WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2016, 06:05 PM

Need a little help with composition...

I'm trying to come up with a composition for a painting I'm working on. I've attached the thumbnail. The person I'm doing the painting for wants a picture of trees and mountains. I'm doing the trees/leaves in gold leaf against a cloudy blue/grey sky and a dark, shadowy mountain. I wanted some of the grass to have hints of gold leaf as well. I'm just not sure if I'm leaving too much negative space...

Also, the small dot in the picture would have been a person in the distance, but I'm thinking of scrapping that idea.

Any tips?
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Southern OK

Hails from United States
Re: Need a little help with composition...

I think you have the workings for a pretty good composition. I think that the person could work and give it a focal point. Right now that is the focal point. I would recommend considering adding more trees on the left side, but giving them variety in size and placement. Otherwise it will look like they were planted in a row at the same time.

The area in the middle acts like a road that can be helpful in leading the eye into the picture. However, a road, path or river that leads straight into the picture can lead the eye too fast. I would suggest creating a path of some kind that snakes around or at least place shadows or some kind of texture running more in a horizontal direction across the path to slow down the eye. Otherwise the eye of the view will move and lightening speed from the foreground to that center of interest. It is usually better to create a path where the eye can stroll through the picture as you lead it.

Keep in mind also to try to keep your values darker and colors brighter toward the foreground and make them lighter and cooler as they recede.

Hope that helps a bit.

Keith

keithmurrayart.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 PM
A WC! Legend

Please keep the person.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Nice comp, yes, Are you using two-point perspective? With an impromptu comp like this, (I'm assuming) applying some rules afterwards, but only a little bit, can help if you think hthat something is missing.