WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 AM

Ugly frames are better for picture?

Ok, here is a recent experience. I went to a new private shop to have some large acrylic paintings framed.I tend to look at alot of choices, as i feel that i'll know the right frame for the picture. The framer however, was telling me most artists come in for two choices. One-a frame that slants inwards, as she claimed it is suppose to draw the eye in. The second, a cheap white frame, as most people change the frame out anyway, so why spend the money.And also, people will ignore it to look at the painting. I tried the white frames against the edges of my work and was appalled. It was so ugly and clashing there was no way i was using white. Maybe its just me and i see past frames, but to me, a nice complementary frame even more unifies the work. To me, if i saw a bad frame, i would think the artist had lost some taste, and if did want to buy the artwork, i'd have additional expense. She did what i wanted, but kept telling me i'd be sorry.
So i guess my question is-is there frame theory? I do my work to please myself, so if i dont sell it, i might hang it. And i wouldnt want to re-do the frame because i followed a sellers rule by getting an ugly frame. I'd appreciate any feedback or experience from you. Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:18 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales
Re: Ugly frames are better for picture?

Framing my own work I either recycle old frames and paint them to suite the particular painting or paint something to suite the frame if it’s a nice frame. Otherwise I make new wood frames and finish them bright if the wood is interesting or paint them which ever is most appropriate. I never use white frames but sometimes use plane black frames for drawings.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I have heard of plenty of artists using cheap black frames, but not cheap white ones. And when you look at what's for sale on art supply places, most of the frames, cheap or not, are not white. I agree with you that a decent frame that is matched to the painting somehow or other, at least a black frame with a dark painting and wood colored frame with a lighter one, helps create more unity.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast

What I tend to see at plein air shows are gold, black, or wood. Pretty much the same in galleries. I have never heard of white frames.

I know I would be put off by a white frame because it would mean I would know that I was paying for a frame I was going to have to throw away and replace.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

Cheap black frames are the best and still allow the work to shine and not break the bank if the collector decides to change it out once it leaves your possession.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:28 PM

thank you for the replies. I had done my own thing and did what i thought was best for the paintings and i am glad i did what i felt, and not was i was told. One of the paintings i didnt even like, but after the framing, wow, it pulled the piece together for me. Of the three two went toward a dyed wood and one a more modern, brown with gold edge. I will be trying another shop next time, as although the work seems to be done well, the owner kept me out of the loop as to the completion of the framing.