Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Getting flat, consistent, opaque color out of Gouache?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    0125a3c

So in the pre-computer days you saw a lot of artwork with extremely flat, consistent color– no brush strokes. It looks like it was done on a computer. Particularly in animation cels, just blocks of color. I know that they used gouache for a lot of this type of work, but I often have trouble achieving the effect.

I’ve been trying to narrow down whether it comes down to technique, materials or a combination. I use holbein artists gouache and hot press paper, and I think what color you use is a big factor– certain colors, in my case ‘permanent yellow deep’ just don’t seem to lay down evenly. The appearance is vaguely splotchy. Not mixing paints thoroughly is also a recipe for this.

If anyone else has tried this style of painting, what tips have you found?

I have no expertise in this. I have noticed that even a small amount of white will lead to smoother wash. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Use fresh paint and a large brush. Check out recent Youtube videos by Sandra Ruberto.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

0125a3c

Thanks, I checked out one of her videos and she had some decent tips. The main thing seems to be that some colors just aren’t opaque, I don’t know why I presumed that they are… I just associated gouache with being flat. Unfortunately Holbein doesn’t seem to list opacity information, I guess this is why people do swatches.

Thanks, I checked out one of her videos and she had some decent tips. The main thing seems to be that some colors just aren’t opaque, I don’t know why I presumed that they are… I just associated gouache with being flat. Unfortunately Holbein doesn’t seem to list opacity information, I guess this is why people do swatches.

check the pigment listed here http://www.artiscreation.com/Color_index_names.html#.XT8JxPx7kUE

What makes something opaque or not is the pigment used, and the pigment will be listed.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Gwen Solvaag

The Holbein yellow you are using, Permanent Yellow Deep, consists of the pigment PY1, Hansa Yellow G which is a transparent yellow. If you want an opaque yellow, try Holbein’s Cadmium Yellow or Cadmium Yellow Lemon which use PY35 an opaque yellow. Their Cadmium Yellow Orange surprisingly lists the composition as being PY108, which is Cadmium Red, another opaque pigment.
                Since, Holbein does not list the opaqueness of their gouaches, you have to use another source.
                I use the Dick Blick website when I want to learn about the pigment composition of the paints. On their Holbein Artists’ Gouache web page you can click on the magnifying glass icon to the left of each color to view a color swatch, and more importantly the pigment information. Upon reading about each pigment there will be a mention of whether it is transparent or opaque.
                You can also see if any color you like, is a single pigment or a mixture of several pigments.
                Good look with your gouache painting!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.