Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Connections ~ xPost AbstractContemporary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

16×12 mixed watermedia on Italia 140 lb cold press paper completed yesterday, an abstract experiment prompted by seeing downed power lines in past hurricane’s aftermath in Puerto Rico. Media used: Watercolor, India ink, and white gesso. I used a 1.5″ flat Daler Rowney brush.

First step: Wet in wet watercolor arylide yellow + quinacridone gold applied.

Next was full strength India ink (Dr. Ph. Martin’s yellow ochre, terra cotta, Higgins black) added to wet wc’s.

Undiluted white gesso was put on over various ink areas.

Diluted gesso (half water/half gesso) mingled with ink and wc.

Watercolor brushed over some wet gesso or ink was next.

Diluted ink w/ water, gesso, and wc mixed together was applied.

Intense ink using the black ink was last. Paint allowed to mix and run. Small lines scratched using bevel tip 1″ flat brush.

C&C welcome :cool:

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

ronsu18

thank you so much for describing the process! how do you come up with these things, adding gesso to ink, can’t wait to try this since have been searching granulating b&w transitions.

this is so different from your usual watermedia “polaroids”, stolen moments. it has a nerve like plein air, happening, but it’s a microscope not a painting. seeing it is like seeing a map, i zoom in straight away as if the details are what matters. the big picture is distress, up close the pinkish highlights are very sensual, very tactile, connecting; the black up right is like involuntary connection, one substance dissolving, the surroundings interfered.. this is very, very rich in all kinds of associations. you must frame it else there’ll be noseprints on the image. 😊

C&C welcome

Thanks ronsu! I almost got lost in my own mess with this one.

Kay

Wicked & sad depiction of downed power lines. 2 images “connected”? Differing viewpoints, they are connected, and yet … not. One facing front, one facing right. Both seem to be crying. And yet smiling. Probably is a “higher” & “happier” meaning (e.g., insurance provides even better & stronger power lines).

Interesting process of its creation, thanks for sharing this.

Elle Amde

Never fear; always persevere.

Thank you Elle!

Kay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.