WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Prince Edward Island

Hails from Canada
Protect a Painting

I posted this question in the Acrylic section, but I'm thinking perhaps mixed media might be more appropriate? I have been making Painted Bags, I paint with various types of paint (acrylic, fabric, latex..and markers...on canvas) and up until now when I've completed a bag I've used a Spray to protect/seal the surface, so that the surface doesn't get too stiff. But now I'm submitting a piece for an ARt show, it's a huge bag...but since it won't be carried around I'm wondering if there isn't some other medium that I should be using, something painters use, perhaps something that brushes on. Or do you folks ever use sprays at the end?

The spray I use is a gloss spray suggested for art, crafts and other projects.

This is my first piece of 'art' and I have no idea what I'm supposed to use to protect the finished piece.

And thanks!
Gail
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: Protect a Painting

If this will be strictly for display, and never actually used, you've got a lot of possible products you could use. I think you're going to have to do tests to make sure that whatever you choose won't make any of your colorants run, but besides your spray (acrylic, I presume?), you could also try a varnish (spray or brush on) or even a two-part resin. The last would make it very stiff and completely unusable, but would be the most permanent protection.

I'm not really sure that you need to use a different product than you're already using, though. Best wishes for a great show!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Prince Edward Island

Hails from Canada

Ya...I'm thinking what I'm using is likely good. I just suddenly thought, 'oh gosh, this is art, not a bag, I wonder if I'm missing something in the 'protecting it' step. And although it will hang, I still need it to have some subtleness to it, I'm thinking in transporting and hanging, it will need to move, and I wouldn't want it to be stiff, it's stiff enough on it's own I think just with the layers of paint.

Thanks!
Gail
Here's a glimpse, each side is 3x4ft, I'll sew it up today, and put on huge square handles I recycled. It's for an Art Auction and Fundraiser. My first Art Show! And I have to say, I loved working on such a big scale, makes me want to run out and buy some humungous canvases.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

That is so much fun! I agree with you...I don't think you should mess with the finish too much.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Hails from Australia

Hi Gail,

I've been searching through the threads looking for a place to ask my questions.....and I've found your post with a totally different need , but one I have dealt with recently !!!

I donated some sepia paintings (sketches) which were acrylic on unprimed calico....they are 6' x 4'...and I thought "just a bit of fun".....But I have had a framing company phone me asking how best to conserve these works as they are about to frame some of them !!!!!! LOL !

I kept one which didn't reach the reserve of $1000 Au. !!!!!!!....so I had a 'go' at sealing and varnishing it... experimentally.

After trying several different products....I have concluded the best results by far are from a product made by an Aussie company . I can give you its name ...but I figure if I give you the product description you will be able to find a suitable similar product.

It is a POLYMER GLOSS VARNISH....(A PURE ACRYLIC RESIN SUSPENDED IN WATER)......(it has several uses including as a glue in mixed media)

When used as a varnish it needs to be pre-diluted with water ...and it dries to a tough pliable water-resistant film.

IMO...It is the best thing on material I have yet found ....and it doesn't dry glossy ! ( it is easily folded or rolled etc , and feels just a little firmer than my thin calico, but not much at all !)

BTW...I don't like its very glossy results on my well-prepped , gessoed and well-finished fine art acrylic paintings....Way too glossy !!!!

I hope this is of some help to you !!! I love what you are doing , and sounds like so much fun as well !

Cheers ...Jill
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Jill, that sounds like a wonderful product, thanks for sharing about it. And btw, your horses are STUNNING!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Prince Edward Island

Hails from Canada

Thanks Jill. I'll see if I can find something similar.

Gail