easels. Because I paint more in the studio than out, at least at present, I went with En Plein Air Pro....I thought for the amount of time I paint outdoors at present it was a good transition. I've yet to take it outdoors because of commissions to fulfill in studio, but I'll let you know. I thought when I reached a time I was painting outdoors nearly everyday, I would then go a step above.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
The tripod in those photos is actually a guerrilla tripod. The woman who owns that setup has apparently sent it back to them twice and they've just said something akin to "sometimes that happens". Kind of a lousy answer to be honest. She puts something in that gap to help stabilize it. Next time I'm over at her studio I'll give your suggestions a shot. I think the problem is the clamp part. As you noted, it's just not flush, but I don't think it's not flush because of something sticking out. I think it's not flush because the clamp is bowed.
I've had this happen with other tripods, where one quick release plate is flush and another is not from the same manufacturer and model. They really are just plastic items. From those photos, that's where her problem lies. As to why GP would put out one specific to their product that is defective, that I cannot answer.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Sounds like a cheaply made tripod\ballhead. There should be no plastic parts.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Try mounting it such that the front of the box extends in the same direction as the handle. They way it's fitted in the photos, the handle is sticking out to the side, and all the stress from the box's (unbalanced) weight is being applied to the locking lever for the quick release plate.

I doubt that the plate is bowing if it's made of metal. It's more likely to be not getting pulled down, or held down, properly by the locking lever. In turn, the spindle on the lever and the bush it passes through will be getting stressed and could wear prematurely.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Z
Try mounting it such that the front of the box extends in the same direction as the handle. They way it's fitted in the photos, the handle is sticking out to the side, and all the stress from the box's (unbalanced) weight is being applied to the locking lever for the quick release plate.

I doubt that the plate is bowing if it's made of metal. It's more likely to be not getting pulled down, or held down, properly by the locking lever. In turn, the spindle on the lever and the bush it passes through will be getting stressed and could wear prematurely.

IME, the weighting of the box and the leverage effect is a very important factor in stability in this kind of setup.

When I DIY, before I fix the location on the bottom of the box, I load it the way I would normally and roll it on a small ball, marble, etc. to see where the true resting point would lie. It often is NOT actually the center of the box bottom. Adding to that the weight of the canvas and the pressure you put on that and you can imagine that the leverage will stress the security of the connections to the tripod.

But I still see that the tripod head itself is the really weakest point in these arrangements, which would otherwise be very solid compared with traditional French easels.

This isn't "rocket science" but it truly is basic physics!